• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 20 August 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And we conclude Seven Days of Lovecraft with what it is indisputably the best Lovecraftian game—and with a cameo by the man himself. Shadow of the Comet is just great. Play it. Play it today. Play it now.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Thanks Kuru, great work on the Lovecraft series! Smile

In addition, if anyone wants an excellent Lovecraft-influenced text adventure, Anchorhead is top notch stuff and can even be played free online here.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I want to play Anchorhead some day. Smile There’s also Infocom’s Lurking Horror. Short but very nice.

EDIT: Wait, I did play Anchorhead! I didn’t finish it though.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 20 August 2012 11:41 AM

I want to play Anchorhead some day. Smile There’s also Infocom’s Lurking Horror. Short but very nice.

EDIT: Wait, I did play Anchorhead! I didn’t finish it though.

Heh, I’m the same with Lurking Horror. I really should give it another shot one day. I remember loving the spooky sound effects Smile

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I’ve started playing Anchorhead, to get a break from my annoying Space Bar problems. Great atmosphere. I’m determined to finish it this time.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks to Oscar, I finished Anchorhead a few minutes ago. What a game! Not for the sqeamish, some descriptions are rather graphic, but I’m not into Lovecraft and I enjoyed it. A really good classic text adventure. Great story, great writing, great atmosphere, easy puzzles for the most part. To my surprise I didn’t run into any dead ends. Some puzzles have more than one solution.

Of course Anchorhead is not flawless. I was stuck once because I searched something but didn’t look in it. Another time I was stuck because I looked in something but didn’t search it. Frown Day 3 refused to end and when I consulted a walkthrough it turned out I’d done everything I should have done. I retraced my steps and all of a sudden the day ended. Huh?

Highly recommended for people who are familiar with text adventures. Smile

PS: There’s also a very nice reference to Curses, another non-commercial text adventure and one of my favorites. The comment of the shop owner when you ask him about the Tarot cards: “Mmm, yes, a rare piece of work. The cards are actually very delicate, thinly sliced ivory. Almost transparent. The box is walnut.” He leans toward you, offering you a salesman’s conspiratorial wink. “They say,” he whispers, “that this very deck was used and endorsed by the infamous medium—” he frowns. “Not Blavatski; the other one. What was her name? Anyway, it is said that by shining a light through the cards and projecting the image onto a wall, you may open gateways to other worlds. Frankly, I don’t buy it.”

Okay, and now for something more cheerful… the Space Bar!

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top