• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best replayable AG serial of all times

Poll: Which one do you think is the most replayable ag series of all times?
Total Votes: 50
Broken Sword series
Gabriel Knight "
Indiana Jones
King’s Quest
Monkey Island
Myst
Phoenix Wright
Portal
Sam & Max
Syberia
Tex Murphy series
Zork series

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Which one do you think is the most replayable ag series of all times?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Syberia for me everytime i replay them , i discover new touching moments , i would have chosen Myst, but i never replay one and finish it, seems like they lose their greatness once you new what you are supposed to do, something like Usual Suspects the movie, such a Great Movie it is but hard to watch again

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Quest for Glory probably should be on the list, considereing there’s already 3 different paths built into the games - fighter, magic user, thief.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

I think visuals and design quality quite time proof for myst series (except the first one)one can still play riven with some wonder.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Syberia may can count as same,BS,MI,S&M remastered somehow but one can only dream
Riven gets remastered.

Oscar - 07 August 2012 08:42 AM

Quest for Glory probably should be on the list, considereing there’s already 3 different paths built into the games - fighter, magic user, thief.

I picked the series rated 4.5 and above only besides there is no 13th option available for poll.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I can play the original two Broken Sword games over and over, however that’s it for me. I didn’t care too much for the third game and the fourth is garbage.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Have to go Gabriel!

It’s the series that I have re-played the most and whilst I certainly enjoy other series of games, this is the most consistently good throughout for me.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I voted for Monkey Island simply because that’s the series I HAVE replayed most (minus Escape from Monkey Island, which I played once, and will likely never play again). What makes it most replayable for me is that, even if I remember the solutions to most of the puzzles each time, the humor is still just as enjoyable (and sometimes I still manage to find a new amusing interaction that I don’t recall from before).

For first time playthrough, I enjoyed the Myst games most out of this list (not all of which I have played), but while I HAVE replayed them all at least once, the effort I put into cracking a lot of the challenging puzzles means I am unlikely to EVER forget the solutions, so the only real benefit to a replay is to look at all the gorgeous environments again. With a minimal story, and no humor value like MI has, it just isn’t that attractive to replay them as often.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I voted for the Myst series since I had replayed them much more times than any other series (especially Riven). Not for the riddles, but mostly for admiring the small details in the worlds and (most importantly) the story background for them (except perhaps Myst 5. Unlike Uru, I never really liked it, not to mention replaying it). It feels like reading a good old book. However, I am surprised with the lack of votes for both Tex Murphy and Indiana Jones, since The Pandora Directive and The Fate of Atlantis can be played through many different ways = replayability….

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I replayed the Broken Sword trilogy (note the word trilogy) by far the most. It’s the series that got me into AGs and still my favorite series. I played BS1 4 times, BS2 3 times and BS3 6 times. Come to think of it I think it’s time for another replay of BS3. Wink Runner up would be Monkey Island but only because I played COMI 3 times. Which is funny cause I like Tales much better. Time for a TOMI replay I say!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Voted GK.

Not surprised Myst is in the lead. When I replayed the first 3 games after a few years, it was like a new experience. I didn’t recall puzzle solutions like you would for an more inventory-based game.

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

That’s a tough one, but for me, it has to be GK. Too much reading in Myst.

Second choice would be Broken Sword.

Third would be Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

inm8#2 - 07 August 2012 01:35 PM

When I replayed the first 3 games after a few years, it was like a new experience. I didn’t recall puzzle solutions like you would for an more inventory-based game.

It’s funny, I have the exact opposite experience. I find the solutions to Myst puzzles are FAR more imprinted on my brain than any inventory-based stuff, probably because they engaged my brain more. The harder I have to work at the solution, the better I remember it. A lot of times in inventory-based puzzles that I had a hard time with, the solution came simply from trying everything with everything, because I had given up trying to reason out a solution. But since going that route doesn’t engage my brain as much, I’m more likely to forget the specifics (unless I’m stuck at a certain point for a LOOOONG time, then the sheer annoyance factor impresses the solution in my mind ;) ).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tex Murphy. It’s like rewatching an old-favourite movie

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monkey Island.
Because they’re the most fun to replay…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Generally speaking, I rarely replay AGs. I am currently replaying and enjoying the Penumbra series. It’s a great game to play with friends.

I really enjoyed replaying the entire Uru series last year. Obviosuly these games have something in common: they’re exploration driven and they’re 3D with slight action elements.

The linear, story-driven, Lucas Arts style games are very boring to replay. Once you know the stories you know them and the cliched, tired gameplay of those games is just something I endure to see the rest, rather than something i find rewarding in itself, unlike a puzzle in a Myst-style game. Without the incentive of seeing soething new I really don’t have the willpower for an endless series of ‘click every object on every hotspot’, especially with so many of these games being so static, leaving you looking at a mostly unmoving screen through minutes of badly written, tautological dialogue.

I do intend to replay Syberia someday but generally games have to have a little more than just point and click for me to play them twice.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top