• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I’m Overwhelmed! :(

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

My very sweet fiance has been sending me a lot of Steam Gifts but now I don’t know which game to start with!  Foot in mouth

Any suggestions?

Here is the list -

Alter Ego
Back to the Future
Ben There, Dan That!
Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel
Dear Esther
The Dig
The Dream Machine
Dreamfall
Gemini Rue
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
L.A. Noire
Loom
Machinarium
Manhole
Mata Hari
Post Mortem
Riven (and the rest of the Myst games after)
Scratches
Stacking
Syberia 2
The Tiny Bang Story
The Walking Dead
Yesterday

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hm, and you havnt played any of them? How about starting with machinarium? Its a very charming game, it doesnt take long to finish, and its quite fun. Its a bit on the challenging side, but also provides lots of hints.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great list ,so variable and great titles included that makes it VERY hard to chose one.only…unless (maybe) if you had mentioned like 3-4 titles of your previously Favorited/played Ones!

but as looking at the list which i luckily played All except The Tiny Bang Story.
i can classify it//them like that:-

retros styled classics :
The Dig
Gemini Rue
Loom

not new but(classics) mustn’t be missed:
Syberia 2
Dreamfall
Riven

the most Modern Ones and Must try:
Machinarium
L.A. Noire
Stacking

and at last you can stay away of those imo regrettable title/experiences:
Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel
Manhole

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Me too, Nelza. Me too. I look at the games I have yet to play, yet I can’t muster the energy to really commit to them.

It’s funny, when I was young I felt like I didn’t have enough games to keep me occupied. Now I have the games but not the time or dedication.

Sigh.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 22 July 2012 04:45 AM

Me too, Nelza. Me too. I look at the games I have yet to play, yet I can’t muster the energy to really commit to them.

It’s funny, when I was young I felt like I didn’t have enough games to keep me occupied. Now I have the games but not the time or dedication.

Sigh.

come on im8#2 most of these game are kinda old that you should had have the chance to play them ..Plus that 80% (almost) of them are well knowing too (famous and essential) for any adventurer dont you think?

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

My favorites on there are Scratches (if you like horror) and The Dig. Oh and tell your boyfriend to gift you Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It’s so much better than the Last Crusade Smile

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Advie - 22 July 2012 05:26 AM

Sigh.

come on im8#2 most of these game are kinda old that you should had have the chance to play them ..Plus that 80% (almost) of them are well knowing too (famous and essential) for any adventurer dont you think?

I’ve played most of the classics. It’s more the keeping up with new games that’s difficult. Even this year there are 7-8 major adventure titles so far.

I don’t deserve my adventurer cap.  Frown

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh - I’d start with “Dreamfall” myself - however all the games on that list are very good. Syberia 2 is a great game to start with also. I’ve got to replay that one.

Grin

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yesterday and Alter Ego are quite short and atmospheric games so they can be played “quickly out of the way”. Loom is also rather short and a great classic.

Otherwise I’d go for Dreamfall or Gemini Rue.

L.A. Noire is great but it will keep you occupied forever Smile.

And I completely understand inm8#2. I wish my list was even close to this short Grin. I love games and I can’t stop buying them but I just don’t have enough time to play them all. And then other people are complaining how there isn’t enough good games. What are they on? Wink

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally i would start with Dreamfall, and then go for The Dig.
But it really depends on what kind of games you prefeer.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Dreamfall hands down. It’s the best game in the pile imo.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

I would start with Loom, a short game but with a very special gameplay, a true classic. It was actually the first ever adventure game I played so I have a soft spot for it.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Many good games in this list. Of course Riven is the best of them all (and considered possibly the best in the entire genre), but it is too hard and big to start with.

Don’t go with Dreamfall or TWD if you don’t like very easy or non-traditional adventure games (They are good games however…). Also don’t go with Dreamfall if you haven’t played TLJ first, or you will miss important parts of the storyline.

Machinarium and Syberia 2 are also easy to finish, but more traditional adventure games and highly reccomended.

Scratches, The Dig, Loom and Gemini Rue are also great, and a little harder to finish.

The choice is yours!! Smile

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nelza - 21 July 2012 11:16 PM

Any suggestions?

If you liked MYST then Riven et al are a go. If not scratch those.

If you like film noire, Post Mortem, Gemeni Rue and LA Noire are definite plays.

Many of the games are old enough that you might need an add-on to get them to run. Dig is an example.

Syberia 2 is great, but I really think you have to play Syberia 1 first in order to understand what is going on.

There is one game on your list, Scratches, that has received rave reviews, but I have never been able to get to run on any PC.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Wow!  So many suggestions!  I think I’m still overwhelmed! Tongue

zane - 21 July 2012 11:21 PM

hm, and you havnt played any of them? How about starting with machinarium? Its a very charming game, it doesnt take long to finish, and its quite fun. Its a bit on the challenging side, but also provides lots of hints.

Zane, I did have a little go at Machinarium a couple of months ago, I love the look of it! Grin I think I will start with this one!

