• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mikekelly - 03 June 2014 07:28 PM

However, for the Xbox 1 and PS4 it’s all they got for now.

?? It’s also available for PS3/X360/PC (also cheaper)

neilka - 04 June 2014 04:41 AM

I have to wonder how Dave Gilbert feels about it though, as it comes pretty close to essentially being a big budget version of the Blackwell games, down to featuring a young female medium (whose mother is also a medium) solving crimes with the help of a ghost who himself has a criminal background...

My copy only unlocks on Friday (Europe) but if the game is half as good as the Blackwell series I would already be happy.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Terrible game… The only reason i’m still going is because i want to see how the story ends (and if it ends like i predicted i will kill someone).

There’s just nothing to like in this game. Salem is probably the smallest town in the US, since everything is around 200m apart, i still don’t see why we even need the free roam aspect since all you do is collect pieces of info and unless you’re OCD why would you even bother? The 2 “sidequests” are hilarious since everything you need to know is right next to the person. Investigations are totally pointless, you walk around a room gathering clues and then make conclusions. What that means is you walk around the room, pressing a button when a hotspot appears then clicking a image to make the story go forward. There’s NO challenge, nothing. Its just pressing buttons for the sake of it.
Then you have the fucking demons which is one of the most tedious things in games ever. The reason being i don’t understand why it needs to be there. Who tested this game and said “my god, those demons, what a fun and challenging gameplay mechanic”... Its just a thing to make the game feel 5 min longer and a whole lot more tedious. They go around “searching” for you and you can sneak up on them and kill them. If they see you, you need to zap around stuff to hide from them. Why, WHY was this necessary. Its not challenging, its just so goddamn tedious it makes my head hurt.

To me it looks like someone played Walking Dead/Wolf/Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls (same afterlife drivel) and wanted to make something similar. But instead of just going for a linear story driven experience, they decide to put “gameplay” in it for no reason whatsoever. Its just pressing buttons. You help someone escape from a police station… the only thing you do is walk up to the only brightly lit phone/printer, use your ghostly powers to make it go berserk, cop goes to check, the person you’re helping can pass. Repeat. Why was it even necessary? And its not like you can actually screw anything up…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ah, sucks it it’s a bad game. I was thinking of getting this, but now it looks like there’s no hurry. Perhaps I’ll get it from sale at some point.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Ok finished it (its laughably short) and the story is kinda okay-ish, but when the big reveal comes everything ends so fast its almost pointless. The story doesn’t offset the horrendous gameplay though. I can’t remember the last time a game frustrated me this much by making me do totally tedious stuff just for the sake of it.

Also you get some “ghost powers” who have absolutely no value expect at specific points the game decides. You can “posses” a person and read their mind… This means you get two thoughts made each of 1 sentence the people of Salem apparently think over and over again. Best thing is when you posses two cops in succession and find out they are both thinking the exact same sentence!

Its also fun when the game presents you with a problem. There’s a demon-trap-thingy on the floor which you can’t pass, but you can go over it if you posses someone and he “carries you over”. Well when this happens there’s always someone standing on the other side, on your side is of course a convenient way to call him over! Wow. That was hard. I almost thought the designers were just having a joke.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Okay this game is ripoff at 60$.

I finished it in one sitting around 4hours , probably less without any side quests.

Story is , to my surprise by japanese writers?? In the credits they mention
creative and story writer as some japanese guy.

The game reminds me of old Ps2 Adventure experimental games.
Flawed mechanics and decent story , decent past time but way too short,
so adjust your budget and expectations accordingly.

VAs are nice.

It not anywhere close to Deadly Premonition.

This game should have been digital at 15$.

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The game’s biggest problem is that it’s just so dull. It’s like someone took a “find the 400 collectibles scattered throughout the city” sidequest from an Assassin’s Creed or Grand Theft Auto and stretched it out into a 5-hour game. 90% of your time in this is spent walking through bland environments looking for stuff to pick up which have next to nothing to do with the case at hand. There are moments where the mystery takes an interesting turn or some suspense actually kicks in but those are few and far between and the resolution is so quick and unsatisfying that it pretty much cancels out anything good along the way. It’s also so weirdly small, there are only 4 or 5 actual characters involved in the story and the entire events of the game seem to take place over a span of maybe 2 hours on one night.

