• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tim Schafer speaks!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Last week Tim Schafer was down around my neck of the woods in Melbourne, Australia! He was there to help promote the Game Masters Exhibition, which is a celebration of the game designer as ‘auteur’, for the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.

During his time here he engaged in a number of talks and forums all relating to subjects that might interest you and someone was nice enough to record all the audio from the event so here are the Tim Schafer talks (all in .mp3 format):

Flexing the Story Muscle - Paul Callaghan (Director, Freeplay Independent Games Festival) interviews Tim Schafer (Founder and Director, Double Fine) on his creative process and the importance of story in games.

Creativity and Commerce - Schafer joins David Surman, Ian Gouldstone (co-director, Pachinko Pictures), Phil Larsen (CMO, Halfbrick), and Scott Reismanis (Desura, Indie Royale, ModDB, IndieDB) for a fascinating discussion about the conflicts between creative freedom and commercial interests. (Hint: They don’t always, or even necessarily, exist.) Chaired by Dan Golding (writer with Crikey and Hyper, academic).

In Conversation with Tim Schafer - Craig Duturbure (Creative Director, Grapple Gun Games) interviews Tim Schafer on his history as a game developer, based around the structure of the hero’s journey (aka monomyth).

The designer of Deus Ex and Epic Mickey, Warren Spector, was also there and provided a very insightful conversation about his career and his philosophy behind player choice. I really recommend that too. You can check the entirety of the forums and conversations here: http://fallbackplan.posterous.com/acmi-game-masters-audio-tweets

edit: the links don’t seem to be working the way I want them to… You can access all the relevant mp3s via the fallbackplan.posterous.com link.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Thanks for the link, man. I didn’t know if they were going to post ‘em. I was all kinds of riled up that Tim Schafer was speaking in my country and I didn’t have tickets. Tongue

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Sadly, they’ve been removed. Frown

I downloaded the “Flexing the Story Muscle” one, but not the other two (although I caught the second half of the In Conversation when I went and got Tim’s autograph).

No one’s got any super secret naughty links for me to get the other ones, do they? Wink

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I also only downloaded the one you mentioned, A.A! Were did the files go? Frown

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Argh, cheese and biscuits - ACMI asked them to take down the files. It’s a shame since I got the link from someone who helped in organising the event.

Oh well. ACMI did film the event so we might see the video show up later. Sorry guys.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Oh, man. That’s too bad. They were still up when I checked the first time and was going to wait until I was using my iPad, alas. Tongue Thanks for the heads up any way, the link seems to suggest high quality recordings are imminent at least. Did you attend in person?

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yeah, I was there last Thursday and Friday! There was also an after party, which Warren and Schafer both attended but I couldn’t get tickets in time. Anything related to Schafer sold out REALLY fast - almost as quickly as the Radiohead tickets.

By the way, here’s an interview Schafer did with Triple J’s John Saffron while he was in Melbourne. It’s an entire podcast, so you’d have to scrub through the first interview: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/safran/podcast/

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Schafer’s at about 28/29 minutes in that Triple J interview.

Worth listening to just for Father Bob’s (yes, a real priest) bizarre game pitch to Tim! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top