• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 14 May 2015 03:51 AM

Then you would post the Casual Scene of the Week. IMO casuals belong in the General forum, together with RPGs.

There was never a suggestion to include RPGs – it was a suggestion to include RPG & other hybrids & you yourself presented a screenshot from Quest for Infamy which is described as an Adventure-RPG hybrid so the thought was about games along with that one that sit on the borderline e.g. the Quest for Glory series? & others like Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain etc.

chrissie - 14 May 2015 03:25 AM

Laughing I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot that diego!

You added text adventures later, after I’d mentioned them.

Yes, the list was intended to be added to & not just be a list of my suggestions but I forgot about text adventures at the time! 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 14 May 2015 03:51 AM

So why aren’t you contributing adventure game scenes?

He is. Casuals are a subgenre of adventure games. And they have been largely ignored for two years in the AGSotD. Only Kurufinwe posted a couple during his run.
One screenshot a week for a subgenre that spawns more games than the entire rest of the genre combined? Long overdue, imo.

Yes, purity. This is an Adventure Game forum.

Then why did you have ‘fringe days’?
Besides, with ‘hybrids’ I seriously think chrissie meant all those games that could spark an “it’s not an AG” discussion even though they’re generally considered to be within the AG genre. That includes everything by Telltale, Quantic Dream, stuff like Dear Esther, stuff like the Quest for Glory games, etc.

Then you would post the Casual Scene of the Week. IMO casuals belong in the General forum, together with RPGs.

Lots of casuals are found in the main site’s game database. And if they don’t contain any HOG scenes, then they even get reviewed. They belong in the Adventure Forum, not the General forum.

And with RPGs, they meant RPG hybrids. You know, Quest for Glory and its ilk.

You added text adventures later, after I’d mentioned them.

So? It was a list of suggestions. A good suggestion came up afterwards, and it got added. Makes perfect sense.

Iznogood - 14 May 2015 01:26 AM

Anyone willing to do this, should also have free hands in regards to what games they post about. Casuals, hybrids, freeware, text adventures, interactive novels .. whatever they want to promote, that’s fine with me.
(As long as I don’t have to do it myself Tongue)

Exactly!

Anyway, I like the suggestions given. Handheld games have been entirely ignored after Kurufinwe’s run, and given the DS and Vita AG libraries alone, they’ve been sorely missed.
You could lump all non-PC/Mac exclusives together as well. There are a lot of AGs for the PS3, on the PSN, and even old ones on the 3DO, etc.
They deserve their spot on the AGSotD as much as the next AG.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 14 May 2015 08:22 AM

Casuals are a subgenre of adventure games.

Okay. Innocent

And they have been largely ignored for two years in the AGSotD. Only Kurufinwe posted a couple during his run.

I posted one as well. Tongue

Then why did you have ‘fringe days’?

Yeah, I knew people would start throwing stones at my house. Chrissie too, I posted a pic from Quest for Infamy, so look who’s talking about RPGs.

At the time when those “fringe” games were released, all adventure game sites reviewed them. Like you said yourself, they were generally considered as belonging to the adventure genre. Some of them were very good and fairly unknown.

Besides, with ‘hybrids’ I seriously think chrissie meant all those games that could spark an “it’s not an AG” discussion even though they’re generally considered to be within the AG genre.

Apparently, it’s wrong to want to spark discussions. Quoting Chrissie: So for a start the purpose of you posting has to change from that expectation of a discussion to just presenting a game either well-known with an interesting screenshot of it or enlightening us to the existence of a lesser known production!   I think that’s unrealistic. I liked my AGSotD year. Hell, I still enjoy doing it, I’m not feeling “drained” or anything (Kurufinwe said that, not me). But like I said, I do blame myself for failing to spark much discussion and I would not be surprised if the Casual Scene of the Week is more succesful in that regard.

So? It was a list of suggestions. A good suggestion came up afterwards, and it got added. Makes perfect sense.

My comment had nothing to do with the suggestion itself, but with Diego’s eight-days-a-week and the fact that many people (including me) hadn’t noticed that the 7 days had later become 8 days.

Handheld games have been entirely ignored after Kurufinwe’s run, and given the DS and Vita AG libraries alone, they’ve been sorely missed. You could lump all non-PC/Mac exclusives together as well. There are a lot of AGs for the PS3, on the PSN, and even old ones on the 3DO, etc. They deserve their spot on the AGSotD as much as the next AG.

Agreed.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 14 May 2015 10:53 AM

I liked my AGSotD year. Hell, I still enjoy doing it, I’m not feeling “drained” or anything (Kurufinwe said that, not me). But like I said, I do blame myself for failing to spark much discussion and I would not be surprised if the Casual Scene of the Week is more succesful in that regard.

Karlok, I think your knowledge of games is quite well respected so if you’re not feeling ‘drained’ why not continue (maybe after a break if you want it) to contribute 1 day a week with a screenshot from either Text Adventures or an FMV game (or anything of your choice!)

NB Please don’t accuse me of throwing stones at your house - there was never any intention on my part to do so! & I truly can’t remember where my other quote comes from & in what context as basically it’s just an AG forum & as much as I’m passionate about games I do have a real life as well & just don’t remember all!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thank you Karlok and Chrissie for your awesome job doing all of these! I’ve enjoyed every single one of them, you’ve certainly helped widen my adventure game horizon. 

