• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

how would we save exclusive Adventures of piracy ?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The modern ethos is that piracy is a service issue not a criminal issue. Which is to say that developers are starting to accept that people are always going to scab games and, therefore, the focus must be on working out a system where buying a game is more convenient than pirating. I think Good Old Games are a solution to this problem where you have cheap, DRM free software that you can pay for via PayPal and get straight into playing.

The more convenient the distribution the better. This is why I don’t like the idea of console exclusivity. Lots of indie game developers make the majority of their game’s budget back bundling their title in a Steam sale. Closing yourself off to that stream of revenue in order safeguard against piracy is a little extreme.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 21 October 2012 03:12 PM
Oscar - 21 October 2012 12:19 AM

Whenever someone asks that question it’s usually more about them having to pay while others don’t rather than “saving the industry”.

ok, i do not mind Questing motives .. it is always healthy,
but if i Told you that i can get my hands on that illegal copy of Lucius right away but i didn’t ... would you believe it?

Of course, I trust you Advie Smile

But we are talking about your friend. Would he have bought the game if it was not available for free?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I believe that better physical editions could be part of a solution. When I say better, I mean with better boxed editions, including heavy manuals, maps, figurines or whatever extra could be in. The general idea is that you pay not only for the game itself, but for all the goodies that come with it as well and cannot be pirated. I know that many people will still pirate a game because the game is the only thing they care about, but I strongly believe that the original sales will be increased as well. Of course, this is my opinion.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ll be completely honest, I download pirated games (so shoot me), EXCEPT I don’t pirate anything from independent games producers, and everything by Telltale. I will purchase Tex Murhpy when it comes out, I will purchase Mystery Game X, Broken Sword 5, and the walking dead (when the series is finished.

I know it’s not the best way to think but companies that release games on a mass scale (Bethesda, Valve, etc) they won’t be *too* bothered about my £40, whereas Revolution and Telltale might.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

I think especially adventure game piracy can be caused by the lack of proper digital distribution. There are many places where digital downloads can be bought, but most people only want to use 1 or 2 familiar digital distributors and some specific adventure game is rarely available in all places.

One of the reasons is probably different release dates in different regions. For example Gray Matter: long waited adventure, and it was released in Germany in November 2010 and months later in other countries. What the publisher was thinking? Probably nothing. Nowadays you seriously can’t wait that long to release a new game in different regions.

So my advices against piracy: release the game at the same time in all regions and try to get the game to as many digital distributors as possible, on the launch day. And simple “DRM-free” text is always awesome way to sell your game.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

dave_minall - 22 October 2012 04:11 AM

...I know it’s not the best way to think…

I never understand this argument (although I know a lot of people agree with you).

Companies of any size need income to survive and games are not a public service. In what way is it honest, fair or reasonable to take something that isn’t yours for free?

People often say, “but I only do it to the big bad companies, not the good guys” but what does this even mean? Surely if someone makes a game you want you might be pleased with them for making it and not want to see them deprived of earnings from it. I know that one £40 payment is not a lot to a big company, but the “what if everyone did it” arguments are obvious and valid.

Furthermore, this is not just about the size of a company, but about the honesty and integrity of those who do download pirate versions. Explain it how you like, it is still dishonest.

I know others will say, “I only get pirate versions of games (or other things) that I cannot get another way” due to region distribution problems or whatever, but personally I even disagree with this. Fien makes the good point of many people having a sense of entitlement with regards to things on the internet and I think she is right. If you cannot get the game for whatever reason then you cannot have it. Simple as that.

I’m sorry if it sounds like i’m singling you out Dave, you’re probably a really great guy, but it is this all too common attitude to piracy that I don’t understand or like, and not you personally.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Intense Degree - 22 October 2012 05:44 AM

I know others will say, “I only get pirate versions of games (or other things) that I cannot get another way” due to region distribution problems or whatever, but personally I even disagree with this. Fien makes the good point of many people having a sense of entitlement with regards to things on the internet and I think she is right. If you cannot get the game for whatever reason then you cannot have it. Simple as that.

I wouldn’t claim to speak for everyone, fans or developers. I’ve made a few small amateur games and even though I’ve never actually sold any, I’d rather they be played than not at all. That’s because for me, part of the reward is the joy of making something and letting others see it. That’s something piracy can’t take away. Actually, it enhances it. As long as developers remain passionate about their work (which in my opinion is the only way good games are made, certainly not just for $) adventure games won’t die.

But no, I don’t think it’s a simple issue at all. There are many sides, angles, points of view.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

You’re fine to flame me, as I said ‘so shoot me’ - I’m not of the correct mental attitude to consider going to my local store to buy a game that I can download for free in an hour. But as I said I’m more than willing to support the underdogs of the industry and pay for the games that they create.

Another post suggested that better physical formats would be the way forward, I would agree with this. I bought a copy of Crysis 1 for the PC an age ago, but only because it came in a very nice hard metal case with a design bible, soundtrack CD and collectible postcards. More of this kind of thing needs to exist in order to bring people like me back to buying mainstream big selling games.  Smile

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

dave_minall - 22 October 2012 07:21 AM

You’re fine to flame me, as I said ‘so shoot me’

He’s not flaming you.

I’m not of the correct mental attitude to consider going to my local store to buy a game that I can download for free in an hour.

That’s in direct contradiction with:

Another post suggested that better physical formats would be the way forward, I would agree with this.

You don’t have to go to your local store to pay for a download.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Fien I’m struggling to see your point.

What I said was, why should I go to a store to buy a game (unless I get more than just a CD, hence the mention of metal case/soundtrack etc) when I can download it pirated for free, in less than an hour?

I’m going to continue to pirate games made by large organisations, unless they make an effort to give me more for my £40 (by the way of OSTs, design bibles etc) then that won’t stop.

There was no contradiction there.

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

dave_minall - 22 October 2012 10:03 AM

I’m going to continue to pirate games made by large organisations, unless they make an effort to give me more for my £40 (by the way of OSTs, design bibles etc) then that won’t stop.

Maybe I need to remind you that we have a zero tolerance policy on pirating, so I would suggest you stop this line of discussion.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Last time I checked I wasn’t soliciting or promoting Piracy, as per the forum guidelines. I was providing an opinion as to why I do it.

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Yeah people around me want more value for money too, thats their complain and
they avoid games altogether, the same core issue is giving rise to small
cheap games and free to play games, the models are changing.

So many games and low value for high prices are big motivations to get
experience by other means or to avoid it altogether.

Adventure games are even more in trouble due to more lackluster efforts.
I don’t see the level of script , graphics, environment and other bits to
motivate me or give incentive to purchase or in most cases even try.

Well suited Price, Quality and Content can push people to support and buy the game.
People even buy and support soundtracks.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Easy to kill piracy,if you kill the pirates first Advie.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 22 October 2012 01:04 PM

Easy to kill piracy,if you kill the pirates first Advie.

you mean LeFlay and Lechuck ?

you Know Gabe i am just happy to hear anything from you Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top