• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The big poll!

Poll: Which one of the two is the best?
Total Votes: 28
Sierra
Lucasarts

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

The big question:

Sierra or Lucasarts?

Who do you think is the best(actually was)and why?Which of the two companies do you love the most?Which one has produced the most classics?

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I have questions too Tongue
Does it matter? Why does it matter? Best in what? Do you want objective or subjective opinions? Who is eligible to be considered as objective, someone who has played all games? Is this poll a sparkle to start a flame war? Why to love a company, not a game? Company stands for business, developers stands for creativity and art and respect should go to them, imho. (nb: I’m not ranting)

Both companies have huge and important footprint in gaming history. For me it’s hard to put it into adventures-only frames and not see the bigger picture. Sierra’s Police Quest’s evolution brought us superb tactical shooters SWAT 3 & 4. LucasArts’s cancellations of Full Throttle, Sam&Max; etc sequels resulted the creation of Telltale. There are a lot of aspcts. Both companies’ games have put a lot of people on the scene, have inspired countless of games and gamers.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Tough question! Are we looking strictly at development or as an overall company? Sierra published a huge number of games made both in-house and by subsidiaries. They had a very successful business and management system and did great things for adventure games, releasing sequel after sequel of highly entertaining games. But sometimes they didn’t know when to stop - think King’s Quest 8, Space Quest 6, Police Quest SWAT. I like Lucasarts/Lucasfilm’s commitment to quality, original games. They didn’t rely as much on sequels except Monkey Island and continuously came up with great new ideas. Their company policy of puzzles that make sense and no deaths, made adventures accessible to a wider audience.

Who do I like better? I’ve probably spent slightly more time playing Lucasarts games, since I don’t have as much desire to replay the Quest games more than once or twice. But I couldn’t live without either. Imagine a world without Space Quest or Fate of Atlantis - no, it’s too hard   Cry

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

lewuz - 25 October 2012 07:06 AM

I have questions too Tongue
Does it matter? Why does it matter? Best in what? Do you want objective or subjective opinions? Who is eligible to be considered as objective, someone who has played all games? Is this poll a sparkle to start a flame war? Why to love a company, not a game? Company stands for business, developers stands for creativity and art and respect should go to them, imho. (nb: I’m not ranting)

Both companies have huge and important footprint in gaming history. For me it’s hard to put it into adventures-only frames and not see the bigger picture. Sierra’s Police Quest’s evolution brought us superb tactical shooters SWAT 3 & 4. LucasArts’s cancellations of Full Throttle, Sam&Max; etc sequels resulted the creation of Telltale. There are a lot of aspcts. Both companies’ games have put a lot of people on the scene, have inspired countless of games and gamers.

FFS dude you’re troubling your mind with too many questions.No it’s not intended to start a flame war,why would it?We all know that Sierra and Lucasarts were fantaaaaastic companies when it came to adventure games,but which one every one of you likes more or thinks is the best?What kind of questions are these man? “does it matter,why does it matter”....it’s a simple poll,if you don’t want to take part,just don’t but stop ranting because you ARE ranting.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Troubling my mind with too many questions? Maybe. Perhaps you are oversimplyfying? Depends on point of view, and probably there is no right or wrong approach. Smile Just imho putting LA and S to compete like that is… odd.

Anyway, I’m not sure we have a common ground to have a discussion if you can’t keep politeness nor make difference between ranting and looking things deeper. I’m moving on. Cheers! Smile

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Why can’t you understand that it’s a simple poll about people’s favorite companies?
The so many weird questions you asked make you look like a too much troubled person or a forum troll.

Lucasarts and Siera were two companies that produced some of the best adventure games ever during the golden age of the adventure games.They started franchises that people still now,after 20 years later love!

So many good games,so many good memories,it’s simple: Sierra or Lucasarts?

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

lol I think Iewuz is over analyzing. It’s just a fun poll. For me the answer is definitely Lucasarts. No adventure game for me has ever come close to their classics. I’ve never played through any games as often as the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle and Fate of Atlantis.

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I voted for Lucasarts too Smile They have created some awesome games,alas though I haven’t played Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis yet Meh

Monkey Island special edition blew my mind away,it was so much fun,so beautiful and so funny at the same time!Currently playing Sam and Max Hit the Road and I love that crazy psychotic rabbit thingy! Grin

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

lewuz - 25 October 2012 07:06 AM

For me it’s hard to put it into adventures-only frames and not see the bigger picture. Sierra’s Police Quest’s evolution brought us superb tactical shooters SWAT 3 & 4.

Ouch OuCh OUcH .....  OUCH..  Gasp

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

So I have to choose between two companies, both of which don’t exist anymore and haven’t made any adventure games for at least ten years. How about a poll with some existing and active companies?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I voted LucasArts, because their games (and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in particular) are what made me fall in love with the genre.
I still occasionally replay some most of their games (The Dig, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis, the Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango) simply because I love them so much.

Plus I’m a big fan of their “no deaths and no dead ends” approach to adventure gaming.
In comparison, Sierra’s games mostly frustrated me back in the day.

Even though Sierra is probably the more important company of the two, I’ve always been more of a LucasArts kind of adventure gamer…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll give another boring answer, but to me that’s like asking if I like to drink, or to eat more.

I’m a fan of both. It’s true that GK2 was my first adventure and I enjoy what Sierra did with the FMV trend. In that regard, they’re more diverse. But on the other side we have - Guybrush, Indy, Heavy metal, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also voted for Lucas Arts. I have yet to play a title of them that I don’t love!
Grim Fandango is still one of my favs of all time. Full Throttle, MI series, DotT, FoA etc are ALL of the greatest quality. While I do respect Sierra for the tons of titles they released (Unlike Lucas Arts, some of them were not up to the standards), I must say that most of their games are not to my taste (with the exception of GK1&2, and LSL1&7) while I still haven’t played any of the Quest Series (have to try them though). I also don’t like dead ends and lots of death in adventure games…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 25 October 2012 01:37 PM

I also voted for Lucas Arts. I have yet to play a title of them that I don’t love!

they are not that much anyways Tongue

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

for me its an easy question: sierra. Iv always found their games to be more “meaty” and challenging. Also i find they offer better serious stories in addition to some comedy. Grim fandango and day of the tentacle are both extremely excellent games, but theyr possibly the only 2 lucas arts games i really care for.

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Some say Lucasarts has more “childish” games than Sierra.they could use that arguement

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top