• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Future venue for adventure games

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-20

PM

Almost reaching my thirties I look back to the day I started adventure quest some 20 years ago with the all time classics Police Quest, King Quest and (yes I know I was kind of young) Larry Laffer.

Nowadays with all of the improvements in technology and shift in gameplay, adventure point and click remain strong but how could we really bring it back…

As was mentionned in some other posts, TABLETS may just be the way to go. It’s perfect for the controls, powerful enough to nicely render the graphics, portable so that the next gen can play smart point and click game in the bus or the metro.

Only question I am asking myself now, is why aren’t all of the new point and click game systematically distributed on tablets (differene in engine maybe?) and also why some classic games aren’t remastered and re-issued for tablets.

I have to admit that I have been contemplating getting a tablet but haven’t done so yet, but I would most definitely get one if there was a vast point and click selection.

All the best

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

mytholomatt - 20 June 2012 01:07 PM

I started adventure quest some 20 years ago with the all time classics Police Quest, King Quest and (yes I know I was kind of young) Larry Laffer.

Hey-yay-yay ... i smell that you are ashamed of of Playing Larry’s Games or something ..

Man he is the only fun in whole world that can can grab Kids and Adults together all the same   Wink  Grin

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just went to an Anime convention and there was a booth there selling Japanese adventure games. Hundreds of them. All of them very recent. I do play many Japanese adventure games - some are localized to be played in North America and Europe. I do import European Adventure games too.

I personally don’t see much in the way of adventure games that originate in North America - mainly Nancy Drew actually. 

I see a tablet in my future for adventure gaming - for now I have plenty of adventure games to play on my Nintendo DS - but if enough adventure games are made for the tablet I’d give it a look.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

I am approaching my 30s too, but I found this trend of wanting to push everything into tablets because they are fashion and shiny pathetic.

What is so cool about playing the same game again but in a different platform? Go figure.

“Look, this is so beautiful! Now I can point ‘n’ click with my own index finger!”

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Tablets might have some longetivity but a PC with a physical keyboard will always be the primary platform for computing. Tablets simplify gaming and are far less functional than using a mouse.

I’m all for games coming out on all available platforms, but I don’t think I’d want tablets to become the primary conduit for adventure games.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Tablets are great because you can play the game while relaxing on a couch or while commuting [Same with the DS]. And touchscreen is a perfect fit for adventure games.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

instead of using the index finger it would be best for everyone,even the devs if a stick/pen was used.something slim.to emulate a mouse cursor.since the fingers are a bit thick and sometimes things are very near and you need to be extra careful to be able to touch them.i imagine it would be difficult to take Arto’s brush in Syria(Broken Sword) by using the index finger.

this way the devs don’t need to remake the graphics.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I wish I could enjoy handhelds and games on the bus/train - I get motion sickness whenever looking down for certain periods of time. Sick

Mikekelly - 20 June 2012 08:11 PM

I just went to an Anime convention and there was a booth there selling Japanese adventure games.

Cool. Which convention was that? Smile

jhetfield21 - 21 June 2012 05:38 AM

i imagine it would be difficult to take Arto’s brush in Syria(Broken Sword) by using the index finger.

You don’t need to pick up the brush though - you just need to say something to him and Nejo gets it for you. Wink

But as for the point you’re trying to make, I’ve not really had any problems with tapping on the correct objects with iPhone games; including Broken Sword, which I’m playing at the moment. Although, because I play guitar, having toughened/hardened skin at the tip of my index finger does make tapping on things unresponsive sometimes. Tongue

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-06-21

PM

I can agree!  Point-and-click adventure games especially seem pretty tailored to people who don’t like so much with the shooting and the action and the punching.  Big, actiony games like Uncharted or whatever are really more experiences that you might have to really clear some time for—and with the more light-hearted feel of adventure games (usually), you can get quality entertainment without having to get really INTO the story and worry about death and frustration and all of that.  You can play it at your own pace—like reading a book.  The page doesn’t move until you turn it!

So, in short, I can see where tablet adventure games can be a big success.

