• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need a new name for our genre? 

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

TimovieMan - 09 July 2012 01:53 PM

Anyone who even remotely calls himself a gamer knows what an adventure game is.

I want this to be true. I want it with all my heart. I’d love it if everyone who plays Call of Duty or Battlefield or Skyrim or Heavy Rain now also played Doom or Quake or Monkey Island back then… but it’s not so, sadly. The ‘90s are starting to be twenty years ago, and the ‘80s thirty (thirty!). And the newer generation of gamers will refuse to be schooled.

Unfortunatly, I still think that unless the demand for pure Adventure games rises drastically, we’ll slowly but surely reach a point where an “Adventure Game” will be “A game where the main character goes on an adventure”, and the old definition will be lost.

TimovieMan - 09 July 2012 01:53 PM

Ever had to explain that you’re not a nerd, but a geek, and that there’s a difference? Tongue

Countless times! To the point where I’ve stopped correcting people and just started taking “nerd” as a compliment. Proud to be a nerd.  Laughing

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ZeframCochrane - 09 July 2012 03:44 PM

I want this to be true. I want it with all my heart. I’d love it if everyone who plays Call of Duty or Battlefield or Skyrim or Heavy Rain now also played Doom or Quake or Monkey Island back then… but it’s not so, sadly. The ‘90s are starting to be twenty years ago, and the ‘80s thirty (thirty!). And the newer generation of gamers will refuse to be schooled.

Then be old-school about it. Claim they know nothing about games, and wave off everything they respond with a “Bah.”. Grin

Unfortunatly, I still think that unless the demand for pure Adventure games rises drastically, we’ll slowly but surely reach a point where an “Adventure Game” will be “A game where the main character goes on an adventure”, and the old definition will be lost.

The gamers of old are growing older, but they haven’t stopped gaming. The average age of gamers is increasing, and we occasionally still get games that remind people what adventures games are. It’s not because it’s in a niche that it’s going to be forgotten.

Countless times! To the point where I’ve stopped correcting people and just started taking “nerd” as a compliment. Proud to be a nerd.  Laughing

I’m not, ‘cause I’m a geek. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I wholehearted agree that the genre name was a horrible choice to begin with, since it never jived with the actual meaning of the word.  That was just dumb. 

I also believe people need to stop wanting the definition to be the be-all and end-all.  The genre is simply too diverse.  Even among games we all agree are adventures, they’re vastly different.  If someone tells you a game is an adventure, the reaction shouldn’t be “oh, I now know exactly what to expect”, but rather “what kind of adventure?” 

Finally, since it’s pretty much unanimous that adventures primarily include story, puzzles, and exploration (perhaps not in that order, and never dictating in what proportions), and there’s no such word that adequately encompasses all three, perhaps we should just invent a new word altogether.  New words are created all the time, and old words “officially” discarded by the thousands every year, so there’s lots of precedent.

So how about Stuzzlations?  Expuzzories? Tongue

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Jackal - 09 July 2012 04:40 PM

I rather like “Pericombombulatory Games”.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Matan - 09 July 2012 03:23 PM

“Point and Click” doesn’t really work, because it’s a definition based on the interface. It doesn’t encompass many new adventure games which are gamepad driven, and it doesn’t even include classic adventure games from the text parser era (ike King’s Quest 1-4 or Space Quest 1-3).

While “point and click” might not always work, most non-adventure gamers (that I’ve come across anyway) actually know what that means, even if the controls are done with a gamepad - and isn’t that the solution we’re trying to come across? A broad definition that people instantly understand. When you say something is an adventure most won’t know what you’re talking about, but for some reason point and click rings a bell, so fine, whatever, I use that instead even if it doesn’t encompass everything to do with the genre. Definitions rarely do, that’s why so many games these days are just called “action adventure” which doesn’t actually say anything about the game at all.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Actually, the term “adventure” itself is rather broad and confusing - “An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.”

BUT - Adventure book is something else; and no other genre had come closer to “adventurous” book or movie, than “adventure game”. Not to mention the Choose Your Own Adventure books, which can be viewed as a simple adventure “game” (actually, it’s more of a game than some video games Sarcastic ):

...“each story is written from a second-person point of view, with the reader assuming the role of the protagonist and making choices that determine the main character’s actions and the plot’s outcome.”

