• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Bugs aside, I think the SV demo was more frustrating than fun due to usability issues with the swipe interface. This is a pretty basic issue that they didn’t need a large sample size of backers to discover: five friends could tell them that. But it’s also a significant issue that makes the demo a chore to play, at least on a mouse interface, due to the swipe detection being extremely finicky and due to a lack of feedback for the swipe interaction itself.

It’s a fuzzy line between “fun enough to share with backers” and “not yet fun enough to share with backers” but I do think it’s an important line. I think most Kickstarter backers are actually quite savvy and know perfectly well that a work-in-progress game will be rough around the edges, and many of them are happy to playtest and give feedback on games in this state. But I still think you can swing too far in this direction and release a build that isn’t ready yet for backers to try. It’s important to keep in mind that these people are your customers, and what you share publicly is the impression you give of your game and your team.

The Moebius team struck a better balance with their Chapter 1 Alpha by making sure the game was easily playable before they released it to backers, while still giving enough time for feedback on items like animations, the deduction interface, and the analyze Bianca puzzle. The SpaceVenture demo, on the other hand, took the “warts and all” approach to transparency a little bit too far, I think, and needed more refinement for usability before release.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The cat seems to be out from the bag, there’s a playthrough of the alpha demo in youtube:

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

If they are going to do realistic motion puzzles without a wii remote or an ipad they need to have a Myst 4 style cursor where the hand grabs the item you are rotating or pulling.

Those swipe controls don’t look like they would work even with this being an alpha.

Oh and great, a blooming box puzzle followed by two more similar move objects out the way puzzles. Is it going for BS3’s record?

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

That demo looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, its a year later, and they look like theyr far far away from having a complete game. All these adventure kickstarter release estimates at the beginning shouldv come with a disclaimer “please assume this date is total bs.. we’re not calculating anything right”. Im predicting this project, like others, will need to go episodic.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the Guys really need to have some fun from time to time,
All work no play make Mark.. less Creative and Scott more grumpy

the guys with there new 3rd At Felicia Day’s Geek & Sundry party having some fun .

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

An on the negative feedback about the (Buggy) SV demo, i don’t know what are you guys thinking!! sometimes i feel that there are people playing with one intention to take down the negative notes , like as they are on mission , and then go like ’ (“yes i knew it .. see!! ..it sucks as i expected after all!”)
grow up please..

haven’t heard any mentioning the great Graphics and animation and the design and say that this out-put really seems good so far,and i will say it if no one wants to ,SV Demo showing its gonna be the best Kickstarted Adventure i have seen of those released and yet to (judging from trailer or screens ...etc ) .

Good Morning

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d suggest you head to Spacequest.net forum Advie. The devs have been pretty pleased from the bug hunting gone down there, as they can use the info to make the game better. And in general people have been very pleased on the graphical quality of the game. There’s a couple, as usual, who are a bit disappointed, but that’s just life. You can’t please everybody.

But what surprises me is, that I’ve not seen that many people crying because the guys don’t use retro graphics. Grin

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

You know, I think the graphics have a real retro feel to them, while definitely being more modern.  I dig them, and I’m a big fan of old-school, pixel based graphics.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sure, design of the spacestation in the alpha demo is definetly not so gentle nudge towards SQ and as such it has the 80’s aestethetics going on. I don’t have hard time believing that had there been good enough tech to bring that quality graphics in homes in the 80’s Space Quest could have looked something like SpaceVenture does.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

For sure they have over-delivered on graphics and production values. The design is a bit of a mess right now, but given how early the game is, it seems like there will be plenty of time to fix that, and luckily they have access to backer feedback.

I doubt we’ll see this game before the middle of 2014, but as long as they have the resources to finish it, I’m ok with that. Better that then rushing it out half-finished.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Frogacuda - 22 July 2013 12:26 PM

I doubt we’ll see this game before the middle of 2014, but as long as they have the resources to finish it, I’m ok with that. Better that then rushing it out half-finished.

i agree, and i cant imagine the funds theyv raised lasting them a whole 2nd year+ of development… so i think we’l see somthing like what doublefine is doing, or straight out episodic.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 22 July 2013 04:04 PM

i agree, and i cant imagine the funds theyv raised lasting them a whole 2nd year+ of development… so i think we’l see somthing like what doublefine is doing, or straight out episodic.

That was my worry too, but I don’t think they’re really paying a staff to work on the game. I think they have a couple contractors like Ken Allen doing music and some “interns” but it’s mostly just Scott and Mark paying themselves to work, so running out of money isn’t as pressing a concern for them as it is for others.

Mark probably has enough money to keep going for a while, and Scott probably has fairly low living expenses so if they need to extend development they can, within reason. There’s no physical studio or full-time staff to pay and thus not the same kind of fixed monthly expenses.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I love the bg art. I love the high res polished look. I LOVE sq. I am excited for this game!! but… I hate the character. Frown  and I did not back it. 

I will probably buy it when it is released but with this Ace Hardway guy they really took the anti-hero thing too far.  I mean, Roger was a dunce. Roger was a tool. but I liked Roger!! He had charisma and you couldn’t help but love the guy despite his idiocy.  This fat ‘handy-man-from-a-spaceage-future’ doesn’t interest me in the least.  sad.  I do regret not being able to see the alpha demo but… I can wait Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

syn - 25 August 2013 04:55 AM

I hate the character. Frown

Who knows, maybe he’ll grow on you when you actually play the game. I’m pretty sure that a screenshot of Roger Wilco from SQ1 wouldn’t exactly radiate personality (before having played it) either Wink

My biggest disappointment is how they pitched a 2D handdrawn game, and then went on and changed it to 3D. I pledged $115, an amount I would never (knowingly) give for a 3D adventure. And what’s up with the crate-pushing? It’s clear they’ve been out of the game for a while Confused

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

syn - 25 August 2013 04:55 AM

I love the bg art. I love the high res polished look. I LOVE sq. I am excited for this game!! but… I hate the character. Frown  and I did not back it. 

I will probably buy it when it is released but with this Ace Hardway guy they really took the anti-hero thing too far.  I mean, Roger was a dunce. Roger was a tool. but I liked Roger!! He had charisma and you couldn’t help but love the guy despite his idiocy.  This fat ‘handy-man-from-a-spaceage-future’ doesn’t interest me in the least.  sad.  I do regret not being able to see the alpha demo but… I can wait Smile

Actually agree with you. It’s almost as though they think the most compelling thing about Roger Wilco was that he was a janitor; and went from there. The character pretty much makes me have not much interest in this game, until I can play the full game and see if the game itself is captivating enough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top