I’m sorry for not participating more in the discussions, I often just don’t feel I have anything to contribute,  particularly if I haven’t played the game in question. I also tend to hold my tongue if the game depicted doesn’t appeal to me, as I would only have negative things to say. I try to avoid being negative. Most of the time anyway:p I remember apologizing for the same back when Kurufinwe stepped down… but as I’ve failed to improve my level of participation since then, the apology feels thin. I hope you believe I’m sincere when I say that the AGSOTD is something I’ve been looking forward to every day. I will miss it when/if it goes away.

I’d volunteer to help keep it alive when Karlok and Chrissie retires (I remember reluctantly doing so back when Kurufinwe stopped) but I doubt I’d be able to deliver to your standards. I came onto these forums thinking I knew everything about adventure games, but boy have I been humbled since then! The knowledge, passion and enthusiasm that have been demonstrated through these AGSOTD’s (and elsewhere on the forum) by Karlok and Chrissie, and Bastich and Kurufinwe before that, is nothing short of impressive, the amount of work you’ve put into it equally so. I fear I’d be a sorry replacement for either of you, I’d also have trouble making such eloquent descriptions of scenes as English isn’t my first language.

I do hope someone picks up the mantle though.

Thanks again for the outstanding work, you should be proud of it!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Karlok - 14 May 2015 10:53 AM

I think that’s unrealistic. I liked my AGSotD year. Hell, I still enjoy doing it, I’m not feeling “drained” or anything (Kurufinwe said that, not me). But like I said, I do blame myself for failing to spark much discussion and I would not be surprised if the Casual Scene of the Week is more succesful in that regard.

Actually I’ve really enjoyed reading the AGSotD you and Chrissie did. I’ve been mostly a lurker and didn’t really reply (I should have though) but it’s been really interesting to follow… I’d love you to keep going on   Smile

I guess it’s a bit of a thankless task with people like me just reading it but not really replying… So, just wanted to chime in and say thanks to both of you!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 14 May 2015 11:47 AM

why not continue (maybe after a break if you want it) to contribute 1 day a week with a screenshot from either Text Adventures or an FMV game (or anything of your choice!)

I meant what I said about enjoying it, but that doesn’t mean I want to continue it. 

NB Please don’t accuse me of throwing stones at your house - there was never any intention on my part to do so!

Okay.

& I truly can’t remember where my other quote comes from & in what context

This thread, previous page.

Dag - 15 May 2015 12:03 AM

I’d volunteer to help keep it alive when Karlok and Chrissie retires (I remember reluctantly doing so back when Kurufinwe stopped) but I doubt I’d be able to deliver to your standards.

Standards…? Please! There are no standards, everybody has their own way of doing it and I’d love to see you take care of one or more days a week. If people want AGSotD to continue, Chrissie’s approach is the best one: 5, 6 or 7 posters with different themes. You have played every humorous adventure game, so you’d be perfect for posting that type of screenshots and there haven’t been enough of them this year.

You didn’t mention Wreck, who started the whole thing ten or more years ago. You probably hadn’t discovered AG yet. You know what he did? He posted a screenshot without any comment. Not even the name of the game. Sometimes he said: “Happy Sunday, everybody”. Smile That was Wreck’s way and his threads were very popular, you can still see them at the old forum (except the screenshots themselves).

Go for it, Dag!  Cool

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, I can do a freeware scene once a week…

WAIT, I ALREADY DID!!! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am probably going to regret this, but (sigh) since I am a big fan of puzzles in AG’s then I could post an AG puzzle once a week.

I will however not commit to any specific length of time. I will do it as long as I think it is fun and I can think of good puzzles to post, and when it isn’t fun anymore I will stop.

So Diego just volunteered to do a freeware post.
I volunteer to do a puzzle post.
Rtrooney has volunteered to do Casual games.
And Karlok wants to continue for another year.

How many more do we need?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 15 May 2015 11:27 AM

So Diego just volunteered to do a freeware post.
I volunteer to do a puzzle post.
Rtrooney has volunteered to do Casual games.

How many more do we need?

I was thinking that “we” would need to post a minimum of three times a week to have some variety. There’s four. So I would think it’s good to go. And if anyone else wants to provide a post/week, e.g. adventures on hand-held devices, that would be great. Then take the weekend off. Smile And if two more people want to make it a sevenday/week endeavor, fine.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I need a month’s break & to think about it but possibly I could fill a slot for regular AGs as diego is interested in filling the Freeware game slot! I would strictly need to post on a Monday & it would be a case of many games being revisited!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I can post a handheld/console scene if there is interest in going this way and no one else with better knowledge wants to do it.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 15 May 2015 12:19 PM

I can post a handheld/console scene if there is interest in going this way and no one else with better knowledge wants to do it.

wilco, screenshots from AGs/Visual Novels made exclusively for handheld devices/console I know would be very welcome as they have been very unrepresented in AGSotD for the last 3 years!  Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 15 May 2015 12:28 PM
wilco - 15 May 2015 12:19 PM

wilco, screenshots from AGs/Visual Novels made exclusively for handheld devices/console I know would be very welcome as they have been very unrepresented in AGSotD for the last 3 years!  Smile

I’ll do it, no problem, but I’m certainly not an expert in the matter so if someone wants to take it I’ve got no problem with it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 15 May 2015 11:27 AM

I’d appreciate it if you stopped being unfunny at my expense.

And you forgot Dag, who offered to do one day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top