• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games Like Gabriel Knight

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

So I was thinking the other day about how much I enjoyed the Gabriel Knight series, and was wondering if there were others like it.  Any suggestions would be great, I’d prefer it not to be a straight up comedy game, but I’m not saying it can’t be either.

P.S. Did the site change?  I haven’t been on in a long while, and it seems different.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

The Black Mirror series is similar in terms of gothic style and dark storylines.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

The Blackwell series by Wadjet Eye games was strongly inspired by GK, particularly GK1.

The freeware Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator series has a lot of similarities to GK, but it’s more on the comedy side.

Yoomurjak’s Ring might be for you, if you’re looking for something more like GK2: Beast Within. It’s less dark though. For darker (but also very difficult and puzzle-based) FMV adventure rooted in real world events and myths try Black Dahlia.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Thanks guys!  Just one more question was A Vampyre Story any good?  I keep seeing it fairly cheap and if it was I’ll probably pick it up.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Have you played gray matter? (made by the GK designer)
Its not as good, but it is fun, and it has its moments of that “gk magic”

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

[toj.cc]Phantom - 22 July 2012 10:27 PM

So I was thinking the other day about how much I enjoyed the Gabriel Knight series, and was wondering if there were others like it.  Any suggestions would be great, I’d prefer it not to be a straight up comedy game, but I’m not saying it can’t be either.

P.S. Did the site change?  I haven’t been on in a long while, and it seems different.

You asking for more paranormal investigation ags right,first Lost Crown,C.O.M. and
Secret Files series will do.

P.S: Yes it’s changed for goo..

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Shadow of the Comet.

Ascovel - 22 July 2012 11:41 PM

Yoomurjak’s Ring might be for you, if you’re looking for something more like GK2: Beast Within. It’s less dark though.

Now that you mention it, it is similar. A more intrepid, less brooding protagonist but many of the elements are the same.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

[toj.cc]Phantom - 22 July 2012 11:57 PM

Thanks guys!  Just one more question was A Vampyre Story any good?

Depends on what you’re looking for.

AVS is mostly a light comedy. Monkey Island style, but in horror land. The locations are wonderfully drawn and are a pleasure to visit.

It was meant to be the first part of a larger series that never happened, so it just ends on a cliffhanger and with most of the plotlines still running. Quite a disappointment.

The target audience are fans of old comedy adventure games - it might be difficult to get into its style, if you’re not. So I’d recommend playing through the Monkey Island series first, or one of the other LucasArts classics, if you still haven’t tried those.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Ascovel - 23 July 2012 09:59 AM
[toj.cc]Phantom - 22 July 2012 11:57 PM

Thanks guys!  Just one more question was A Vampyre Story any good?

Depends on what you’re looking for.

AVS is almost a light comedy. Monkey Island style, but in horror land. The locations are wonderful drawn and are a pleasure to visit.

It was meant to be the first part of series that never happened, so it just ends on a cliffhanger and with most of the plotlines still running. Quite a disappointment.

The target audience are fans of old comedy adventure games - it might be difficult to get into its style, if you’re not. So I’d recommend playing through the Monkey Island series first, or one of the other LucasArts classics, if you still haven’t tried those.

I actually enjoy all types of adventure games, but I haven’t played very many like the GK series.  Monkey Island, DOTT and Sam and Max were some of the very first I ever played and are still some of my favorites.

Disappointed about the Vampyre Story series not continuing,  I have a hard time playing games/reading books/watching movies/tv if it isn’t the first in a series or if I know the series was cancled without closing up plot stuff.

~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top