• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinlakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 June 2021 01:08 PM
DCast - 14 June 2021 05:26 AM

I also just came across something that ticked all my boxes, and AG doesn’t have in database yet - The Bookwalker!

It looks a bit like “Stasis” to me, visually (which I’m a huge fan of), and the description starts with “You’re a thief with an ability to dive into books”... That might just be a dream that may “sort of” come true in this game - getting into the different worlds of books was something I always daydreamed about, so this little thing goes straight to the top of my ever-expanding wishlist!

I once played a game where the main character had similar powers. It wasn’t very good.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/pagemaster_

But seriously, Bookwalker looks cool. The idea of merging the book-diving idea with a thieving initiative is a good one. I like the isometric view, too. Thanks for sharing this.

It’s a shame. I’ve never played Pagemaster, but there’s something I like about those funky screenshots

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, Danganronpa Decadence Collection is coming to the switch. This includes all three original games and a bonus game too- Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp.

Should be great fun!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

What does Decadence Collection include? I don’t have Switch, but I own all of the games on PC. Is the only serious addition is a bonus game? And by “serious” I mean - not new artwork or new sound, or an extra novel to read, but an actual playable content. Also, I’m assuming it’ll be a rather short bonus game, not a full-fledged Danganronpa title?

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 15 June 2021 08:04 PM
Baron_Blubba - 14 June 2021 01:08 PM
DCast - 14 June 2021 05:26 AM

I also just came across something that ticked all my boxes, and AG doesn’t have in database yet - The Bookwalker!

It looks a bit like “Stasis” to me, visually (which I’m a huge fan of), and the description starts with “You’re a thief with an ability to dive into books”... That might just be a dream that may “sort of” come true in this game - getting into the different worlds of books was something I always daydreamed about, so this little thing goes straight to the top of my ever-expanding wishlist!

I once played a game where the main character had similar powers. It wasn’t very good.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/pagemaster_

But seriously, Bookwalker looks cool. The idea of merging the book-diving idea with a thieving initiative is a good one. I like the isometric view, too. Thanks for sharing this.

It’s a shame. I’ve never played Pagemaster, but there’s something I like about those funky screenshots

It wasn’t much of a game. Only slightly more of a game, actually, than The Manhole and those other ‘interactive multimedia story book’ games of the early 90’s. You just click around, stuff happens, and you go to the next scene. I’m surprised The Page Master franchise in general hasn’t seen a resurgence. What with the recent zeitgeist love for that era of movies and technology, and the Macaulay Culkin Cult of Awareness that seems to always lurk beneath the surface of hipster pop culture consciousness, you’d think something would have happened by now, but no.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

So I have a question about Danganronpa. I’ve never played the games or watched the anime, but I’ve seen screenshots of the former. A little girl, maybe 9 years old, walked into my toy store today and saw some Ghibli keychains. She started talking about anime to me and told me that her favorite one of all is Danganronpa. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but from seeing the pictures from the game, this doesn’t really seem like appropriate viewing for a 9 year old. Is the content in the anime different from what Adv_Lvr has been posting in the Adventure Game Scene thread recently, or are this girl’s parents very negligent/very liberal with what their kid watches?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 June 2021 09:55 PM

So I have a question about Danganronpa. I’ve never played the games or watched the anime, but I’ve seen screenshots of the former. A little girl, maybe 9 years old, walked into my toy store today and saw some Ghibli keychains. She started talking about anime to me and told me that her favorite one of all is Danganronpa. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but from seeing the pictures from the game, this doesn’t really seem like appropriate viewing for a 9 year old. Is the content in the anime different from what Adv_Lvr has been posting in the Adventure Game Scene thread recently, or are this girl’s parents very negligent/very liberal with what their kid watches?

