• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkGabrielJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGs, with unmatched original plots?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GateKeeper - 13 January 2020 04:11 AM

Are you people familiar with the Tardigrades vs. Star Trek: Discovery case?

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

The case didn’t go further in the court, so supposedly there’s no plagiarism there, or maybe the guy had bad lawyers working on his case, who knows.

I hadn’t heard about it GateKeeper and thanks for posting. It makes for interesting reading and I do have sympathy for Anas Abdin but I tend to side with an article I found on Plagiarism Today (PT - Tardigrades) although my gut reaction, which has no basis in law anywhere in the world, is that the concept was taken from Tardigates.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I m a close follower of Anas, been always.. and i ve been following the incident for more than a year now, i hope his fundraised campaign (goal achieved) will help him to cover his law appeal against CBS.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Reality Incognita has a pretty unmatched plot in the AG genre (as far as I can tell) - to say too much about it would spoil the surpise.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Jabod - 13 January 2020 10:42 AM
GateKeeper - 13 January 2020 04:11 AM

Are you people familiar with the Tardigrades vs. Star Trek: Discovery case?

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

The case didn’t go further in the court, so supposedly there’s no plagiarism there, or maybe the guy had bad lawyers working on his case, who knows.

I hadn’t heard about it GateKeeper and thanks for posting. It makes for interesting reading and I do have sympathy for Anas Abdin but I tend to side with an article I found on Plagiarism Today (PT - Tardigrades) although my gut reaction, which has no basis in law anywhere in the world, is that the concept was taken from Tardigates.

What exactly is the concept? I’ve watched enough of Discovery to know it doesn’t have one. A dude with similar facial hair and sexuality and the inclusion of space bears (which are an actual real life thing) shouldn’t be allowed to be copyrighted, so I’m glad there was no legal case found by the court. Only if we want to continue the road into artistic stagnation that’s been going on since the 80s would we want to “protect” so-called “property” such as this.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-01-09

PM

I think you guys are missing the point. Yeah most stories have animated beens in it… are they all the same? no.
A good example of how far this can go is Quintin Tarantino. He probably doesn’t have a single frame or plot that’s not referencing something else, yet, one can find originality in his work. He makes a pastiche of what amuses him, and his take appears on the combination and details.
We should just focus in what we find original rather than trying to find precedent for other people’s choice (without question we can find precedents for every single title mentioned).
Just keep mentioning games, I’m putting them on my list.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-01-09

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top