• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

OAK ISLAND - Some Treasures Are Best Left Buried

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

The Kickstarter was successfully funded, please keep checking back on this thread for further updates.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/visionaire-studio/oak-island-some-treasures-are-best-left-buried

The Mystery of Oak Island is a thrilling point & click adventure game for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android with a dark, gripping storyline that is based on the REAL, legendary treasure hunt on Oak Island - Nova Scotia, Canada. Our aim is to provide an intriguing story with challenging puzzles.

Have you ever heard of the Oak Island Mystery?

It is the fantastic, TRUE story about the legendary hunt for an infamous treasure of unimaginable value supposedly hidden somewhere deep under the surface of Oak Island, Canada.

The legend surrounding Oak Island started in 1795 when three men discovered a mysterious stone containing hieroglyphs and indications of a fabulous treasure. An incredible, centuries-long treasure hunt began. But all they found were dead ends, elaborate traps, insanity or even their own demise. To date, six treasure hunters have died on Oak Island due to unexplained circumstances.

Based the legends surrounding the island, we wrote a dramatic and thrilling story. By chance, you get sucked into the ominous tale of Oak Island, and you seek the help of your girlfriend, who is a student of literature at Oxford University. Together you begin to uncover the secrets of Oak Island, and in doing so, put yourselves in grave danger.

Oak Island will not divulge its secrets without sacrifice. You’re not the only one who vies for the hidden secrets, besieged by horrific traps and terrifying guards. Will you defy all these dangers? And will it be the beginning of a new chapter - or the end of life as you know it? Consider that…“Some treasures are best left buried!”

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

Nice to see this back again, I supported it the first time and was disappointed because it didn’t make it.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I think I’ll back it this time round, but the rewards seem weird.
So I either get just an episode for the same pledge or the whole game?
I’d gladly pay a bit more to get the whole game and I’m not too interested in getting just one episode.
I guess that’s the problem with having such a low entry goal.
For the moment I’ll wait and see where things go.

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

The initial goal is for the initial episode, the futhrer stretch goals will allow the rest of the episodes to be made. However if they only get enough for 1 episode it is very likely the proceeds froms aid episode will pay for the further episodes. So I am quite optimistic we shall got the full thing. Looks like it is trending well at the moment too. Raised quite a bit and its day 1.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i was wondering how developers can maintain great cutscenes as those, but yet can not make the avatar walk properly ?

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

There is very little character animation in the cutscenes and the stuttering of the walk animation might be a programming problem.

@Dean&Kate; So you’re saying any backer will get the full game, even if they have tho finish it with their own money?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

are you saying that the character walks properly? because i had seen him skew walking without changing direction, and still facing west.

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

No, I’m saying we don’t see any major character animation in the cutscenes, so we can’t tell if they have good animators or not.
And what you’re describing is most likely related to programming and the fact that they use a 2D engine. Maybe they added 3D support, but that would be news for me.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2005-05-09

PM

Hi there,
I am Marvel, game designer of Oak Island! I’m glad to answer your questions.

As you may have heard, we work in the adventure game genre for many years, starting in 2001 with the first version of our game Engine “Visionaire Studio”. By that time the adventure game genre was pretty dead… and we, as passionate fans of the genre,  needed to do something.

As a hobby we started the work on “Zak McKracken between time and space” and finished the game in 2008. It became one of the very best adventure games, made by fans. Yesterday we’ve released the fully english voiced version of the game. You can download this game for free on http://www.mckracken.net

In the meantime we pretty much increased our game engine and helped start-up companies like daedalic entertainment with the creation of their games (deponia, night of the rabbit, the whispered world, memoria and many more). Today, Visionaire Studio is one of the best engines for this genre and even powers games like STASIS (3D isometric look).

To your specific questions:

1) Person Animations
We want to take care that the game will be a great, classic adventure game. For that we want to provide challenging puzzles, several playable characters and a thrilling story. This is what we’re focussing on at the moment. Gamedesign and characters will improve with the development process. So everything you see in the presentation is still “at work” and not polished. We even could use 3D Persons for the game or change the character animations entirely with the improvements of the game engine.

2) Funding
I’m pretty sure we will achieve full funding of all three episodes. If we don’t, our plan is to publish the first episode separately and raise the missing budget. But in any case, the backers will get their <COMPLETE> adventure game including all chapters of the game.

Please ask if you have more questions Smile

Best,
Marvel

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks Marvel for your reply, i don’t think this Character animation thing need a call for 3D; eight character-direction-design instead of four would do the trick.

good luck.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I’ve always wondered - does this game has any connection with Animation Arts now-dead initiative Columbus 4 Der Fluch von Oak Island? I doubt many of you remember or know of it, so:
http://www.animationarts.de/sites/games/Columbus4_01_info.html
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28450

It seemed to share quite a few things beside topic (episodic aproach, multiple playable characters, made in Germany) so I thought that maybe same guys are behind it after jumping ship, or some assets were sold by AA, or as AA dropped ball other team just used the oportunity to use the theme… Or MAYBE simialar projects are just matter of coincidence. Smile
Maybe I could also get the answer by googleing it, but thought I could as well post it here. Smile

Joined 2005-05-09

PM

Advie - 12 May 2015 09:18 PM

good luck.

Thanks! Smile And I love your Avatar, Advie… Grin

Joined 2005-05-09

PM

lewuz - 13 May 2015 06:16 AM

Or MAYBE simialar projects are just matter of coincidence. Smile

I think it’s just a coincidence. But the “Oak Island” story needs to be told! Smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/visionaire-studio/oak-island-some-treasures-are-best-left-buried

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

@Marvel:

Many thanks for clearing that up!

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

Thanks for joining in the discussion and answering questions marvel! Always great to see devs that care about the community!

Joined 2005-05-09

PM

Here are some nice articles about the game and the campaign on kickstarter! Smile

http://retroinvaders.com/en/61245/the-mystery-of-oak-island-a-thrilling-adventure-kickstarter-from-the-creators-of-zak-mckracken-between-time-and-space

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/05/the-mystery-of-oak-island-thrilling.html

BTW: All is developing very well and we’ve hit the 10.000€ mark. Thank you very much for your GREAT support on this! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top