• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 8 July 2012

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Tried the first one, didn’t like it. The dialogues seemed to go on forever, which would be okay if the writing was brilliant. I thought the some of the background graphics were quite pretty, if inconsistent.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2006-06-06

PM

@thejoblowshow - Dave Gilbert has made quite a few freeware games before going commercial, so you might want to try those. “Two of a Kind” is probably the best received (as Dave was working with a team so the game has better music and graphics). I never got into it, though.
Many of the games he made through the RON project are quite good, if short and visually unappealing.

For his commercial games, The Shivah is not bad, though its mood is a lot darker than most of the other games. Blackwell Unbound is considered the best if you want to get to know the Blackwell series.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I would play Blackwell games in order. Even though the second game is a prequel, the protagonists are introduced in the first game and I actually liked playing the game knowing some of stuff that would happen in the future. I suspect they could be played 2,1,3,4 too but I definitely would keep up the order 1<->2->3->4 as the plot progresses.

I think I prefer the second and fourth games but the other two weren’t far behind.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Shany - 09 July 2012 09:22 AM

“Two of a Kind” is probably the best received (as Dave was working with a team so the game has better music and graphics). I never got into it, though.

Oh, I knew there was another reason why I hadn’t played the Blackwell games! I played Two of a Kind long ago, and found it completely unremarkable, despite its being praised to the heavens by the AGS crowd at the time. Meh

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Loved the Blackwell games. They are fun games, and the leading characters and their interplay is very nicely done. It kind of grows on you as you see the same characters in every game, until you really start identifying their character and you can almost predict what one of them will say in a situation.

Story wise, the first three games I played had rather abrupt endings. The story is going along in a nice slow pace, and suddenly, BAM, and its the end sequence with the villain. The games are also rather short. Rather than 4 games, think of them as episodic series with 4 episodes out so far.

I really like the style of Wadget Eye’s games - short games, about 4-5 hours perfect for short game sessions (I still end up taking a week to finish them). Nice dialogues, interesting settings, interesting story and you rarely get “stuck”.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shany - 09 July 2012 09:22 AM

For his commercial games, The Shivah is not bad, though its mood is a lot darker than most of the other games. Blackwell Unbound is considered the best if you want to get to know the Blackwell series.

The Shivah is a very short game & possibly the worst graphically compared to the Blackwell series but well worth playing for the humorous dialogue!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The Blackwell games aren’t longer than about 4 hours each? That’s a little disappointing. Doesn’t seem to leave a lot of room for a properly fleshed out story.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 09 July 2012 10:00 PM

The Blackwell games aren’t longer than about 4 hours each? That’s a little disappointing. Doesn’t seem to leave a lot of room for a properly fleshed out story.

The story continues from game to game. That’s why I said think of it more like episodes in a series.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Ahh, so it’s one big story. I thought by episodic you meant the more loosey goosey kind of episodic like a lot of Tell Tales games.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The fourth game is a bit longer, the first is the shortest, pretty much just an appetiser.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top