“It’s like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!”

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2011-06-02

PM

With the announcement of Microsoft’s Surface tablet which runs full Windows 8, most adventure games will be available both as desktop and tablet experiences. That goes for older games emulated in DOSbox, Grim Fandango running in RisidualVM, recent releases like The Journey Down or Botanicula, and any upcoming releases for Windows.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

DustyShinigami - 21 June 2012 09:50 AM

You don’t need to pick up the brush though - you just need to say something to him and Nejo gets it for you. Wink

you’re right i mixed it up…..but you have to click on the brush to learn that Arto has it for sure before making Nejo take it for you.I always has a problem at that point.I never get it on the first try Tongue.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

mytholomatt - 20 June 2012 01:07 PM

Almost reaching my thirties I look back to the day I started adventure quest some 20 years ago with the all time classics Police Quest, King Quest and (yes I know I was kind of young) Larry Laffer.

Well, I just turned 64, so, I think I’ve seen a few more game “genres” than you. My tablet is a Kindle Fire. I would love to see some adventure games ported to that medium, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Some of it comes down to what game engine the developers are using. If your game was made in Unity, then you’re only missing out on consumers if you don’t add iPhone/iPad and Android ports. Exclusivity is for the benefit console/PC/tablet maker and not the player or especially the developer.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind playing all my adventure games on a Wii or the DS (or WiiU and 3DS) but that’s just me.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally im not too keen on the idea of playing AG on tablets.

Ok i can see there is some potential for AG on tablets, and if there suddenly is a large amout of titles, i might consider buying one, or be forced to buy one.

But i have two concerns:

1) An interface that works on a tablet might not work on a pc and visa versa.

Captain Morgane is a perfect example of this. When playing the game it was very obvious that it wasn’t designed for PC but for something handheld, and it had an absolutely horrible interface Angry
5 cm high letter in subtitles, a seperate screen for the inventory etc.

I fear that this might be the furture for AG on pc. Games that are designed for tablets and is very poorly portet for pc Cry

2) I fear that the developers will begin to simplify or stupefy their games Sick

When playing on a pc you are 100% concentrated on the game (well i am), you probably have a notepad and pen next to you so you can take notes, notes that are needed to solve the more challenging puzzles.
But playing on a tablet is a much more casual experince, you are probadly lying on a couch with the tv on in the background, or are in a bus or train commuting, either way most people wont be 100% concentrated on the game, and they wont have a pen and paper ready for taking notes.

If they want the games to be popular on tablets, there is simply a limit to how challenging they can make them.

At least that’s my opinion, but i hope i’m wrong, i really hope it won’t happen!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-20

PM

Iznogood - 22 June 2012 12:33 AM

I fear that the developers will begin to simplify or stupefy their games ...

If they want the games to be popular on tablets, there is simply a limit to how challenging they can make the game/quote]

It’s a quite valid point, when come to think of it I tend to agree with you hadn’t seen it this way.

There is in fact a tradeoff that could happen but as another post mentionned, with microsoft’s new tablet, we may both get what we desire…Portability and challenge

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-06-19

PM

I think adventures on tablets (and maybe even smartphones) have a lot of potential - as a matter of fact, I’m creating a game engine for precicely that purpose. And of course, there are limits but also there are pretty exiting oportunities, I believe.

1) An interface that works on a tablet might not work on a pc and visa versa.

True - I’ve been thinking about a suitable standard interface for my engine and have come to the conclusion, that most interfaces found in adventures for PCs just won’t do. The ideas I’ve had for tablets on the other hand would probably not work on PCs very well… But we’ll see, I’ll probably be back with suggestions for interfaces some time soon. ^^

2) I fear that the developers will begin to simplify or stupefy their games Sick

Well, maybe. On the other hand, they might become more challenging, as the abilities of a tablet add to those known from classical adventure games. (I actually have a survey on that kind of stuff here, in case anyone want’s to help me with that. ^^) It all very much depends on the game.
My theory would be, that there will be relatively simple adventures for “casual adventurers” and more complex ones for the more experienced gamers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top