• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why does everything need to be reviewed by a moderator?

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Jackal - 07 July 2012 11:34 AM

And usually it’s the people who most need it who are doing the loudest complaining.  We bust our asses to give you the best site possible, and at some point, if you don’t like it, tough.

Yes, and it shows. That’s fine with me, I already wrote that I won’t try my luck anymore. Moderation is surely a very important thing to waste your time on. Long live AG!  Heart

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Arial Type - 07 July 2012 04:46 AM
Lucien21 - 07 July 2012 03:16 AM

Actually The whole Gamespot is hard on AG theory is statistically wrong. I posted a couple of years ago a statistical analysis of it and a few other sites comparing the scores to AG sites and found that they all equalise out to a similar average score.

Well, I didn’t mean low scores. I was talking about their preferences. They often rate games depending on how mainstream they are. For a long time they clearly stated that adventure games are not changing and used it as a con. Today they choose only the most promising and good-looking ones, giving reviews with a nice smile and almost equal scores. I don’t think it’s much better.

Well I certainly don’t think that is true or at least not in any way different from any of the other site including the adventure centric ones.

Their preferences are governed by market forces and reader interest. When Gears of War or other such AAA game is going to sell millions of copies then it is of interest to their readers to have those games covered. It not surprising that they won’t go out of their way to review an adventure game that will sell a few thousand if they are lucky.

However when they do review games I don’t see any hint of bias or that their scores are stastically different from the other sites. (Of course there will always be a few outliers in the data).

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I think GameSpot’s reviews/ratings/coverage have actually improved somewhat when it comes to adventure games. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dusty Shinigami -

I think GameSpot’s reviews/ratings/coverage have actually improved somewhat when it comes to adventure games. Smile

For some reason, I think Heavy Rain, Machinarium, L.A. Noire, Portal 2, the Phoenix Wright games and the Layton games are to blame for that (well, “blame” isn’t exactly the right word).
My guess is that adventures were considered “dead” for a good long while, and that they’ve now become an established viable niche. So they’re reviewing the most popular titles coming out of the genre.
Oh, and the recent Kickstarter craze helped…

Concerning the moderation of review comments: the AG staff can pretty much do whatever they please, since it’s their site, but I thoroughly agree with Jackal’s statements that the comments are user additions to the reviews/articles, and shouldn’t lead to entire conversations or off-topic rants.
That’s what the forums and the PM-system are for…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top