Can’t speak for the anime. I only played 3 main games, and it’s a rather strange, peculiar experience that I quite enjoyed. And I’m not an anime person at all. As far as games go - there’s definitely some fan service in them, but comparative to other games made in the same vein it’s pretty tame, as so many games tend to be hyper-sexualized sometimes. I don’t remember precisely, but I’m going to say that a 9-year old would see some very shapely girls in swimsuits on a few occasions, and that’s about where it will end, because you’d need to actually get the references behind the images to understand if more is implied.
Rather than sexy parts, I’d be more concerned with an actual game content for a 9-year old because there’s a bunch of teens who end up murdered one by one in the most insane ways until you figure out who’s behind it (this is an investigative game. Ace Attorney-ish like but with a crazy homicidal streak), which would seem too much for a kid, in my opinion

I’d let someone else to answer for the anime itself. I’m thinking at least the subject should be the same?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

DCast - 15 June 2021 08:37 PM

What does Decadence Collection include? I don’t have Switch, but I own all of the games on PC. Is the only serious addition is a bonus game? And by “serious” I mean - not new artwork or new sound, or an extra novel to read, but an actual playable content. Also, I’m assuming it’ll be a rather short bonus game, not a full-fledged Danganronpa title?

No major upgrades or additions to the first three games. The new game is a “boardgame-style bonus game with all-new scenes and interactions between your favorite characters.”

About Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp

With an all-star dream lineup of characters from each Danganronpa game, gather Hope Fragments at a tropical resort. Explore Jabberwock Island and develop your Dangan characters. Gather money through battle and upgrade your equipment, then defeat bosses and move on to the next island!

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Jackal - 15 June 2021 10:25 PM
DCast - 15 June 2021 08:37 PM

No major upgrades or additions to the first three games. The new game is a “boardgame-style bonus game with all-new scenes and interactions between your favorite characters.”

About Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp

With an all-star dream lineup of characters from each Danganronpa game, gather Hope Fragments at a tropical resort. Explore Jabberwock Island and develop your Dangan characters. Gather money through battle and upgrade your equipment, then defeat bosses and move on to the next island!

Ah, thanks Jackal! Not much lost by not owning a Switch then Grin

Although, I can totally see others get really excited for this kind of bonus content - this game has quite a faithful following, so I’m happy they get something new.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Next, I am moving to Switch/PC, I already have the hardware and games. I’m just too addicted to PS4/IOS games to make the upgrade just yet.

1) I would not let a 9 year old watch the anime, period. 13 with an adult present at least. The anime and games do have some violence in them…..

2) Heres the skinny on the Nintendo games:

Danganronpa Decadnece is intended to celebrate the series’ 10th anniversary, the original game having been a cult hit for PlayStation Portable, before it was ported to the PlayStation Vita with its western release. Since then, it and its sequels have been brought to a variety of different consoles and platforms.

The three main titles are all being upgraded to Anniversary Editions.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary Edition

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Anniversary Edition

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony Anniversary Edition

The final extra is Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp, a boardgame-style bonus game that has been expanded to include new scenes and interactions between the various characters.
There will also be a collectors edition release, featuring a 10th anniversary poster, a collector’s edition outer box, a lenticular print set, a remixed OST, and all four games on a single cartridge.

I love collecting video games, and I’m buying the collectors edition. The Switch is a great system to collect for and I am looking fwd to collecting more games on the system.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Nice Adv_Lvr!!! Looks like you’ll be getting a bag of goodies Smile

I hope you’ll update us on this boardgame-style bonus, and how fun it is to play it.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

DCast - 14 June 2021 05:18 AM
TheLongestJourney - 14 June 2021 12:40 AM

Did you get a chance to play NORCO or The Big Con yet?

I played both of them yesterday and it was a lot of fun. NORCO is by far my most anticipated game of 2021 and getting to play such a long demo solidified that.

I have tickets for Harold Halibut and Sable booked for Thursday so I’m excited for to check those out too. This exclusive demo concept has made this my favorite e3 by far.

It’s cool that you liked The Rewinder. I was also impressed by what I saw in the demo.

Another game I just discovered on the AGS forum is called
Pedro’s Adventures in Spanish The pixel art looks great and I’m super impressed that they were able to get voice acting for everything in the game. I don’t speak Spanish at all, but this looks like a fun way to learn and I’m happy to see that we don’t have long to wait.

Yes, I did! And you’re right - NORCO will stay as one of my most anticipated games of 2021 (and I really hope they won’t push the date).

