• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Am I the only one that is getting pis*ed off paying $100 for every special edition box on Kickstarter?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

VampireNaomi - 26 August 2012 09:42 AM

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The point of a pledge is to give money to the project that they can use to develop the game, not to get your money’s worth in rewards. Putting the collector’s box on a higher tier encourages people to pledge more.

This. Digital stuff is also much easier to distribute, so it saves time and money.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

The Digital Downladable games do make sense only if they are DRM free. Otherwise it’s like throwing money away. 100 USD for a Kickstarter Retail version is far too much. If the retail versions of the Kickstarter projects were priced at 30-40 USD I would have backed for all of them. But now that’s not the case. Respect to Infamous Quest for that.Things are clear. The crowd is the cow to milk….

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

In Broken Sword’s case, $100 for all the rewards you get is a steal.

I can understand wanting a physical copy of the game without spending $100, but that isn’t what Kickstarter is about. If you only want to spend $50, wait for the game to come out properly.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m just going to say what has been said a few times already:

VampireNaomi -

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The point of a pledge is to give money to the project that they can use to develop the game, not to get your money’s worth in rewards. Putting the collector’s box on a higher tier encourages people to pledge more.

^ This.

If you really want a collector’s box, and want it cheaper than that, you could always *not* pledge, and hope they get funded anyway, and then hope you can buy a collector’s box once the game gets released (if they decide on a boxed retail version and then on a special edition, that is, and this post by Kasper F. Nielsen suggests otherwise). A whole lot of ifs and a lot of hope there…

The whole concept of Kickstarter is that you’re helping them get the game made. These special edition boxed versions cost more, because they’re only there to provide more incentive to pledge a higher amount to their campaign (plus they cost a lot more to manufacture than a simple digital download)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well on one hand ,while you are helping them and pledging money it’s like you are a private funder in some way and you can’t really sell the finished product to a funder can you?on the other hand in adventure games with the goals they have and the number of people pledging it might just be like giving free half of your total sales after development Tongue(at least in some cases).

.anyways i too prefer the boxed versions.but kickstarter is more about development costs than distributing costs and that’s why they cost that much.if a project raises enough money to do everything else and more then maybe.or if a publisher shows up after the development’s finished to try and get into the game.

Also Tim….Kasper only mentioned BS5 but let’s clarify that this doesn’t mean other kickstarters will do the same.i know this thread was created after BS5 but it’s general so i thought it needed some clarification.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2005-05-28

PM

VampireNaomi - 26 August 2012 09:42 AM

This.
Therefore you shouldn’t be pissed off. Once a developer goes Kickstarter, obviously they really need as much support as they can. You might call it “rip off,” but I personally think it’s worth it if you really care for the project aka Broken Sword 5.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

guys it’s not just about BS5,BS5 is just the last case he is talking about.and in contrast to other kickstarters BS5’s 100$ are like buying things that cost 200$.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top