• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Looking for advice on what to play next

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-07-18

PM

I’m relatively new to the adventure genre, and I’ve already played the some of the more well known adventure games.  I’m looking for suggestions on what I should check out next.  I’m looking for a compelling story.  I would prefer something with some sort of mystery.  I don’t care too much about the graphics unless they are really outdated.  I’ll take all suggestions.  Thanks!

Here is what I have all played so far:

Amnesia
Penumbra Trilogy
Broken Sword Trilogy (I haven’t played the fourth one.  Is it worth playing?)
The Longest Journey (I’ve heard the second one isn’t worth playing.)
Monkey Island 1 and 2
Syberia 1 and 2

I’ve been considering checking out these games.  How is the story?
Still Life 1 and 2
Scratches
Gabriel Knight Trilogy

Edit: I forgot to mention if possible please include a rough estimate on how long the game is.  I’d like to play shorter games first and the longer ones when I have more time.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“compelling story” and “mystery” are practically synonyms with Gabriel Knight. Also, I didn’t quite catch it, did you play first 3 Broken Swords? And you should definitely play The Longest Journey as well.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-07-18

PM

I’ve played the first three Broken Sword games.  I bought the trilogy pack from Steam.  I’ll go ahead and pick up the first Gabriel Knight game from GoG then.  I’ve also played The Longest Journey. Unless you are talking about Dreamfall?  I haven’t played that one.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Goat Warlord - 18 July 2012 08:38 PM

I’ve played the first three Broken Sword games.  I bought the trilogy pack from Steam.  I’ll go ahead and pick up the first Gabriel Knight game from GoG then.  I’ve also played The Longest Journey. Unless you are talking about Dreamfall?  I haven’t played that one.

No, I was talking about the first The Longest Journey. As for Gabriel Knight, you can’t go wrong - I’ve played the second one first, and I would suggest to you the same since you mentioned outdated graphics. If you like it, you can then go to play the original.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Definitely check out Resonance. It’s a new game but it’s made to look retro. The graphics really aren’t that bad.

Diego, I’m in the same boat as Goat concerning Gabriel Knight. Is it easy to get into GK2 without knowing the story of the first one?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The fourth Broken Sword is really, really bad. I wouldn’t pick it up if I were you. Not to say that it doesn’t have its fans, but personally I find it to be one of the worst sequels - if not the worst - ever made. A gigantic and utter disappointment.

EDIT: Oh and the third Monkey Island (Curse of Monkey Island) is fantastic - my personal favorite of the series. The fourth is atrocious though, at least when it comes to the graphics where it’s got some of the worst 3D models you’ll ever encounter, which really ruins the overall feel of the game. Moving on from that Takes from Monkey Island (the fifth game) is an episodic and recent game with a lot of fans. It’s okay, but not as good as the first three.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

zenkmander - 18 July 2012 09:34 PM

Definitely check out Resonance. It’s a new game but it’s made to look retro. The graphics really aren’t that bad.
Diego, I’m in the same boat as Goat concerning Gabriel Knight. Is it easy to get into GK2 without knowing the story of the first one?

Actually there is no problem at all getting into the story of GK2 without knowing the story of the first one. However if you don’t mind the graphics of Resonance, you will have no problem at all with the graphics of GK1 which are of a similar quality (though at their time they were cutting edge).

Goat Warlord - 18 July 2012 08:09 PM

I’m looking for suggestions on what I should check out next.  I’m looking for a compelling story…
...The Longest Journey (I’ve heard the second one isn’t worth playing.)...
...I’ve been considering checking out these games.  How is the story?
Still Life 1 and 2
Scratches
Gabriel Knight Trilogy

Dreamfall is definitely worth playing with an amazing and emotional storyline but it’s only the first half of a story that was never finished, meaning it ends when things start to get really interesting and on a very brutal cliffhanger, that leaves most main characters in peril and/or dead. If you don’t mind that you should give it a try.

Both Still Life games, Scratches and all Gabriel Knight games have very interesting storylines. They are also relatively long games.