I haven’t booked Harold Halibut - let me know how you’ll like it, as the game has been in development since forever, and there was lots of radio silence.

Pedro’s Adventures in Spanish added to wishlist.  Thumbs Up  I actually just came back from quite remote part of Mexico, and I did fairly well with my rudimentary Spanish - which means I didn’t totally suck and managed to get around rural parts just fine, so I’m curious how cool/challenging linguistically this game will be.

So I played the Harold Halibut demo today and I have to unfortunately report back that I did not enjoy it. Yes, it looks gorgeous, but it is really rough to play.

It wasn’t clear to me that it was going to be direct control rather than point and click from the trailers, so that was a surprise. Direct control can be done right in adventure games, but here a point and click control scheme makes way more sense. The movement was really janky and wouldn’t always detect hot spots. I know it’s still early, but it’s going to take a lot of work to make it feel natural.

The other issue is that after the initial scene you were kind of just left to explore the ship on your own, which could be cool, but controlling the character felt bad and there was barely anything to interact with. When I finally did find my next task, it wanted me to unscrew a dozen screws manually from a panel, but the controls were so painful I just quit.

After watching the Tribeca Games Spotlight, I would say the best point of comparison would be Truberbrook. That game was also developed by a German team and had a distinct visual style and both are a case where art and design are being prioritized over gameplay.

I think the story and characters have more potential here, but the puzzles were definitely a chore.

Sorry to kill the hype.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

TheLongestJourney - 18 June 2021 12:02 AM

So I played the Harold Halibut demo today and I have to unfortunately report back that I did not enjoy it. Yes, it looks gorgeous, but it is really rough to play.

It wasn’t clear to me that it was going to be direct control rather than point and click from the trailers, so that was a surprise. Direct control can be done right in adventure games, but here a point and click control scheme makes way more sense. The movement was really janky and wouldn’t always detect hot spots. I know it’s still early, but it’s going to take a lot of work to make it feel natural.

The other issue is that after the initial scene you were kind of just left to explore the ship on your own, which could be cool, but controlling the character felt bad and there was barely anything to interact with. When I finally did find my next task, it wanted me to unscrew a dozen screws manually from a panel, but the controls were so painful I just quit.

After watching the Tribeca Games Spotlight, I would say the best point of comparison would be Truberbrook. That game was also developed by a German team and had a distinct visual style and both are a case where art and design are being prioritized over gameplay.

I think the story and characters have more potential here, but the puzzles were definitely a chore.

Sorry to kill the hype.

You’re not killing the hype (well, not for me, at least). I feel like honest updates are the best. I actually didn’t know what to expect from Harold Halibut - it looked nice, but it didn’t seem to go anywhere from those screens they had published years ago due to them being very silent, so I don’t know if there was any build-up to their sudden appearance at the fest. I hope they’ll collect valuable feedback and improve the controls.

Truberbrook was a beautiful game that fell apart for me as it went along. Just wasn’t particularly engaging on any level. So I see your comparison - I also don’t really like when it’s “style over substance”, especially taken to the extreme.

Thank you!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This one I am also interested in:

Where the Heart Leads

Looks great so far,!,,,

Heart

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

DCast - 18 June 2021 10:25 AM

Sorry to kill the hype.

You’re not killing the hype (well, not for me, at least). I feel like honest updates are the best. I actually didn’t know what to expect from Harold Halibut - it looked nice, but it didn’t seem to go anywhere from those screens they had published years ago due to them being very silent, so I don’t know if there was any build-up to their sudden appearance at the fest. I hope they’ll collect valuable feedback and improve the controls.

Truberbrook was a beautiful game that fell apart for me as it went along. Just wasn’t particularly engaging on any level. So I see your comparison - I also don’t really like when it’s “style over substance”, especially taken to the extreme.

Thank you!

Yes, let’s hope. In it’s current stage I don’t see it releasing this year. i also just noticed that Nightmare Frames got a release date for 2022. I’m fine with the wait since this will be Postmodern Games first commercial release and it looks great.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Sorry to kill the hype.

Do you think some of the control issues could have been a result of playing over Parsec?

edit:
nvm, read some more previews and it seems like this is the common experience.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top