• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spontaneous CPT of Strangeland

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

DCast - 15 June 2021 08:47 PM

I suppose Bon saw this game much closer to the way you, as a writer, intended then. I definitely found a few things that made me smile internally, but overall dark theme wouldn’t let me call it full of humor, or anything. I suppose it’s quite fascinating to see how people react to something that you have created differently.

It seems to me that the authorial intent was, broadly speaking, somewhere in-between our interpretations, as the dev also wrote that it wasn’t intended as a hero’s journey. So, kudos to all! Grin (Of course, I guess all personal interpretations are legit, “death of the author”, and all of that…)

@Wormwood_Studios

While I did voice some constructive criticism, I think you did a great job where it matters the most in the context of this project’s conceptual vision (as I understood it): it is a very good game. I very much enjoyed the puzzles (even the starfish one!), the way they are intertwined with the story, and the overall pacing allowing us to experience the intense horror story without losing momentum. Apart from that, the audio-visuals, to me, are amazing. It’s hard to say which I like more, the background drawings or the music/soundscapes. The commentary tracks are interesting, too. It’s like you were sure of your product’s quality, so you inserted the commentary; if the game turned out to be lousy, those would likely be seen as pretentious. With two very good games under your belt now, I too am certainly looking forward to Fallen Gods. Cheers!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2021-05-01

PM

@DCast: What I mean by humor is a particular form of caustic humor that laughs (bleakly) at the awfulness of a situation. However, even I still laugh at some of the jokes in the game (odd to laugh at one’s own jokes), particularly the ending when you use the knife on your foe.

@Baron_Blubba: Thanks, though I always tell people “trust but verify.” There’s no reason to pre-commit to backing games that are in production. People’s expressions of support really do mean the world to me, but above all else, I hate to disappoint.

@Bon: I didn’t read any of it as even criticism—constructive feedback, more. Regarding the commentary, ultimately I make games to say what I feel I must say. In this case, some of that was said in the game, and some in the commentary. More pretentious are the annotations, but I guess I had a phobia of people claiming that everything in the game was random and meaningless, so by writing down what the references meant in advance, I could say, “See!” This is what happens when lawyers make video games; lots of memos to file…

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I waited for this experience to settle, I hope it’s cool if I share a couple of final thoughts.

It’s a demanding experience. The puzzles are finely crafted and most of them work very well. The game’s length is fine enough. It’s visually stunning, if rather arduous in combination with the ambient/powernoise soundtrack, its themes, characters and the way it communicates with you.

The writing style is peculiar. It took a while to figure out exactly how to describe it. It’s not heavy-handed, per se, affected, or detached. Overly referential, maybe a bit, but just calling it that doesn’t do it justice.

This subject matter is generally (in other media) approached in a less challenging way: from melancholy to melodrama, trying to be real or consciously gimmicky, the emotional notes are easy to identify. They push the obvious buttons. Gloomy, sad, pity, tragic. “Strangeland” avoids the sentimental and goes for conveying actual pain.

It has many ideas that it bundles into themes, sitting on a stack of books with sticky notes between the pages. In the background, there’s a bulletin board full of interconnected pins in many different colours, with red threads spun between them, covering the surface almost entirely. There are polaroids, photocopied pages from books and handwritten notes, punctuated by question and exclamation marks.

But you can’t open the books. The game rests on top of the stacks, carefully balanced. You can read the sticky notes, but the rest is up to you. And with the lights on, you can see the board hanging on the wall, but in this darkness, you can only catch a glimpse every now and then.

Its horror is genuinely horrific. It also seems honestly personal, even when it isn’t pretty. I’m not much into horror, but I appreciate this approach. The reference-heavy internal proces on display is lonely and isolated, desperately reaching in different directions to make up for a lost center. It maybe a bit too heady at points, but on a visceral level, it hurts.

There is humour, both dark and more in jest, enough to take a breath every once in a while.

So.. good, then? Well, it’s consequent and it works. I do think it tries to go in too many directions to prove it’s foundations are legit, that the implied meaning is real, with footnotes. This results in three problems:

loss of immersion. The player tries to get all the references and the game becomes an Easter egg hunt of myth and psychology.

The game is like a personal bookshelf. The age-old criticism of obtuse puzzle design (the player has to retroactively read the creators mind) applies to the narrative here.

The sources the author relies on do not always tie into each other in an organic fashion. Some of its references, particularly those of sources that are on the whole underused, seem like stopgap solutions to otherwise barely connected narrative elements. This leads to a source overload.

I just read the comment by Wormwood_Studios, and I think I get the fear of being considered pretentious. It’s an odd and often uninspired charge at anything that attempts to be meaningful, artistic or otherwise deep.

I think pretense can be cringey, but so can earnestness. Pretense can also be a good thing: Jackson Pollock only had a vague understanding of things like the collective unconscious or the archetypes of Jung, but that left room for these ideas to mesh with his own creative impulse and the other influences that inspired him to create his art. The abstraction that follows loosely appropriated ideas provides space for art to grow on it’s own and space for the observer to have a personal experience.

The fear of being seen as suggesting, but not completely providing, (proof of) depth, has slightly overshadowed the space described in the previous paragraph. It becomes too dense, it has too much to prove regarding its source material, that it starts to rely too heavily on it’s source material. A bit more suggestion, pretense, if you will, wouldn’t have hurt.

Joined 2021-05-01

PM

An interesting and thoughtful take. Thank you for it!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

That’s a courteous answer to a long-winded appraisal.  Thumbs Up

It must be odd having people discuss your hard work and vision. How’s the reception been so far? If I were to review this, I’d like to be able to let it sink in for at least a couple of months, but that’s not really how these things work, I suppose.

By the way, I briefly mentioned the soundtrack, but it’s pretty wild. Bold choice as well. It could’ve been more of a synth-soundscape, couple of sad notes, catchy melodies, the works. But this was way better.

Very curious what you’ll come up with next time. If you’re willing to create another game!

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 21 June 2021 03:51 PM

It must be odd having people discuss your hard work and vision. How’s the reception been so far? If I were to review this, I’d like to be able to let it sink in for at least a couple of months, but that’s not really how these things work, I suppose.

By the way, I briefly mentioned the soundtrack, but it’s pretty wild. Bold choice as well. It could’ve been more of a synth-soundscape, couple of sad notes, catchy melodies, the works. But this was way better.

Very curious what you’ll come up with next time. If you’re willing to create another game!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the game a lot. Despite operating on so many similar wavelengths, your experience with this game and subsequent thoughts seem to be relatively oblique to my own—often headed in the same direction, but approached from a different angle and from a different starting point.
Well written and with some interesting phrasing, appropriate for expressing so many interesting thoughts.
Thanks for taking the time.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-05-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 21 June 2021 03:51 PM

I actually wrote, deleted, rewrote, redeleted an effort to give a more elaborate response (still, courteous, I think!), but it felt like it wasn’t worth reading. Grin

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Baron_Blubba: thank you!

@Wormwood_Studio: Don’t hold back on my account, elaborate responses to me are like Faygo to a Juggalo.

Though it’s cool if you don’t share whatever you think would be unnecessary.

Some questions, if that’s alright! From what I can tell, one of you developed both the visual and the audible art of this game. The music is quite unlike anything I’ve heard in an adventure game before. Even outside of AGs, it’s quite unusual. This is one of the few things I can come up with that might be in the same sub-genre (or spirit) as this game’s OST. Quite unique! How did the artist come up with the soundtrack? What were the inspirations (musically, or otherwise!), was it composed during, after or maybe even before the rest of the game?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top