• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Resonance demo

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I recently pre-ordered Resonance (largely due to the glowing preview here) on GOG, and I see that people who pre-ordered now have access to an exclusive demo. Has anyone tried it yet? Any comments?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Not yet. But beware. It’s more than a demo, but not compatible with the final version of the game. From the comments at GOG:

Hey everybody, game dev here to clarify a few things:

This is not a demo. The public demo of the game is not ready yet, but will be a much smaller portion of the game. This is a very sizeable chunk of the the full game, which GoG wanted to offer exclusively to pre-orderers, so we prepared it for you!

So, if you want to take a peak at the game before the full version becomes available, now’s your chance! If you want to wait and play the game when the whole thing is available to you, your free to do so! (It gives you time to buy and play that Blackwell Bundle!)

I will point out that because this preview is built on near-complete-but-not-quite-complete code, the saves from this preview WILL NOT be compatible with the full version of the game. However, we will provide you with some way to skip to the point in the game where this preview leaves off. But your points and achievements will not follow forward. So, if you’re keen on that kind of thing, you would need to replay this portion of the game. There’s about 4 hours of gameplay here, but if you know what you’re doing, you can buzz through much faster than that.

So if you’d like to try out the first part of the game, you’re now able to do so. (Be sure to tell us what you think!) If you want to wait, the full game will be here soon!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Thanks for the info. I’ll probably try it a bit, but not the full 4 hours, because I don’t want to have to replay all of that.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve played with the demo for an hour or so. And I’m very happy with what I’ve seen. I pre-ordered Resonance last week-end on a whim (I honestly can’t say what drove me to do that, apart from the fact that it was cheap and that the extremely positive tone of Jack’s preview had impressed me). And now, having played a little bit of it, I’m glad I did and I’m eagerly waiting for the full game to be released.

After a short prologue/tutorial, you have to choose in what order to play 4 separate sections, each one with a different character. I made the mistake of starting with one that had a timed puzzle, with a lot of pressure; I was still struggling with the interface at the time and so the whole thing felt pretty frustrating. But I got through it after replaying it once.

But what really impressed me was a section with a character trying to get information form a mysterious company. It’s there that the somewhat-cumbersome interface, with its distinction between inventory, short-term memory and long-term memory, really shines and that I began to glimpse how it could be used to craft fun puzzles. I had an ungodly amount of fun with that whole section (I’ve always been a sucker for computer-hacking puzzles). I especially liked the way the puzzles were crafted: not too hard (I didn’t get stuck), but always asking you to make that little leap of deduction instead of spoon-feeding you everything. They felt tremendously satisfying, and I hope the rest of the game can maintain that level of quality in the gameplay department.

Anyway, I’ve completed 3 of the 4 sections, and watched the introduction to the 4th. I don’t know how much longer the preview is (does it stop after the 4 sections, or is there more?), but I’m forcing myself to stop here and to wait for the release of the full game. And that’s going to be hard, because I like what I’ve seen.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

you won’t be disappointed…...the game is good.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 31 May 2012 02:15 AM

Anyway, I’ve completed 3 of the 4 sections, and watched the introduction to the 4th. I don’t know how much longer the preview is (does it stop after the 4 sections, or is there more?)

There’s more. You get to play as two characters at the same time, swapping between them at will (and sometimes making them work together to solve puzzles).

I was really impressed by the game’s intro. It really drew me in - I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it in AGS before.

(Full disclosure: I am handling PR for this game.)

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’ve liked what I’ve played so far, but now I’m stuck trying to find a folder and/or a password and I’m stumped! 

Most frustrating because Google is useless! Wink

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

I had decided to preorder the game anyway (still can’t decide whether to go for download or CD, though), based solely on the goodwill the author built with What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed. But I’ve always felt that game, while good, had gathered reputation for being a little more clever than it actually is, so I am glad to hear the long term/short term memory gimmick works and enhances the gameplay as I hoped it would. Smile

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2011-06-02

PM

The public demo is now available to all on the Wadjet Eye Games site.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/resonance.html

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Played through the demo, definitely liked it a lot.  I do feel that the memory system could get annoying depending on how much you have to keep in your bank, but the story and characters look good, and the retro style is excellent.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

I also preordered the game from GOG and played through the preview today. So far it looks like an amazing game. Puzzle difficulty is moderate and there are even a few difficult ones without being frustrating. There was one puzzle which could be solved two ways, puzzles that actually required co-operation between the playable characters, items could be moved between inventories of playable characters and best of all the inventory of short-term memories (where you store memories about items you see in the environment which you can later use as topics of conversation) works amazingly well and feels like a contemporary version of old-school text-parser based conversations where you could actually choose what you wanted to talk about. In short, if the game ends up being as good as the preview, it will be one of the best adventure games this year.
By the way, it seems like the preview version I played is actually much longer than the DEMO. Just out of curiosity, could someone tell me where the DEMO stops?

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The demo stops when you find the professor in the burnt out lab.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Castledoque - 14 June 2012 02:31 PM

By the way, it seems like the preview version I played is actually much longer than the DEMO. Just out of curiosity, could someone tell me where the DEMO stops?

Yep, the preview that went out to preorderers is a little longer than the demo that was released to everyone.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s out on GOG! I wish they had sent me an e-mail reminder.

Of course, the first thing that greets you when clicking the game’s icon after installing is the AGS configuration dialogue, which promptly crashes when you try to save because stupid AGS is still saving its configuration in the game’s folder and therefore you need to run the thing with administrator rights. Ugh. AGS is my second-most despised piece of software (#1 being the Expression Engine).

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2006-06-06

PM

Yes, but I think they have a link to a saved game that starts after where the demo ends.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top