• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game puzzles. Which types you like most & least? Feedback appreciated for game dev

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

starseeker - 25 July 2020 05:37 AM
Origami - 24 July 2020 05:52 AM

Slide puzzles come to mind when I think of some I enjoy the least.

What is slide puzzles? Sorry for my ignorance

I believe he means things like these:

Taken from my Subject 13 walkthrough.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2014-10-02

PM

GateKeeper - 25 July 2020 05:52 AM

I believe he means things like these:

Taken from my Subject 13 walkthrough.

I see, I don’t like these either, as they feel cheap and lack of creativity.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

starseeker - 25 July 2020 06:35 AM

I see, I don’t like these either, as they feel cheap and lack of creativity.

What?  Gasp

Surely you don’t mean that, sir. There are:
-rectangular square puzzles,
-round ones, extra-large ones
-3D ones
-ones with colored tiles
-ones with a large array of different sizes and shapes,
-ones with picture drawn on it you have to arrange correctly
-Ones which run ont a timer you must solve before it runs out
-Ones which play a little ‘ding!’ when you solve it correctly
-Sliders which reward you for completing them with another slider to do

I mean, the list goes on forever. I’m sure you get my point!

Slide puzzles for life !  Laughing Thumbs Up

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Donuts McGee - 25 July 2020 08:03 AM

-Ones which run ont a timer you must solve before it runs out

I could do without the timed ones.
I don’t like timed anything.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

It is possible to use creativity in slider puzzles, to the extent of them not resembling slider puzzles much at all!

For instance, in Pilot Brothers 3: Back Side of the Earth you need to arrange train cars to form proper train configurations, using three railtracks and a switch track.

If you think about that puzzle, it’s nothing more than a slider puzzle in disguise, but that disguise is kind of creative, I think.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2014-10-02

PM

GateKeeper - 25 July 2020 08:51 AM

It is possible to use creativity in slider puzzles, to the extent of them not resembling slider puzzles much at all!

For instance, in Pilot Brothers 3: Back Side of the Earth you need to arrange train cars to form proper train configurations, using three railtracks and a switch track.

If you think about that puzzle, it’s nothing more than a slider puzzle in disguise, but that disguise is kind of creative, I think.

Some game are clever in integrating the “tabletop” puzzle into a level that feels better. I played FF7 remake & they have 2 “Pull lever” puzzle pieces (one Sect F or something, the other in a lab level)  that take place in a big hanger like a location that quite decent though a bit overstretches in length, filler enemies & distance between levers.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Although I haven’t played it, the Pilot Brothers train puzzle seems more like a Tower of Hanoi stacking puzzle.  They’re as ubiquitous as the paper under the door puzzles.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

crabapple - 25 July 2020 08:23 AM

Does anyone like any kinds of timed puzzles? I’ve seen quite a few different kinds of timed puzzles in games and they always seem rather frustrating. One pretty annoying is at the end of Future Wars where you are given 6-minutes to solve a maze. The first task is to get to the computer room of the space ship to cause the time bomb to explode before its intended time, then you have to run back to the escape ship. The kicker is, you can get to the computer room with too little time left to get back to the escape ship, so essentially you have only about 3 minutes to get to the one end and 3 to get to the other. An experience made even worse by the clunky controls.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Correct term should be sliding puzzles. Kind where you have a grid of panels and you can only slide one at a time in a vertical or horizontal position. They usually pose a decent challenge but very low on enjoyment and engagement value. A lot of times you are just brute-forcing your way and want to be done with it as quickly as possible.

But I agree with gatekeeper: In very rare instances they can be presented in a very creative way. But the more traditional ones are nothing less than boring and like you said lack creativity.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

tomimt - 25 July 2020 05:30 PM
crabapple - 25 July 2020 08:23 AM

Does anyone like any kinds of timed puzzles? I’ve seen quite a few different kinds of timed puzzles in games and they always seem rather frustrating. One pretty annoying is at the end of Future Wars where you are given 6-minutes to solve a maze. The first task is to get to the computer room of the space ship to cause the time bomb to explode before its intended time, then you have to run back to the escape ship. The kicker is, you can get to the computer room with too little time left to get back to the escape ship, so essentially you have only about 3 minutes to get to the one end and 3 to get to the other. An experience made even worse by the clunky controls.

There have been rare instances where performing under a time limit felt satisfying(I know how this sounds, but solely speaking within realm of videogames lol). Think of The Last Express for example. Or Ghost Trick. Or diffusing a bomb, an example where a time limit makes completely sense within its context. I think what’s important is that if there is a time limit it shouldnt feel too punishing. If you don’t solve the puzzle in time it should be because you simply failed the puzzle not because the time limit was unreasonable.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is the worst case scenario of timers. Every timer in the game is invisible, so you really don’t know how much time you have, and even if you (eventually) manage to beat that timer, it only triggers another one.

Sidekick High is an excellent example of a well-made timer game. You are given the task of escaping, and you have 60 minutes to do so. You know that if the time runs out, you will die. The timer is visible on the screen all the time, and there are no nasty twists to it, it’s very straightforward and fair.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

starseeker, the most useful feedback I can offer you based on my personal experience is include whatever puzzles you like - you can get away with a lot as long as the puzzles are varied throughout your game i.e. if there’s a puzzle that a player doesn’t like they are assured that they don’t come across similar again as….
......there is nothing more off-putting than coming across a puzzle that seems to be repeated throughout a game - not so bad if you like it but if you don’t it’s a thumbs down for the game.

Sometimes there are exceptions when ‘repetitive puzzles’ are integrated into the story/game e.g. To the Moon & Unforeseen Incidents but in both of those cases I’m sure that anyone that has played them will attest to the puzzles being quite easy.

I can’t think off-hand at the mo an example of a game that keeps repeating a particular puzzle - possibly Largo Winch is a candidate for it’s succession of hacking puzzles but there are others that I can’t recall.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

chrissie - 26 July 2020 09:38 AM

I can’t think off-hand at the mo an example of a game that keeps repeating a particular puzzle - possibly Largo Winch is a candidate for it’s succession of hacking puzzles but there are others that I can’t recall.

Train travelling in Mata Hari?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It doesn’t stick in my mind but I think there was a skip button?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 25 July 2020 08:51 AM

Nope.

Lady Kestrel - 25 July 2020 03:52 PM

Although I haven’t played it, the Pilot Brothers train puzzle seems more like a Tower of Hanoi stacking puzzle.  They’re as ubiquitous as the paper under the door puzzles.

Yes, it’s a Tower of Hanoi puzzle in a kind of creative disguise. A very easy one too.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top