Sounds familiar? Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think you need a prescription for those.  Laughing

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Matan - 09 July 2012 04:48 AM

So, I suggest a new name to the genre: “Story-driven games”.

so to avoid the slight confusion of action-adventure and adventure, you’d want to be thrown into a world of constant confusion with every rpg ever made? Because people consider them story driven.
Yeah, adventure is broad, but it stuck. And we have lots of sub-genre names for when you want to describe a game more specifically.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

diego - 09 July 2012 05:19 PM

...“each story is written from a second-person point of view, with the reader assuming the role of the protagonist and making choices that determine the main character’s actions and the plot’s outcome.”

Sounds familiar? Smile

Making choices to determine the main character’s plot’s outcome? Sounds like mass effect or fallout to me Smile

But seriously, is it more common in adventure games than in other genres to have player actions affect the outcome of the story? I know of very few adventure games that do this - Heavy Rain and Walking Dead are two recent ones. There are also some others I can think of where most of the game is identical and only the ending can be changed based on player actions. Most adventure games just have a linear plot for the player to advance through.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

zane - 10 July 2012 12:17 AM

[
Yeah, adventure is broad, but it stuck. And we have lots of sub-genre names for when you want to describe a game more specifically.

Well, I think it didn’t stuck enough (as most gamers mean something else when they say “adventure games”) and I am not sure if I know the sub-genre names you refer to (is that first person and third person? )

In the end, I agree with Lucien that the genre of a game doesn’t really matter as long as the game is good. My main objective is to get adventuregamers to review all story-driven games even if they do not fit their genre definition Smile
I am very glad they chose to broaden the genre definition to include games like Portal, Amnesia, Heavy Rain etc. I just feel it’s the website I can trust best to actually know whether the story of a game is good, and whether the other gameplay mechanics do or do not distract from the story. For now, I am glad with the set of games the website chooses to review, I’m just tired of all the arguments every time they review a non-traditional adventure game.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

well, i gave it some thought, and i think if i had to rename the genre, i would call them “solving games” or problem solving… because i think the genre pretty universally centers around the logic of solving a problem in a way that distinguishes itself from other games. Not all adventures have real puzzles, but they do all have problems that you work through. And while technically all games involve solving some sort of problem, (just like in every game you play a role, but it isnt roleplaying) the word doesnt have too much association to other genres. Calling it “solving” also associates it to mystery, without requiring it be a mystery game.

But when it comes to genres: “it is what it is until it isnt.” And our genre is adventure.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Matan - 10 July 2012 01:04 AM

I am very glad they chose to broaden the genre definition to include games like Portal, Amnesia, Heavy Rain etc.

Just for the sake of clarity, we didn’t broaden it at all.  We have the exact same definition we always did.  It’s just that more developers have started thinking creatively in recent years, pushing beyond traditional genre formulas while still maintaining the core elements.  So it’s the games that changed, not us.  Wink

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 July 2012 10:28 PM

I think you need a prescription for those.  Laughing

I need a hard drink to recover from those titles!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

I agree that the adventure name is bad, because as you say it implies a lot of things that aren’t always true.

Story driven games is an even worse name, though, because the truth is that most non-arcade games are to some extent story driven, and usually not less so than the average adventure game. We’ve got more character interaction, and our stories tend to be a lot more varied (they involve less killing, for one thing), but “story driven” is a term that describes Spec Ops: The Line and The Witcher just as well as it describes the average adventure game. It fits most action-adventures too, so no less confusion there.

Also, genre labels are flawed in general. BioShock is an FPS, but is it really like Doom? Same with Deus Ex. Is describing Mass Effect 3 as an RPG really that appropriate? What else would it be called? Is GTA IV a racing game, an action adventure, a shooter or what? Recently it’s been called an “open world-game”, but what does that really imply other than the fact that it’s set in an open environment? If the open environment is the deciding factor, does that mean GTA IV and Mount & Blade are both in the same genre because they’ve both got open worlds? That wouldn’t be very helpful, because they’re really very different (as for M&B, I wouldn’t say RPG is a very fitting label either, because the RPG elements does not really define the experience).

So, err, the point is: Caffusing!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Matan - 10 July 2012 12:53 AM

But seriously, is it more common in adventure games than in other genres to have player actions affect the outcome of the story?

Of course! Just think about Space Quest death scenes, different paths to take in Quest for Glory and different ways to solve puzzles in Kyrandia. No game is linear because one player will walk around confused about how to solve a puzzle while another will know how to solve it right away. Even choosing which age to visit in Myst changes the outcome of the story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top