• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Automatic note-taking

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Oscar - 29 August 2012 03:18 AM

What I’m not sure about is an automap for Myst style games. It would be useful, but some puzzles require you to figure out your position in relation to a switch or other area so those puzzles would be compromised.

how about this?
for mystlike games you could have a notebook sort of journal,you can take your own notes since there’s no need for conversations and you can also draw.

basically what you do in a physical notebook but as a journal component.

i realize people will object to it or think it useless when they like the physical approach

but it might be interesting to create it ingame.it gives the impression you really are an explorer and taking your own notes.

i guess it depends on how good the developer can make it but what do you think about the idea itself?

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I don’t mind having a journal of some kind as long as it doesn’t give you some clues right in your face and do all the job instead of you. Discworld Noir was a good example of a journal/notebook that has an active part of the gameplay. But I like narrative journals as well, like in TLJ, where its only purpose is to keep track of the basic story lines. Yeah, I remember that I found some of April’s comments quite silly, but it was a nice way to get into the story when I stopped playing the game for a while and had forgotten my process.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It is not that i’m outright against the log or narrative type of journals, its just that i wouldn’t like to rely on it.
One of the problems is that they can get quite extensive, so if you have missed or forgotten some vital information and haven’t made proper notes yourself, then it can take a lot of time to actually find the information, and with a build in journal it is easy to get sloppy and forget to take notes yourself.

Having the option to add notes youself in a build in notepad or journal, is not a bad idea. But it would have to be implemented in the right way, eg. the journal automatically transcripts your conversationes and gives you an option to attach notes to the conversation, the notes could then be used as a form of index, where you can click on your own note, to see the full conversation it is attached to.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yeah like the notes on pdf files…they act as bookmarks and you can see a list to jump to their location.

as far as the sloppy part goes….i think it’s a good compormise since it doesn’t hand everything to you.and since not everyone likes to play with a notebook (it is a game afterall) it’s good to have around.but for the sake of the hardcore fans there could be a setting turning it on and off.just like there are difficulties in games where the easier it is the more help and tips you get from tip systems and the more difficult the less extra huds and popups you get.

also for those who would like to map by themselves instead of having an automapper can get what they want.since mapping isn’t really a detailed job it is possible to just use a mouse and have some kind of map manager or one whole map in zoom so that it doesn’t take too much space in memory and if need be to be able to allocate more map.
of course if someone makes detailed maps then it’s the physical approach.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top