• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tengami - impressive paper pop-up adventure game by former Rare developers

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Tengami looks like it could be one of those rare examples, where concept, art and game mechanics integrate in a seamless and innovative way.

Basically Tengami is an adventure game in both 2D and 3D, inspired by Japanese art and dark fairy tales, and pop-up books. All the puzzles are solved by manipulating the pop-up environment in a realistic way - pulling, opening/closing, turning the ‘paper’ (and a few other mechanics as well as combinations).

Initially they’ll release it for iPad (in 6-9 months), but versions for PC, Mac and iPhone are planed.

Interview with designer Phil Tossell:
http://www.modojo.com/features/tengami_interview_with_designer_phil_tossell/

Site with a trailer and screenshots:
http://nyamyam.com/games

Screenshot (click for a larger version):

EDIT: Just read that the animation for the main character isn’t final - so that’s why it looks a bit stiff at the moment.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

That’s lovely.  I’m looking forward to playing it.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

definitely interested.. the art style has a lot of potential.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Let’s do some necroposting!

The game got released a few days ago and I’ve played a little bit of it. For the moment, it’s been a very, very, very pretty Japanese-themed Samorost. The reviews mention that it’s fairly short, but then again for $5 I’m fine with that if it’s good.

Has anyone else been playing it?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Preordered, but it hasn’t been released for PC yet.  Embarassed

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, I’ve finished the game and it gets a meh from me. It’s very pretty and the presentation is very original, but it also feels very slight. It’s very short (a couple of hours), and yet it manages to feel like the concept is getting stretched too much.

The game never really seems to be going anywhere, gameplaywise or storywise. By the end of the game, I felt like I had no better understanding of the strange world it was taking place in than I did at first, nor did I feel that I had progressed to a more advanced level of gameplay. You just explore a level and solve some Samorost-like puzzles, then another level, then a third level (with the puzzles starting to get recycled), and then it’s over and you get some haiku and you wonder why you really bothered with all this.

Ultimately, it wasn’t an unpleasant experience, but it was a very shallow one – like a 30-minute proof-of-concept that got artificially stretched to a 2-hour game. It’s certainly no Year Walk.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I did buy this game to play on my ipad. It does look good and is very different from your average adventure game.

I haven’t played it long enough to know more about it - but my initial impressions are good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top