• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Inca

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Anyone remember these games from the early 90s? I haven’t played either of them but Coktel Vision made them so they must be good, right? There were two games in the series released: Inca and Inca II: Wiracocha.

Were they adventures? Hybrids? Mobygames lists them under adventure and action and I understand there are space flight sequences. AGers seems to have ignored the games completely, as have other so-called adventure sites.

Whatever they were, they look intriguing. Parts of the game look really adventurey and enticing for Coktel Vision devotees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, it seems an appropriate time to discuss the games given the world is ending this year. Oh, that’s the Mayans? Oops. Wink

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of them, but I like the graphics!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

This may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_(video_game)

It has a lot of shooting although I do recall that I may have bought it because of the artwork which was very adventure-y looking, but returned it.  (That was in the good old days when you could return a game you didn’t like).  I’m a sucker for Incan, Mayan, Egyptian stories and would have kept it if I had liked it at least a litte.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Loved Inca! Well, the first game, that’s it. It was made by Pierre Gilhodes of Gobliiins fame as a weird mixture of adventure, shooting and arcade racing, surreal storyline and wonderful music score that really sets the mood. I especially loved the adventure part, which also mixes two styles: classical Coktel Vision and what later became Myst. And the game itself is very beautiful and technically advanced for its time (FMV, 3D).

Space simulator appeared only in the sequel, and it is really not worth playing, since it ruined everything that made original Inca great.

PS And I agree it might be frustrating for those who don’t like shooting/arcade elements in their adventures. The game is very unforgiving at times.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Arial Type - 06 July 2012 01:34 PM

Loved Inca! Well, the first game, that’s it. It was made by Pierre Gilhodes of Gobliiins fame as a weird mixture of adventure, shooting and arcade racing, surreal storyline and wonderful music score that really sets the mood. I especially loved the adventure part, which also mixes two styles: classical Coktel Vision and what later became Myst. And the game itself is very beautiful and technically advanced for its time (FMV, 3D).

Space simulator appeared only in the sequel, and it is really not worth playing, since it ruined everything that made original Inca great.

PS And I agree it might be frustrating for those who don’t like shooting/arcade elements in their adventures. The game is very unforgiving at times.

Actually I’ve watched bits of the gameplay of both games on youtube and it seems that both Inca and Inca II have space flight and shooting simulator bits in the style of X-Wing.

It looked to me like Inca II was slightly more “adventure” and the first Inca had more mazes (which I hate) while the puzzles in Inca were more of a Myst “get the machine working” type. But if you’ve played it then I’ll have to take your word. Thanks! Smile

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Oscar - 06 July 2012 08:43 PM

Actually I’ve watched bits of the gameplay of both games on youtube and it seems that both Inca and Inca II have space flight and shooting simulator bits in the style of X-Wing.

It looked to me like Inca II was slightly more “adventure” and the first Inca had more mazes (which I hate) while the puzzles in Inca were more of a Myst “get the machine working” type. But if you’ve played it then I’ll have to take your word. Thanks! Smile

With Inca 1 it’s not really a simulator, just target shooting. There are a couple of mazes, but they are not long and have an automap feature. I don’t recall any machinery puzzles; most of them require logic thinking, some - inventory using. They remind me of Zork Nemesis, there’s even a similar puzzle where you have to switch between temperate seasons. They take about 60-65% of the game time I’d say.

In Inca 2 you need to use tactics during space fights, but those are not that advanced. Puzzles are either very childish or impossibly dumb, like the one at the end of the game, complete with a really awful maze. But the main reason to skip the game is the writing. Dialogs are a true nightmare Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

If you wanted Mayans you would need to go look at Broken Sword Smoking Mirror.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I’ve played one of the Inca’s, not sure which one. It was ages ago when I played it - mid 90s I guess. I remember enjoying it quite a lot. A few years back I googled around some reviews, and most were quite negative on the game.

It’s strange isn’t it - as a kid you can play anything and have loads of fun, but when you become an adult the smallest issues make a game annoying.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top