• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

boldy50

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

HeXit - Point and Click Sci-fi Adventure Game on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bulak, do you understand that you (or at least your opinions) come across as prejudiced as a whole. You don’t need to explain every single little thing. Teaching your girlfriend to play is not a big deal, neither is wanting to play a male character. But when you add together everything you’ve said, there is a certain pattern.

If someone makes a gay joke it’s funny. If that someone keeps hinting about people’s sexuality and femininity constantly, a single gay joke turns into something else.

“I don’t like the protagonist, I won’t pledge” is what you should have said in your first post or at least on your second, instead of going on about how games are for men.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I was discouraged by the protagonist, not because it’s a woman (possibly a cyborg, considering how plastic she looks), but because of how they managed to cram so many ass shots in such a short trailer. I’m not a prude in any way, but the suits she wore looked like a sci-fi nerd’s wet dream. It’s kind of embarrassing.

Apart from that, it looked okay. The environments look very impressive, the characters and animation not so much, as is typically the case with indie adventures. The trailer kind of put me off to be honest.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The slow, clumsy, canned animation really kind of reminds me of Phantasmagoria or something. Although this has some good visual design going into it, it does not smell like a good game to me.

Who knows, though. Maybe it has a great story and clever puzzles and all that, but I certainly do not feel compelled to take a leap of faith based on what I see.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Now that orient mentions it, there is indeed quite a lot of ass. And in general I prefer a bit edgier main characters, but I still don’t understand how that woman would not be aimed for male players Content.

I’m kinda cleaned out with the current projects but I’ll follow these adventures around a bit to see if I can participate in the final push to make it or break it.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

millenia - 14 June 2012 07:50 AM

Bulak, do you understand that you (or at least your opinions) come across as prejudiced as a whole. You don’t need to explain every single little thing. Teaching your girlfriend to play is not a big deal, neither is wanting to play a male character. But when you add together everything you’ve said, there is a certain pattern.

If someone makes a gay joke it’s funny. If that someone keeps hinting about people’s sexuality and femininity constantly, a single gay joke turns into something else.

“I don’t like the protagonist, I won’t pledge” is what you should have said in your first post or at least on your second, instead of going on about how games are for men.

There is a pattern on everything we say. I, for example, found your “pattern” very feminist. But so what? I’m not some sort of paladin of justice to tell you what is right or wrong.

And I’m not making jokes constantly. What I said was just to expose my arguments or personal preferences.

Lastly, I don’t have specific numbers on the gaming market or know where you live. But where I live, it’s really hard to meet a girl who plays “hardcore” games and not just casual Facebook or smartphone games.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yes I’m kinda feminist myself but that’s not what ticked me off. I personally don’t like people going on how “girls only fiddle with Facebook” as I am definitely not like that. Besides most guys fiddle with Facebook too and while a bit larger number of them play something else too, it’s not such a huge difference anymore, especially with adventure games, which are very popular amongst women.

Second annoying thing was the fact that your statement doesn’t make any sense (and still doesn’t). Those big tits are for men. This has been said quite a few times now but you conveniently just skip that part and continue with the “I don’t know girls to play” crap which has nothing to do with the stereotypical sexy females, which still are made for men, and still aren’t that common in adventure games.

In a nutshell: I agree that the crappy, overly sexual female types are indeed crappy, I also prefer something else. It just doesn’t have anything to do with pleasing female gamers and it definitely isn’t “everywhere” in old school adventures.

Now I am even bored of myself with this issue.

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

millenia - 15 June 2012 06:43 AM

Yes I’m kinda feminist myself but that’s not what ticked me off. I personally don’t like people going on how “girls only fiddle with Facebook” as I am definitely not like that. Besides most guys fiddle with Facebook too and while a bit larger number of them play something else too, it’s not such a huge difference anymore, especially with adventure games, which are very popular amongst women.

Second annoying thing was the fact that your statement doesn’t make any sense (and still doesn’t). Those big tits are for men. This has been said quite a few times now but you conveniently just skip that part and continue with the “I don’t know girls to play” crap which has nothing to do with the stereotypical sexy females, which still are made for men, and still aren’t that common in adventure games.

In a nutshell: I agree that the crappy, overly sexual female types are indeed crappy, I also prefer something else. It just doesn’t have anything to do with pleasing female gamers and it definitely isn’t “everywhere” in old school adventures.

Now I am even bored of myself with this issue.

1p. You ticked off? You probably live in a well-developed country like USA or somewhere in Europe. I live in Brasil, and any compatriot of mine into games can affirm that most girls here usually only stick with Facebook and casual games and rarely “hardcore” games and even less with adventures. So, you are ticked off because I’m telling you a fact, something that actually happens and not a personal opinion? How much sense does that make?

