• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sam Suede™ in Undercover Exposure

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

a link to the kickstarter site.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for creating a new thread for Sam.  I believe Wisecrack is putting up a new update shortly.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

it was more appropriate to have a new thread for info updates.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

great to see the new, all positive thread!
Good luck Steve Smile

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm… how to revive this… tricky question. First thing I would do is make some trailers/teasers showcasing the gameplay. The gameplay in the pitch video is kindv buried under everything else and if you can appeal to people with that more they might start to focus on the game again.
And maybe this is just me, but i still think they need a video of al giving his support. Or at the very least him making a statement that the 10k tier has his blessing (if he hasnt done so already).
Lastly.. i think the reward tiers need a complete overhaul.. but that can be dealt with in the event things get rolling again…

Oh and that horribly photoshopped picture of al still on the main page where you can see bits of his badge still on his shirt? That needs to GO.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks, Jaap.

Zane, plenty to think about there.  I’ve already pointed Ken at this thread so he may well take on board your feedback.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-08

PM

Hello, I’m Ken Wegrzyn,

I thought I’d introduce myself into the forum. 

Thanks for your valuable input.  We appreciate all the input we get from various sources and will take everything into consideration in the wider context of the Kickstarter project and the game’s development.

In regards to the 10K tier, I just want to assure everyone that I have Al’s blessing and we’ve picked out the restaurant.

And my hope is that everyone will support the project along with Steve, myself, and the whole team that’s worked so hard in putting the project together.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I’m sorry to say I do not find the game interesting. I would not presume to say it is a “girl” issue, but I just find the idea of a crude, Casanova-type who sees ladies as usable items (judged from the description) very unsettling in a newer game.

Leisure suit Larry I can accept because he’s such a loser, his crude love of ladies is amusing because he has no clue how to deal with them.

But then I have a tendency to not like Casanova-type characters anyway, and I can’t stand crude, objectifying humour, so I’m going to assume the game is not aimed at me in any way.

If nothing else I’m very sure my decision is in no way coloured by the whole debacle with replay games.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

Good to have a positive thread about this game and wished everyone was positive from the start - I mean, in what universe can a new adventure game from such cool people, who have earned so much respect in adventure gaming, ever be a bad thing…

A question: how close will the final gameplay be to the one shown on the video? If it’ll be similar I agree with zane, gameplay could be shown outside the main video. 5 minute video, highlight those gameplay features!

As for Al’s photo I think they picked it because Al was actually wearing a Sam Suede shirt just like Ken is in the video. To me that’s good, shows Al was involved in the game - even got the shirt. On the other hand that’s not immediately obvious, the logo is too small to read so you have to go on context, without context some may think the photo was simply lifted from Al’s website and photoshopped to appear otherwise.

I understand the dilemma.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Excuse me. but for an $8000 contribution I get the opportunity to expose myself to the world, with my name attached. How wonderful!

This continually brings me back to the subject of backer v investor.

Congratulations to the backer who wants some “exposure” and is willing to pay $8000 for same.

What about the “investor” that simply wants a return on the investment? I get 2% from Chase. Better than that from other accounts.

What kind of ROI does Lickstarter offer? Other than the oportunity for personal “exposure”, not much.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I backed this project because it sounded interesting enough, and I’m always happy to help another adventure game get made. I’d be interested in finding out more about it, hopefully in the near future, as well as getting to see some more gameplay videos from the prototype, as well as artwork.

There are some things I have questions about, based on the pitch video:

-The game seems to have had a long development cycle, with a lot of money invested already, so I’m wondering how much of it is currently complete, and what are the areas where the Kickstarter money will go towards finishing?

-There was mention in the video that the game had to be rebuilt to work on next-gen consoles, but the graphics in the gameplay prototype looked somewhat dated, so I’m wondering how indicative of the final product that is.

-What minimum operating requirements are you envisaging for the game? I mostly game on the PS3 these days, so my PC hardware is no longer what it used to be.

I think that’s all for now. Good luck with the project, I hope you get funded.

rtrooney - 08 June 2012 10:01 PM

This continually brings me back to the subject of backer v investor.

