• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 8 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve never played any of the Blackwell series (or anything by Dave Gilbert). I guess I tend to be wary of games that look stuck in the past (and the reviews at AGs weren’t particularly enthusiastic). Then again, Resonance looked retro but felt very fresh in terms of gameplay (and was really great), so I guess I’ll grab the Blackwell bundle on GOG when I have a little bit of free time.

This scene is from Convergence (the 3rd game, I think), which looks absolutely stunning. And I’ve no idea what’s going on. Is she trying to catch a ghost with a whip???

(Also, people distributing pictures with pixel art as JPEG need to die a painful death.)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Many people like the Blackwell games. I don’t. Tried one, don’t remember the title. Unfunny conversations with that silly ghost, everything else boring too.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I really love the Blackwell games. They don’t always look so great but where they really excel is the characters and dialogues. I think they’re extremely well written and tell good stories with a truly unique mood and feel. But admittedly they are a bit slow paced which I like but some may not and the atmosphere in the games is truly unique but I can very well imagine not for everyone. So basically they’re an acquired taste.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2006-06-06

PM

I was a fan of Dave Gilbert’s games before the Blackwell series, but these games made me into almost an obsessive fan.

They just have everything I like in a story. The protagonist, Rosa, is easy to relate to; Joey is the type of character I love seeing in stories; and the idea of a ‘normal’ person having to help other people through supernatural means is one I have always enjoyed.

Definitely play the games. They may be slow, but they are worth it.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 July 2012 12:22 PM

And I’ve no idea what’s going on.

Here’s what it is:

Sarcastic

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

ROFL Laughing  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Nice.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Good one, Diego.  Wink

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Pan

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Grin

I love the Blackwell games.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 July 2012 12:22 PM

I’ve never played any of the Blackwell series (or anything by Dave Gilbert). I guess I tend to be wary of games that look stuck in the past (and the reviews at AGs weren’t particularly enthusiastic). Then again, Resonance looked retro but felt very fresh in terms of gameplay (and was really great), so I guess I’ll grab the Blackwell bundle on GOG when I have a little bit of free time.

I’ve been following AG Scene of the Day & ensuing comments with interest but I think this is the first time, kurufinwe, you’ve posted a scene of a game that I have actually played! I know where you’re coming from when you say that it looks stuck in the past - I am a great lover of state of the art graphics etc but Wadget Eye games for me do an excellent job of telling a good story with great voice acting, clever, witty & humourous dialogue within the graphical constraints of a basic AG engine. I’ve never been disappointed with any of their games or those of the developers they support & publish, the most recent being Resonance!

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

I’m also a big fan of the Blackwell series. The overall story of a live person teamed up with a dead one helping dead people ‘cross over’ is brilliant. I’ve played and enjoyed all of the games and agree with the positive comments that already has been mentioned. I’d also like to add that there’s a lot of good music in the games.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I have yet to play the 4th Blackwell game but I really enjoyed the first three.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I have yet to play any of the Blackwell games, but I really love the pixel art style. I really should be checking one of them out. Is it best to play them in chronological order, or is there one which is clearly superior to the others?

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’d start with the first one The Blackwell Legacy since it’s very clearly the beginning of the series. The Blackwell Convergence is my favorite. Blackwell Unbound I least enjoyed and it’s not really canonical. It really more of a prequal to the series.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without playing any of Dave Gilbert’s games. I’m going to bite the bullet and do so… What’s his best game to start off with?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top