2p. I’m not “conveniently skipping” anything. If you see some posts up. I said: “Well, nowadays, where men become women, and women become men and such I got to agree with you. I am, however, old-fashioned”. Which means that, many males like to play as females today. You know, there is (or was) some WoW clone, very popular in China, where a high percentage of male players were playing with female avatars. And the government of that country and the company prohibited males playing with female avatar because, as you know, they have strict anti-homosexual policies there.

In my conception, I like to play games where the main character represents me in some way. Obviously, a pretty princess with high heels, make up, lingerie armor or whatever isn’t going to represent me in anyway. That’s my personal preference and the reason I don’t like to play as a female. Reciprocally, you as a feminist, might get offended if you were offered to play a game where the main character is a pervert fella who boozes a lot, strikes prostitutes and generally treat women as objects. The difference is that I’m not “ticked off” by your personal preferences or facts that you tell me.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

bulak - 15 June 2012 03:04 PM

1p. You ticked off? You probably live in a well-developed country like USA or somewhere in Europe. I live in Brasil, and any compatriot of mine into games can affirm that most girls here usually only stick with Facebook and casual games and rarely “hardcore” games and even less with adventures. So, you are ticked off because I’m telling you a fact, something that actually happens and not a personal opinion? How much sense does that make?

I’ve been watching this thread with interest. I do actually live in a well-developed country in the suburbs of the capital - I know many of my female friends post on FB but I know only one that plays casual games & only one that plays adventures. The fact is that many female gameplayers are isolated, friends and & family don’t understand as their perception of games are of the higher profiles ones that are shoot-you-ups etc aimed at a young male market!   

In my conception, I like to play games where the main character represents me in some way. Obviously, a pretty princess with high heels, make up, lingerie armor or whatever isn’t going to represent me in anyway. That’s my personal preference and the reason I don’t like to play as a female. Reciprocally, you as a feminist, might get offended if you were offered to play a game where the main character is a pervert fella who boozes a lot, strikes prostitutes and generally treat women as objects. The difference is that I’m not “ticked off” by your personal preferences or facts that you tell me.

If the story is good enough I’m quite happy to step into the shoes of the main protagonist whatever they’re like - to me it’s fantasy & I don’t need a character to represent me in some way. I appreciate that’s your personal preference but does that restrict what you play?

I don’t mind what content turns up in a game (i.e. tits, arses etc)  as long as it’s relevant & not gratuitous!

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

In my conception, I like to play games where the main character represents me in some way.

That’s cool, but how does that work with games like Sam and Max? You play a dog and a rabbit. Or Roger Wilco, a janitor, and Larry Laffer, 40-yo virgin.

It sounds a bit silly, to be honest.  Meh

Also, I frown upon the implication that you have to be homosexual to be able to enjoy playing a female role in a game.

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

chrissie - 15 June 2012 05:44 PM

I’ve been watching this thread with interest. I do actually live in a well-developed country in the suburbs of the capital - I know many of my female friends post on FB but I know only one that plays casual games & only one that plays adventures. The fact is that many female gameplayers are isolated, friends and & family don’t understand as their perception of games are of the higher profiles ones that are shoot-you-ups etc aimed at a young male market!   

If the story is good enough I’m quite happy to step into the shoes of the main protagonist whatever they’re like - to me it’s fantasy & I don’t need a character to represent me in some way. I appreciate that’s your personal preference but does that restrict what you play?

I don’t mind what content turns up in a game (i.e. tits, arses etc)  as long as it’s relevant & not gratuitous!

Yes, it might restrict. Some people like to have some kind of bond with a character. Other will play anything.

Similarly, some people just skip over all story elements and go straight to the action and vice versa.

There are just millions of examples.

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

Erwin_Br - 15 June 2012 06:49 PM

In my conception, I like to play games where the main character represents me in some way.

That’s cool, but how does that work with games like Sam and Max? You play a dog and a rabbit. Or Roger Wilco, a janitor, and Larry Laffer, 40-yo virgin.

Also, I frown upon the implication that you have to be homosexual to be able to enjoy playing a female role in a game.

You totally misunderstood my argument. I said IT HAS TO REPRESENT ME IN SOME WAY and not a 1:1 real world copy. 

And I frown upon the implication that some fella would enjoy himself playing as a princess role. So????

:rolleyes:

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

bulak - 15 June 2012 07:27 PM

You totally misunderstood my argument. I said IT HAS TO REPRESENT ME IN SOME WAY and not a 1:1 real world copy. 

And I frown upon the implication that some fella would enjoy himself playing as a princess role. So????

You are just beeing an idiot Pan

Personally two of my favorite protagonists are April and Zoe from The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, both female and im male!

AG is more about having empathy for the protagonist, then it is actually identifying yourself with the char, there is I belive a big difference between the two things. And if you can’t have empathy for a female protagonist, what about someone with a different skin colour, religion, age, social status?

You also can’t compare it with mmorpg, in mmorpg your avatar is just that, an avatar you use to interact with other players with, wheras in ag it is just the protagnist of the story. Why some wants an avator of the opposite sex, that is a totally different discussion, which i will not comment on here.