You really don’t need to keep coming back to it, you’ve done that one to death already. It’s patently clear that Kickstarter isn’t about making a financial investment. If you want an investment then you can take a gamble on the stock market, or in real estate, or you can just put all your money in a little savings account and hope that the rate of inflation doesn’t strip away the value of it faster than you can accrue a single figure interest rate. Let’s just try to keep this thread on the topic of Sam Suede, and not drift into a general Kickstarter tangent again.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Panthera - 08 June 2012 07:27 PM

I’m sorry to say I do not find the game interesting. I would not presume to say it is a “girl” issue, but I just find the idea of a crude, Casanova-type who sees ladies as usable items (judged from the description) very unsettling in a newer game.

I understand your concerns - I, too, would feel uncomfortable playing such a character these days without the game having a wider context into which he would fit.  However Sam Suede is not like that anyway.

The game is not about playing a character who uses women or even wants to do so.  Sam’s overriding passion throughout the game is to become a private detective.  He’s spent the last of his savings on this detective holiday and becomes embroiled in the case of a real murder.  It’s his chance to prove himself.  His investigation often takes him into titillating situations filled with innuendo, but Sam is so focussed on his goal that he wouldn’t recognise a come-on if it smacked him in the face with thigh-high stiletto boots.  We’re also aiming for a teen rating on the game so this guides our intentions.

The character and story will both be rich and diverse.  Yes, there is risqué humour, but there is also so much more than that.

Of course, you may still find that it’s not a game for you but I hope that you’ll at least give it a try when it comes out and let us know what you think.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Steve Ince - 09 June 2012 02:39 AM
Panthera - 08 June 2012 07:27 PM

I understand your concerns - I, too, would feel uncomfortable playing such a character these days without the game having a wider context into which he would fit.  However Sam Suede is not like that anyway.

The game is not about playing a character who uses women or even wants to do so.  Sam’s overriding passion throughout the game is to become a private detective.  He’s spent the last of his savings on this detective holiday and becomes embroiled in the case of a real murder.  It’s his chance to prove himself.  His investigation often takes him into titillating situations filled with innuendo, but Sam is so focussed on his goal that he wouldn’t recognise a come-on if it smacked him in the face with thigh-high stiletto boots.  We’re also aiming for a teen rating on the game so this guides our intentions.

The character and story will both be rich and diverse.  Yes, there is risqué humour, but there is also so much more than that.

Of course, you may still find that it’s not a game for you but I hope that you’ll at least give it a try when it comes out and let us know what you think.

This actually sounds very nice. I will be checking the project once Tex kickstarter ends and I see if I have any money left.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jatsie - 08 June 2012 10:56 PM

You really don’t need to keep coming back to it, you’ve done that one to death already. It’s patently clear that Kickstarter isn’t about making a financial investment. If you want an investment then you can take a gamble on the stock market, or in real estate, or you can just put all your money in a little savings account and hope that the rate of inflation doesn’t strip away the value of it faster than you can accrue a single figure interest rate. Let’s just try to keep this thread on the topic of Sam Suede, and not drift into a general Kickstarter tangent again.

I can almost agree with you. Not quite, but almost. At the lower levels, let’s say anything $500 or under, you’re funding the game. In return you get the game, a t-shirt, a poster, some level of involvement. Which is as it should be. However at the upper levels, I think things are a little different. E.g., at the $5000 level, I can have a semblance of me appear in the game by name.

For an extra $3K I can do it “nekkid”. How much do I want to spend for public humilation? Not quite that much.

As to your investment statement, of course I can invest in real eastate, et al. And I could also give the money to a charity such as Children’s Miracle Network, and get not only the reward for doing it, but a tax deduction as well.

I think I will drop a buck or three on the game just “because”. The because that I REALLY dislike the LSL crap that is going on.

Sorry, Josh, I really had money ready for your game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

rtrooney - 08 June 2012 10:01 PM

Excuse me. but for an $8000 contribution I get the opportunity to expose myself to the world, with my name attached. How wonderful!

my sentiment exactly, in fact all of the tiers from 1000 to 8000 are just putting your picture and identity in the game… its too one dimensional.
Some of these tiers worked for LSL, but they were more varied and spread, and also they worked more because it already had a sentimental fan base to appeal to. Having your picture in the game is less appealing for a new series which youve never played. And really, not everyone wants their picture in the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top