• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Half a year of Adventures (2012)

Poll: which was your real Joy?
Total Votes: 47
The Walking Dead: Episodes
Deponia
Resonance
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
The Journey Down: Chapter One
Botanicula
Yesterday
Space Quest: Incinerations
Dear Esther
The Ballads of Reemus: When the Bed Bites
J.U.L.I.A.
NOT MENTIONED !

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The only one i’ve played it The Walking Dead so I abstain from this vote.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Isn’t it possible to see the votes without voting?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 15 July 2012 10:56 AM

Isn’t it possible to see the votes without voting?

You can look at the thread while logged out. Or wait until the Expression Engine people decide to bring their crappy software into the 21st century.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i see Oscar had mentioned Amber’s Blood and Corrosion: Cold Winter and PsychoGoatee mentioned Vohual Strikes Back but did you guys really had chosen Not Mentioned or that was it just a matter of Speech?

i am curious to know what i missed and Would (Please) like to know from the 4 who Voted for not mentioned what is title they would have voted-for/found !

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 16 July 2012 09:21 AM

i am curious to know what i missed and Would (Please) like to know from the 4 who Voted for not mentioned what is title they would have voted-for/found !

I did. My pick is Amber’s Blood.
Thanks for doing this by the way Advie, I think it’s a very good idea! Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I haven’t played any of these games, but some of them (as well as some others mentioned in this thread) are on my list of games to play.

In the order that I’ll get to them (possibly in 2014 at the rate I’m going Tongue):
- Botanicula
- Donna: Avenger of Blood
- Resonance
- The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
- Deponia
- The Walking Dead (I’ll wait for the full season)
- The Journey Down (I’ll wait for the full season)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

One game that was not at all on my radar before it was released but which I was very impressed by was ‘The sea Will claim Everything’. I think it is a fantastic example of what you can do as an indie, and nearly lone developer, without resorting to ugly, retro pixel graphics if you don’t have the means to create a game with the latest graphical technology. Pixel art will never be more attractive than hand drawn art. I’m a child of the 80s but I refuse to let nostalgia blind me to the fact that these kinds of graphics are ugly and their obsolescense something to be welcomed. I’ve gotten to the point where I won’t touch these games like Gemini Rue or Resonance, no matter how lauded the stories may be. They hurt my eyes and offend my aesthetic taste on every level. So that was a fantastic discovery for me. Wonderful, beautiful, creative game.

Actually, it’s been a good year so far: Botanicula was an incredible piece of work, and I really enjoyed J.U.L.I.A too. ad most of the games I was really looking forward to this year are still to come.

There have been a couple of disappointments though: I had been keeping an eye on ‘cold Winter Waiting’ as a big fan of horror adventures, and was crushingly disappointed by it. Adventure Gamers tore it apart in their review and quite rightly. The other disappointment has been ‘Phobos’, as it was formerly known, and now ‘KGB Unleashed’ as it was more senationally known on release. Whilst not being a classic, ‘Sublustrum’or ‘Outcry’ had a lot of interesting element s to it, so i wasn’t prepared for what a mess this game was going to be. Graphics and sound were fine but they got every aspect of the gameplay wrong and the story was underwhelming to say the least. And frankly, it seemed like they ran out of money or time because not only wa sit very short, the ending seemed contrived, as if not originally planned there.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Thanks for mentioning Donna, TimovieMan! I remember reading about it many moons ago on the AGS forums. It seemed like one of those projects that might never get finished. I’m glad it made it. Might take a look.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-07-08

PM

cbman - 16 July 2012 07:03 PM

The other disappointment has been ‘Phobos’, as it was formerly known, and now ‘KGB Unleashed’ as it was more senationally known on release. Whilst not being a classic, ‘Sublustrum’or ‘Outcry’ had a lot of interesting element s to it, so i wasn’t prepared for what a mess this game was going to be. Graphics and sound were fine but they got every aspect of the gameplay wrong and the story was underwhelming to say the least. And frankly, it seemed like they ran out of money or time because not only wa sit very short, the ending seemed contrived, as if not originally planned there.

Sorry to hear that. It looked like it had the potential to be really interesting. Solving Myst-style puzzles while being haunted by ghosts of the KGB? Awesome. I had been planning on checking it out, so thanks for the warning.

On the subject of this thread, I loved Resonance. I was a fan of The Dig back in the day, and I think Resonance compares favorably with it. The STM/LTM mechanic was very cool, and I can’t believe it hasn’t been done before in an adventure game. I hope to see more of it in the future. I won’t comment on the plot, because I think the less you know going in, the better.

The Walking Dead Episode One had a really engaging narrative, but it was light on gameplay and super easy. It’s hard to compare it with “real” adventure games. Maybe Episode Two is a bit different.

Now I’m playing Deponia. So far, it’s wonderful. Many aspects bring Monkey Island to mind. Enough said. It’s really been a great year for adventure games—and it’s only half over. Smile

-driver8

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Advie - 15 July 2012 06:03 AM

Edit:  Botanicula is not an Independent Financed Game (i guess i am mistaken )

Amanita both designed and financed Botanicula. Amanita decides what games they’re making, how they will sell them, etcetera. So yes, Botanicula is certainly an indie game.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Fien - 17 July 2012 03:49 AM
Advie - 15 July 2012 06:03 AM

Edit:  Botanicula is not an Independent Financed Game (i guess i am mistaken )

Amanita both designed and financed Botanicula. Amanita decides what games they’re making, how they will sell them, etcetera. So yes, Botanicula is certainly an indie game.

and its strange how the term Indie have changed in the past years and how those Independent developers are able produce such qualities greater than established’s ones.

Thanks Fien

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Alright, I admit it, I voted for my own game.  But releasing Resonance really was my “real joy” of the year so far!

I also loved Walking Dead Ep 1.  (I have yet to play 2, but hear it’s even better.)  And I’ve played about half of both Botanicula and The Journey Down and have loved both.  I just need to find the time to finish them!

I’ve also got Dear Esther purchased and ready to play, but haven’t had a chance yet.  And some of these others look amazing.  It’s been a great year so far!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Dark Eye and Resonance are by far the two best IMO.
But i also quite liked Ballads of Remus and The Journey Down

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ozzie - 16 July 2012 11:35 PM

Thanks for mentioning Donna, TimovieMan! I remember reading about it many moons ago on the AGS forums. It seemed like one of those projects that might never get finished. I’m glad it made it. Might take a look.

I wasn’t the first to mention it in this thread…  Wink

zane - 14 July 2012 11:55 PM

iv played about half of these games. I havnt played resonance or deponia which i expect big things from. But if i had to declare a victor today, oddly enough i would choose a freeware game: donna avenger of blood. It is quirky to say the least, and has lots of potential to offend people.. but it is a full length game, with great puzzle design and has an immersive story.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 17 July 2012 03:18 PM

I wasn’t the first to mention it in this thread…  Wink

No, but the first to make me curious enough to google it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top