Advie - 22 July 2012 03:40 AM

Great list ,so variable and great titles included that makes it VERY hard to chose one.only…unless (maybe) if you had mentioned like 3-4 titles of your previously Favorited/played Ones!

but as looking at the list which i luckily played All except The Tiny Bang Story.
i can classify it//them like that:-

retros styled classics :
The Dig
Gemini Rue
Loom

not new but(classics) mustn’t be missed:
Syberia 2
Dreamfall
Riven

the most Modern Ones and Must try:
Machinarium
L.A. Noire
Stacking

and at last you can stay away of those imo regrettable title/experiences:
Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel
Manhole

You’re right Advie, I should’ve mentioned some of my favourites.  I tend to like all types of adventures though and am not put off by dated graphics/difficult controls/pixel hunting/etc.  I like that you put down your regrettable titles… I think I shall save them ‘til last (if I manage to get that far).  Tongue

Sigh.

I know, first world problems hey Inm8?  I can’t seem to stop buying games but I think I’ve only completed three this year…  Meh

Schneckchen ^.^ - 22 July 2012 06:14 AM

My favorites on there are Scratches (if you like horror) and The Dig. Oh and tell your boyfriend to gift you Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It’s so much better than the Last Crusade Smile

I do like horror games!  I absolutely LOVE ‘The Fate of Atlantis’!  I’ve owned a couple of copies since I was a kid.  I just haven’t gotten round to playing ‘The Last Crusade’ because I know it’s not going to be as good.  Cry

Mikekelly - 22 July 2012 10:14 AM

Oh - I’d start with “Dreamfall” myself - however all the games on that list are very good. Syberia 2 is a great game to start with also. I’ve got to replay that one.

Grin

I loved ‘The Longest Journey’ so have been looking forward to finally playing ‘Dreamfall’.  I might play it on the PC with an XBox controller as I’ve heard about the terrible combat controls.  Thumbs Up

millenia - 22 July 2012 10:36 AM

Yesterday and Alter Ego are quite short and atmospheric games so they can be played “quickly out of the way”. Loom is also rather short and a great classic.

Otherwise I’d go for Dreamfall or Gemini Rue.

L.A. Noire is great but it will keep you occupied forever Smile.

And I completely understand inm8#2. I wish my list was even close to this short Grin. I love games and I can’t stop buying them but I just don’t have enough time to play them all. And then other people are complaining how there isn’t enough good games. What are they on? Wink

That’s a good idea Millenia - Playing the shorter games first!  I like the idea of striking games off of the list quickly!  Wink

Iznogood - 22 July 2012 11:15 AM

Personally i would start with Dreamfall, and then go for The Dig.
But it really depends on what kind of games you prefeer.

I do think I’ll get into these games Izno.  Smile I’m a huge Lucasarts fan as well!  I should’ve played ‘The Dig’ years ago!

gray pierce - 22 July 2012 11:39 AM

Dreamfall hands down. It’s the best game in the pile imo.

Another vote for Dreamfall!  I didn’t realise how many people love this game!  I’ve heard so many mixed things.  Tongue

Ingsoc - 22 July 2012 11:48 AM

I would start with Loom, a short game but with a very special gameplay, a true classic. It was actually the first ever adventure game I played so I have a soft spot for it.

I’ve heard good things about it too!  Another one I’ve been meaning to play ever since I played Monkey Island.  Wink

Sefir - 22 July 2012 11:57 AM

Many good games in this list. Of course Riven is the best of them all (and considered possibly the best in the entire genre), but it is too hard and big to start with.

Don’t go with Dreamfall or TWD if you don’t like very easy or non-traditional adventure games (They are good games however…). Also don’t go with Dreamfall if you haven’t played TLJ first, or you will miss important parts of the storyline.

Machinarium and Syberia 2 are also easy to finish, but more traditional adventure games and highly reccomended.

Scratches, The Dig, Loom and Gemini Rue are also great, and a little harder to finish.

The choice is yours!! Smile

Thank you Sefir! I loved Myst when I first played it not long after it was first released. I’m definitely looking forward to spending some time on Riven.  ‘Heavy Rain’ is one of my favourite non-traditional adventures so I won’t have any problems with Dreamfall or TWD.  Smile

rtrooney - 23 July 2012 12:14 AM
Nelza - 21 July 2012 11:16 PM

Many of the games are old enough that you might need an add-on to get them to run. Dig is an example.

Syberia 2 is great, but I really think you have to play Syberia 1 first in order to understand what is going on.

There is one game on your list, Scratches, that has received rave reviews, but I have never been able to get to run on any PC.

That’s what I love about Gog and Steam.  All the games run so smoothly on my machine. I hope ‘Scratches’ will too.

Thank you everyone!!!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Dreamfall might indeed be better with a game pad but it was decent enough when I fiddled with the settings. Inverted mouse and reduced the sensitivity and stuff. One was able to turn it to a rather regular WASD-controlled game. The fighting is still a bit clumsy but luckily it is not required so often, sneaking and running away are good options Smile.

Rtooney grouped up the “noir” games and he is right, I really love the setting and atmosphere of Post Mortem, Gemini Rue and L.A. Noire. I’m a sucker for noir stories, Discworld Noir is my favourite game Smile. They all also have quite sexy and charismatic leading male protagonists Wink.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top