The moment which best highlights the game’s ineptitude is when you obtain the “ghost power” of teleportation halfway through. After chasing another ghost who can teleport for a while, your main character eventually says “man, I have to figure out how to do that!” and then suddenly you have the ability to do it. You don’t learn it, you don’t pick up some power-up, your character simply decides he’s gonna be able to do it now. It’s laziness like that which boggles the mind.

What a crushing disappointment this game is. It should be an oddball cult classic like Shadow of Destiny or Deadly Premonition but it’s just an absolute bore.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

This is one of a kind game,walking through walls and possesing people entertaining enough,art direction is just spot on,no doubt conventional adventurers may not like that but for modern adventurers game offers more challenge than TWD or TWAU.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 07 June 2014 02:35 AM

This is one of a kind game,walking through walls and possesing people entertaining enough,art direction is just spot on,no doubt conventional adventurers may not like that but for modern adventurers game offers more challenge than TWD or TWAU.

60$ are too much for 4 hrs movie, atleast TTGames are priced right.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Ok, so I guess I’ll be a little bit of a contrarian on this one.  I just finished playing through the game, and while it’s not perfect, I enjoyed it a lot and don’t regret the purchase.

Pros: I thought the story was very good.  Yes, in many ways, the story ends up about where you would think it would, but the way the story develops and what happens along the way was very interesting IMO.  I really liked the two main characters: the detective and a young girl he teams up with.  I never thought I would be able to tolerate a main character who has a chain wallet, but in the end, I thought he was very cool.  Acting all across the board I thought was very good, again especially with the two main characters.  Graphics and art direction are also very good.  It essentially all happens at night, so I got a very Alan Wake-y vibe from it, in as far as mood goes, not gameplay.  I may be in the minority, but collecting the side items appeals to the completist in me.  I took my time exploring the town and possessing random folks, and I was able to find 232/242 of the items.  Especially worth collecting are the item sets that reward you with a audio ghost story, which are usually pretty creepy.  I was able to find all of those. 

Cons:  I would agree very much with those who say the game is short and not worth $60.  I would say I spent about 9 hours on it, but like I said I spent a lot of time screwing around and looking for stuff.  I ended up getting a sweet preorder deal on Green Man for $34, and I feel I got my money’s worth for a new release, but I definitely think most people will want to wait around until it’s like $20 or so (which shouldn’t take too long).  Music was fairly forgettable, mostly mood music.  I will also list the gameplay in this section as yes, the “stealth” sections are not exactly challenging.  But for those who want an Alan Wake-type story but aren’t up for the Alan Wake challenge, this might be a good choice.

So, overall the pros definitely outweighed the cons for me personally anyway.  The main thought I kept having as I was playing the game was comparing it to Assassin’s Creed 1.  Assassin’s Creed had some great ideas but the gameplay of the first game was just not very good and could be tedious.  But then, it was followed by the glorious AC2.  I have a feeling that given the chance, a very similar thing could happen with this game.  It’s got some really great ideas, but a lot that they really could work on to make it better.

Summary: if the premise of the game or the trailer looked like something you might enjoy, wait till the game goes on a good $20 sale, and don’t be dissuaded.  I think for that price, many will enjoy it.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I really liked this game too. As far as big recent console adventures, it’s probably my favourite. Did the L.A Noire “crime scene” stuff better- and more frequently- than L.A Noire, and I found it had a much more coherent story (and also was somewhat less misogynistic) than Deadly Premonition. Action stuff was much easier too, and far less prevalent, which I thought was good. Deadly Premonition had, I thought, really poor action stuff at EVERY main story location, whereas this game had places where you could freely explore without worrying about (second) death. And the places that did have death were usually restricted to one or two areas. So I loved what they did with the danger aspect. It’s there, but not too there, and it made it feel that much closer to an adventure game than the aforementioned games.

Loved the setting- thought it was the exact right size- and the back-story stuff for the main character as well as the town, and just enjoyed exploring every nook and cranny and collecting all the plaques/newspapers/ghost stories et al. If what we saw here is the kind of thing they’re going to do with Dreamfall Chapters, I’ll be quite happy as I liked collecting all this stuff.