Other recommendations:
Tex Murphy series: FMV, great stories, long games, graphics are still acceptable
Grim Fandago: great game, long, graphics still look good
A new beginning: good story, medium length, good graphics
Sanitarium: very good story, medium length
Black Mirror series: good story, long games, very good graphics
Runaway series: good story, game length varies between medium and really long, pretty graphics (except for the first game where they do look a bit antiquated but still rather good)
The next big thing: fun story, amazing graphics, rather short
Yesterday: interesting story, amazing graphics, VERY short.
Sam and Max series: amazing fun, excellent graphics (especially the third season), long games
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper: boring first half, but then picks up amazingly and ends up having a very exiting story, very good graphics, long game.
Gemini Rue: Great and clever story, retro-style graphics, rather short.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

I’ll second zenkmander and Kasper’s suggestions. Resonance is a brilliant new adventure with a compelling plot involving a bit of a murder mystery. At $10, it’s an absolute steal. I advise playing it immediately. If you liked Monkey Island 1 and 2, definitely play The Curse of Monkey Island. It’s great. I love the artwork and the goofy characters and puzzles. It’s at the top of my replay list right now. I’m not sure it’s my favorite, though. I can’t really pick a favorite out of the three Monkey Island games; they’re each so perfect in their own way. (I try to pretend Escape never happened.)

In addition, you need to play Grim Fandango. It’s generally considered one of the best, if not the best adventure game, and it has a noir-inspired mystery plot with lots of humor. The Dig is a more serious game and also a bit of a mystery. It’s darker than LucasArts’ other adventures. Being a Lucasarts fanboy, I also have to recommend Full Throttle. It’s a little bit short, but entirely amazing.

Finally, If you have any interest in first-person, puzzle-oriented adventures, the Myst games are an obvious must. They’re classics for a reason. If the challenge is daunting, you could start with Myst 3: Exile. I think it’s the easiest of the first 4 (until the very last puzzle, which is brutal). Riven is much larger and more challenging than Myst 1 and 3, but also considered one of the best games ever.

-driver8

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I highly recommend Overclocked - A History of Violence. It’s a psychological mystery thriller with a very good, deep and moving storylining and fantastically well developed characters.

Also this has been mentioned but Dreamfall is very much worth your while. It’s beautiful, deep en emtional and yes it end rather abruptly but it’s still very much worth playing.

BS4 on the other hand I would stay away from. Huge dissapointment.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

I’d reccomend Lost Horizon & Gray Matter. They are two of the best adventures i’ve played for a while.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Dreamfall (the sequel to The Longest Journey) is a lot different that its predecessor and not everyone likes it, but for the record I loved it!

For you I recommend Still Life 1 (the second one was absolutely awful, in my opinion), and the Gabriel Knight trilogy. I enjoyed Scratches, too, but I’m not sure if it’s exactly what you are looking for.

I see others have recommended Overclocked, the Black Mirror trilogy and Gray Matter, which I think are worth your while too. And I’d like to add Next Life.

Have fun!

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

For game lengths, check out HowLongtoBeat.com. It’s a great resource, although a little thin on adventure game playthroughs compared with other genres. More people from here using it could help fix that, though.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Awesome resource driver8, thanks!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Great suggestions here already, especially from driver8 and J-Boo.

Castledoque also mentioned Tex Murphy games and Yesterday. The latter is quite short indeed but I loved the story and the atmosphere of the game. Tex Murphy games then are very long but brilliant and funny.

And to add the compulsory Discworld Noir!

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-07-18

PM

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.  Most of them look like something I would be definitely interested in.  Some of the games listed here aren’t available for purchase on Steam or GoG.  Where can I find them digitally to purchase or do I need to purchase them as a hard copy?  I have a Windows 7 64-bit operating system so I’m not sure what games I would all be able to play if they aren’t from Steam or GoG.  Is there anyway I can find this out without purchasing a hard copy of the game to find out I can play it?

Edit: I picked up both of the Still Life games for cheap on Steam.  Why exactly is the second one so much worse than the first one?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top