• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Loom with Brian Moriarty

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think every adventure fan should watch this playthrough of Loom by the Space Quest historian (yes, there is such profession) with Brian Moriarty himself taking an active part in it. And then watch the Q&A with him where Brian Moriarty tells about the production of Loom. It’s brilliant and tells a lot about the authentic adventure design.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks for letting us know, I sure will. Brian Moriarty has been one of my adventure heroes since his excellent text adventure Trinity. He is a born storyteller and I’ve also read all of his lectures. The Secret of Psalm 46 was one of my favorites and I was delighted that it turned up in Jonathan Blow’s The Witness.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Will definitely watch. I don’t know how much overlap there is with this, but I remember that Moriarty’s Loom postmortem at GDC was very interesting.

I remember not caring much for Loom back in 1990; it was too short, too easy, too different from what you expected from an adventure game back then; maybe my 8-year-old self was also too young to really appreciate it. But my love for it has only grown ever since—whereas at this point even nostalgia isn’t able to prevent me from seeing the glaring flaws in most other adventures from the late 80s/early 90s.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Karlok - 30 January 2019 08:56 PM

The Secret of Psalm 46 was one of my favorites

I hadn’t encountered that before and it’s quite wonderful - thanks for sharing!

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Phlebas - 31 January 2019 06:51 AM
Karlok - 30 January 2019 08:56 PM

The Secret of Psalm 46 was one of my favorites

I hadn’t encountered that before and it’s quite wonderful - thanks for sharing!

I’ll add a link for anybody else who might be interested in an awe-some lecture on Easter Eggs in art.
http://ludix.com/moriarty/psalm46.html

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Loom is one of my favorite adventure games of all time; I also enjoyed Professor Moriarty’s CDC talk and “The Secret of Psalm 46” quite a lot.

Really interesting stuff in the AMA, and although I’m not a great fan of the chosen format, at least they asked him lots of interesting questions.

So, Telltale had optioned for the rights to a Loom sequel from Disney but didn’t have the time to develop a game within the 5 year timeframe they were allowed to, and then someone else optioned for them (but we don’t know who)... Hmmm. At least this seems to suggest that Disney is not blocking a potential continuation of the story.

Also, I’m not sure if he was asked about it, because I may have skimmed through the session, but it would be nice to know what exactly prevents the EGA version of LOOM to be digitally distributed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top