I would have liked there to be more people to help. In the second half of the game, there were numerous people who were in need of help, and he just said “sorry, can’t help you”. Wasted a few opportunities for additional sidequests I thought.

But yeah, I actually spent more money than others on it (but also time, it took 10-12 hours for me) but I don’t regret it a bit.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. But yeah…each to their own.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the game, I also enjoyed it, some problems with but I had some fun exploring Salem. Took me around 9h, got a lot the collectibles/achievements. Best part were the investigation bits and the setting. I thought mixture of new/old Salem with creepy ghosts looming everywhere that disappeared worked well.

The main character was ok, but didn’t like that most of the interesting backstory came from the boring collecting of 40 pieces of information. They could have showed his story through the tattos ot something. The only collecting that would have made some sense would be historical ones because of the connection to the sites. Ghost stories were a very nice touch but (again) collecting an x number of the same object got boring (specially when you were missing only one…) - I think they could have been uncovered with “revelations” of what happened.

The game started strong but I think there was a lack of time or problems in the production that kept it from being great. Examples:
- First place had a girl to help that involved investigationwith the old couple twisted story, when you’te out in the city you can help the girl by the boat and the guy in the car accident (this was the best one because because it had various steps). These side quests completely disappear after this and the collectathons begins.
- The cemitery had that interesting yellow fever quarantine zone with the doctors experiments, you even have some objects to observe, but nothing is done with it, I think a side quest supposed to be there or something.
- Some interesting snippets of ghosts with dark stories show up (mother that killed baby; accident in the bathtub; frat boy stuck in cemetery) and it usually only involves a single question. They are interesting but are inconsequential. I wonder it this game was gouing to have a morality system at some point.
- Cat possession was fun the first time, but you basically couldn’t possess snything else except to hear repetitive thoughts ot do the poltergeist thing in some places (Ghost Trik this ain’t).

I still think the game was still worth it for the atmosphere, story and investigation parts but a lot of the potential was lost.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For the eighth generation I’m going with the 3DS for shooters/AR games and VITA for adventure games.

I may in 7-8 years get a PS4 for $119 dollars and pickup the adventures games that got released on it for 5-10 dollars each.

This game sounds like it will be on that list - I’d say for the PS4 this game is a good start and despite the mixed reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/murdered-soul-suspect

Is worth keeping an eye on down the road.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Airtight Games is no more:

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/airtight-games-taken-last-breath/

Airtight Games has quietly closed its Redmond headquarters, bringing an apparent end to its 10-year run as an independent video-game development shop less than a month after the debut of its newest title for PCs and consoles.

Company executives haven’t yet responded to requests for comment about the closure, but Airtight’s former office space in Redmond has been shuttered, and its office equipment was being sold off at heavy discounts when GeekWire visited this morning, with a sign outside saying the company is closing its doors.

A small collection of Airtight’s past awards from the E3 video game convention sat on an empty desk, amid a sea of unused monitors and computer equipment.

The company, known for past games including Dark Void and Quantum Conundrum, released the game Murdered: Soul Suspect for Windows PCs, Xbox and Playstation in early June, in partnership with game publisher Square Enix.

Airtight laid off 14 employees earlier this year, and its former creative director Kim Swift later joined Amazon Game Studios.

Airtight executive Jim Deal told IGN at the time of the layoffs in April that the move was part of a “necessary restructuring.” He added at the time, “This restructuring is part of the normal ebb and flow of game production. Existing projects are on schedule and Airtight Games is actively seeking partners for exciting upcoming projects.”

Airtight’s website remains online with no mention of the closure. We’ll update this post as we learn more.

I guess this is the second instance following L.A. Noire where a triple A adventure game came out, it was a swing and a miss and the developer closed down.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The layoffs happened in April and the game didn’t come out until June. Seems to be more a matter of not having a new project financed, not the (lack of) success of Murdered.

That said, we just kicked a little dirt on their grave with our own review.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

The game has a -75% sale right now on steam, so it seemed like an ideal time to get the game.
So far my feelings are mixed, it has some great gameplay mechanics but like others said it all feels quite bland and dull.
But it’s great that the adventure genre is blending with new types of game genres.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top