• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The US: Still the capital of adventure games?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Speaking of which, The Book of Unwritten Tales just scored 9 on IGN. I believe only Ceville and few more scored 9.

Oscar - 16 August 2012 03:17 AM

Yes, of course it’s subjective, though I was asking you personally.

Well sure TBOUT, TWW, Ceville, Secret Files, Ankh 1 which I’ve played… together with Czech Amanita Design are examples which successfully “upgrade” “old-school”, and blending it with modern stuff like more user-friendly interface. What I especially like about those titles is, even though they might not be the hardest games you’ll play, their ideology IS to make themselves challenging.

Oscar - 16 August 2012 03:17 AM

I just thought that if, in your opinion, Germany is ‘hot’ right now it wouldn’t be simply because they produce and consume the most stuff. And I’m not sure if even that’s true.

Well, I don’t know who wins “most adventure per year” battle between US and Germany, but it’s irrelevant because I was only speaking of a quantity that comes from popularity - like, Daedalic was named Studio of the Year in Germany, and adventure games traditionally gets several prizes at the biggest Game Developers Award there.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-08-16

PM

@jhetfield21
of cource i was referring to the golden age in the US but im not disagreeing with you,im not against cooperation neither do i beleive that rivalry is the only way to success.
what i wanted to say was that like in music or films where some styles and genres could be traced back to a certain city or country and you would say that this country/city is the capital of this genre,when you played a AG of certain quality and style back during the golen age you knew it was made in the US and nobody would disagree that the US where the capital of AG.you cant say that now for any country with the same certainty, making the term a little irrelevant.
i am also totally satisfied with games today and i like that many small,indy developers are producing quality and original games,i just meant that no country is dominant enough to be called capital…

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

[deleted] read Kurufinwe’s list.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh, now that’s interesting, Fien. Never knew it’s a relatively large number of Japanese games. Lack of German titles had been discussed - and excuse me for bringing another soccer analogy (I’ll stop, I promise) but - Germany (and not only Germany, mind you) won several World/European Cups without some really big stars or “worlds best players”, but rather as a strong team. So, I’m content with getting steady income of adventures, where it might just happen that some of it will be to my taste rather than waiting too long for a big hit.

Fien - 16 August 2012 06:28 AM

So, it’s really the Big Two that make the difference in the scores. Interesting.

Yes, but I’m more surprised at the “38” titles from “other”. I suspect big part of it is from 90s which is another argument for the obvious US rather then solely Lucas/Sierra “dominance” .

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 16 August 2012 04:54 AM
Advie - 15 August 2012 09:34 PM

Maybe US will take the lead once again, but until further notice that is the way it is.
with Daedalic Entertainment , Deck13 , Cranberry Production , Autumn Moon Entertainment , KING Art Games , Animation Arts ..... by Giving the Best Adventures out there for while.

Autumn Moon Entertainment is a US game development studio but rest of German developers gushing from all over the country.

3d-io Wiesbaden
Pherry Rodan

Animation Arts Creative Leipzig
Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Lost Horizon

Daedalic Hamburg
Harvey’s New Eyes
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Deponia
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
1954: Alcatraz
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Deck13 Frankfurt
Haunted
Jack Keane
Jack Keane 2
Black Sails
Ankh
Ankh: Battle of the Gods
Ankh: Heart of Osiris

Cranberry Hannover
The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura
Black Mirror II
Black Mirror III
Mata Hari

HEUREKA-Klett Stuttgart
Bioscopia: Where Science Conquers Evil
Chemicus: Journey to the Other Side
Physicus: Save the World with Science!

KING Art Bremen
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Critter Chronicles

Realmforge Munich
Ceville

Silver Style Berlin
Everlight: Of Magic & Power
Simon the Sorcerer 4
Simon the Sorcerer 5
Goin’ Downtown

Now who’s competing with Germany today US or UK,dont make me laugh.

Thanks a lot Gabe for the Detailed List of Geramn Developers and their Adventures , nevertheless for Correcting me.

WE need cool down about Facts, Its Germany on the top of the scene , if we are going to Talk about the 80’s and early 90’s and the best 100 Adventures of All times ,then Lets make another thread with one post, US Created and Ruled the Genre Once a Time ago in another mellinium

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 16 August 2012 06:28 AM

I had a look at AG’s Top Hundred.

36 non-American developers:
British 8 - (4, 19, 27, 44, 73, 86, 88, 91)
French 8 - (15, 20, 26, 53, 55, 56, 57, 74)
Japanese 8 - (29, 39, 41, 47, 60, 65, 68, 77)
Czech 3 - (17, 54, 83)
Norwegian 2 - (2, 52)
Swedish 2 - (34, 87)
Spanish (97); Slovenian (94); Australian (33); German (54); Ukraine (80)

That leaves 64 American games:  26 classics by the Big Two: Sierra + LucasArts and 38 adventures by other American developers. So, it’s really the Big Two that make the difference in the scores. Interesting.

FWIW, I had made this count at the time, with slightly different totals (and I’ve just checked, my totals are right; you’re totally robbing Canada).

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

[deleted]

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 16 August 2012 12:17 PM

Yeah, well… I guess Microids is French to me. To you it’s Canadian? Heh. And how come you have 7 Japanese games where I have 8? Must be a Canadian-based Japanese company.

Microids is French, but the Syberias and Still Life were developed by their Canadian studio, so I count them as Canadian. And I counted Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as a US game, but I guess that must have been a typo in my spreadsheet, since the studio that made the game is actually UK-based. So that’s one more British game in the Top-100.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

[deleted] read Kurufinwe’s list.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Wikipedia says otherwise.

(stupid spam filter)sdklfmjd;lskjgdf;lkb ;lfkdf;lk’; ;ldfkg;lfkbn;lnk ae;owkgr;kn ojkg;rgkepowjkb peoswjkrpofdjk gjksdfojkf’p;f

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I totally forgot Silent Hill made the list. Then definitely Belgium is robbed as Outcast should be there, too. Or more British ones - Gremlin’s Realms of the Haunting or Azrael’s Tear?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Japan and Europe produce the vast majority of adventure games I purchase. I can’t recall the last American game I got.

Thumbs Up

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

[deleted]

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I hadn’t seen your edit before I made my post.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-08-15

PM

We are developing our new adventure in Germany, with the help of artists from Poland, a Russian animator, a British sound studio and an Austrian publisher who’s mother company is from Sweden with PR and marketing guys from the US.

I don’t think it’s that important where an adventure game was made as long as it is a good game.  And I think the Hype-O-Meter(TM) never looked more promicing in the last years.

Jan
KING Art

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top