If you only like to play games where the main char is someone like yourself, or someone you would like to be, then there really aren’t that many AG you can like, i mean who wants to be Larry Laffer?

There are some games that are mainly made for men or women, i will agree on that much!
But they are the exceptions, most AG try to reach as large an audience as they can, regardless of sex etc, and as far as i can tell HeXit is not an exception to the rule.

On a more serious matter: I think HeXit looks promising!
As the developers say, there aren’t enough Sci-Fi adventure games.

It might be a risk to support developers, who haven’t proved they can make a great game yet, but renowned developers also regularly screw things up, so i dont see this as a much bigger risk then some of the other Kickstarter projects.

As for the episode thing, then i think it just means, that they hope to make it into a series of games, not that they plan to release several episodes in a short amount of time, as we are use to from Telltale.
If the first is a success, then they hopefully wont need financing through kickstarter for the rest, and if not, the whole project will probably die.

Im backing this project, and hope it will fulfill my expectations.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

Iznogood - 15 June 2012 10:54 PM
bulak - 15 June 2012 07:27 PM

You are just beeing an idiot Pan

Personally two of my favorite protagonists are April and Zoe from The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, both female and im male!

AG is more about having empathy for the protagonist, then it is actually identifying yourself with the char, there is I belive a big difference between the two things. And if you can’t have empathy for a female protagonist, what about someone with a different skin colour, religion, age, social status?

You also can’t compare it with mmorpg, in mmorpg your avatar is just that, an avatar you use to interact with other players with, wheras in ag it is just the protagnist of the story. Why some wants an avator of the opposite sex, that is a totally different discussion, which i will not comment on here.

If you only like to play games where the main char is someone like yourself, or someone you would like to be, then there really aren’t that many AG you can like, i mean who wants to be Larry Laffer?

There are some games that are mainly made for men or women, i will agree on that much!
But they are the exceptions, most AG try to reach as large an audience as they can, regardless of sex etc, and as far as i can tell HeXit is not an exception to the rule.

On a more serious matter: I think HeXit looks promising!
As the developers say, there aren’t enough Sci-Fi adventure games.

It might be a risk to support developers, who haven’t proved they can make a great game yet, but renowned developers also regularly screw things up, so i dont see this as a much bigger risk then some of the other Kickstarter projects.

As for the episode thing, then i think it just means, that they hope to make it into a series of games, not that they plan to release several episodes in a short amount of time, as we are use to from Telltale.
If the first is a success, then they hopefully wont need financing through kickstarter for the rest, and if not, the whole project will probably die.

Im backing this project, and hope it will fulfill my expectations.

I wasn’t even going to answer your post because it contains so fantasies, TIB (typical internets behavior) and things that I never said, but let’s do it just for the sake of fun.

1p. ok

2p. So what? Want me to give you a medal or something?

3p. Wait! Are you some sort of AG-guru master that set the rules so that people can have exactly the same experiences and expectations as you do? If so, I guess I’ll have to throw away whatever I’d thought AGs meant for me and follow your influence from now on.

4p. I don’t like mmorpgs but I’ve seen lots of players on the internets that follow a certain pattern of preference for female characters in a variety of games. But that’s not what we are discussing here.

5p. I never said I only play games where the main character is someone like me nor anything close to this. Reread the previous posts.

6p. Agree!

7p. Ok, go ahead and have fun!

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

orient - 14 June 2012 10:12 AM

I’m not a prude in any way, but the suits she wore looked like a sci-fi nerd’s wet dream. It’s kind of embarrassing.

I couldn’t agree more. Does that actually sell? It looks ridiculous and is indeed highly embarassing. I’d take the whole thing one hellofalot more seriously if they just removed the latex-ass altogether. Other than that one issue it seems alright, I guess.

If you’re the kind of person who has happily been funding veterans and their kickstarters like crazy, why not give these newcomers a chance? Contrary to all those big-namers, these guys depend on your money for real. If you’ve got the cash to spare, give ‘em the benefit of the doubt, I say.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

theo - 18 June 2012 02:11 PM
orient - 14 June 2012 10:12 AM

I’m not a prude in any way, but the suits she wore looked like a sci-fi nerd’s wet dream. It’s kind of embarrassing.

I couldn’t agree more. Does that actually sell? It looks ridiculous and is indeed highly embarassing. I’d take the whole thing one hellofalot more seriously if they just removed the latex-ass altogether. Other than that one issue it seems alright, I guess.

If you’re the kind of person who has happily been funding veterans and their kickstarters like crazy, why not give these newcomers a chance? Contrary to all those big-namers, these guys depend on your money for real. If you’ve got the cash to spare, give ‘em the benefit of the doubt, I say.

I agree with this. Personally I don’t have the money to spare, I’ve just been too desperate to get new Jensen and Tex game. If I had a lot of money, I’d love to throw it around in kickstarter for these newcomers trying to make their way.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top