• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdam

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spontaneous CPT of The Castle staaaaarts…Now! (July 3. See first post.)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DCast - 15 June 2021 10:31 PM

We can start whenever you are ready, no rush.
Fran Bow might be longer than you anticipating, and yes - it’s a fantastic game. I even like the reference that you pointed out that you didn’t (about the guard). I don’t think it was “a joke”, and I think true power in it is that it’s only hinting on something - the most horrifying things are happening in your imagination, not in game (in this particular case), so it’s that power of implication that manages to make you shudder without doing something explicitly - a hallmark of a really solid writing/game design.

I’m a big fan of Fran Bow, a truely amazing game. I’ve played it at least 4 times and I could play it 4 more times. Little Misfortune is quite good to and worth a spin.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 839

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I really like the name of Little Miss Fortune and will surely check it out soon. That game and Fran Bow seem to be joined at the hip in the collective adventure gamer consciousness. That’s a Fran Bow joke, see?
I just played Frogger and I am liking this game more and more as it goes. It’s amazing how it manages to be so dark and so whimsical at the same time.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Little Misfortune is a lot more “interactive cartoon”-ish than Fran Bow, but you do see the “joining at the hip”.

I’ll be able to start DoTT tomorrow, sorry, got a lots of unexpected overtime.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast: That’s perfect, let’s just use this topic so as not to flood the forum with playthrough posts. I’ll change the title. If you start tomorrow, I’ll start on Sunday, since I’m already a little ways in. This is going to be a fun one.

EDIT: DoTT playthrough now starts on 6/23! Go play King’s Quest V again while you wait for Wednesday.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I was feeling hungry today, so I went on a Thrift Store Quest and found this bounty of delicious and satisfying food. I saved a couple of pieces to melt down into fruit drinks to wash the solid food down with. When life gives you wax lemons, make wax lemonade.

Also, please note that the DoTT has been rescheduled to start on Wednesday, 6/23.

Image Attachments

5A488543-2834-4C8A-8338-377AD37296D2.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 June 2021 03:14 PM

I was feeling hungry today, so I went on a Thrift Store Quest and found this bounty of delicious and satisfying food. I saved a couple of pieces to melt down into fruit drinks to wash the solid food down with. When life gives you wax lemons, make wax lemonade.

Also, please note that the DoTT has been rescheduled to start on Wednesday, 6/23.

I only got the reference just now. Gasp

I love it.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Thanks, VP!

Okay! Let’s get started on Day of the Tentacle!
*Gets started.*

Okay! Just finished my first session of Day of the Tentacle. Long day, so it was a short one. I started over and am, according the the save game stat, 3% finished!
Firstly, I think this game might have my favorite voice acting of any game. Every line makes me grin, smile, laugh, or shoot sweet potato and kabocha squash out my nose. Good times.
And I love all the little details in the dialogue, where each character expresses themselves with unique tone, mannerisms, and personality. From Doctor Fred descriptively and casually insulting everyone he talks about, to the way TJ condescends to John Hancock and Hoagie, to Ben Franklin’s superiority complex ignorant arrogance.

A couple of things I want to mention which some folks seem to miss when playing this game, and which really ruins the game if you don’t notice them: Most important! ***You don’t need to go to the Chronojohn to pass objects to the other characters! You can just move the object from one character’s inventory to the portrait of another character on the right side of the screen. Viola!
Also, you can just click the mouse wheel to open up the inventory in the ‘remaster’ mode. (You don’t need to click the little arrow on the bottom left of the screen.) I only mention this one because it frustrated me for a little while the first time I played the remaster.

Anyway, so far so good. I’ve attached a picture that illustrates why I think it would be great if Laverne could travel the past as well. Hoagie didn’t want to do it, but I bet she would love to!

Image Attachments

IMG_5486.JPG

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

If I hadn’t replayed DoTT last year I would join your unofficial CP. Laverne is my favorite. The outstanding voice acting makes her character even better. Just the way she says Hey, Mr Tentacle guy…  Cool

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I decided to use this opportunity to test the remastered version, and I’m not sure I like the “updated” look much. It’s cool that you can play it on larger monitors, and even cooler that the opening video was reworked with additional art - at least I think so - to make the scenes look extra large (gonna insert this word everywhere now). And while the art was certainly updated to please even the youngets players, the graphics itself… I think it lost the depth and became too lifeless, too flash-like. Still better than Monkey Island remasters, that’s for sure. I also kept switching between old and new modes and I think I broke something, because the game started showing black artifacts sometimes.

The music also sounds kinda… not right, like it was downgraded somehow, and I felt the desire to switch back to original midi very soon. But maybe it’s just my nostalgia for the old times (despite DOTT was never among my favourite LucasArts adventures) and I need to get a better taste of the game. Voices sound really good though, like they were re-recored on better equipment (they are obviously the original voices, just not compressed).

Also tried to play with the dev’s commentary on, but quickly found out that it’s near impossible to focus on the gameplay and switched it off. Finally, I couldn’t force myself to play with the new interface, it’s just out of style, and the coin surrounded by tens of mini-icons feel uncomfortable to me. I think I’ll play with the old text i-face, even if it means a smaller window.

I played through the intro, and I think it’s still my favourite part of the game, with the team of “heroes” rushing to save the tentacle, with Dr. Fred proudly presenting his Chron-O-John and forcing the “speciments” to test it despite it was complately unsafe. Every scene and line there is perfectly written and very quotable. To me later parts of the game always felt less balanced as far as writing goes.

I’m now searching the mansion for the blueprints (yeah, I know where to find them, just like to wander around for a bit before the game “officially” starts - gives you some sort of open-world vibe as well as some additional scenes). Also for the first time I payed attention to the hint to that infamous puzzle. In fact they made it so obvious - that this was a hint to some puzzle - that it sounded like a parody on hints in adventure games (“useful info, wink wink, nudge nudge”) and I’m surprised I never noticed it. But the game is very talkie and many lines are just there to be spoken and not used to solve anything, so that was probably the case. Bernard is still very funny in his nerdiness.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 23 June 2021 08:27 PM

extra large (gonna insert this word everywhere now).

Also tried to play with the dev’s commentary on, but quickly found out that it’s near impossible to focus on the gameplay and switched it off. Finally, I couldn’t force myself to play with the new interface, it’s just out of style, and the coin surrounded by tens of mini-icons feel uncomfortable to me. I think I’ll play with the old text i-face, even if it means a smaller window.

I played through the intro, and I think it’s still my favourite part of the game, with the team of “heroes” rushing to save the tentacle, with Dr. Fred proudly presenting his Chron-O-John and forcing the “speciments” to test it despite it was complately unsafe. Every scene and line there is perfectly written and very quotable. To me later parts of the game always felt less balanced as far as writing goes.

I’m now searching the mansion for the blueprints (yeah, I know where to find them, just like to wander around for a bit before the game “officially” starts - gives you some sort of open-world vibe as well as some additional scenes). Also for the first time I payed attention to the hint to that infamous puzzle. In fact they made it so obvious - that this was a hint to some puzzle - that it sounded like a parody on hints in adventure games (“useful info, wink wink, nudge nudge”) and I’m surprised I never noticed it. But the game is very talkie and many lines are just there to be spoken and not used to solve anything, so that was probably the case. Bernard is still very funny in his nerdiness.

Rather than playing with a smaller window, why not try playing with a less extra large window?

I agree that every scene and line is perfectly balanced in the intro, but I feel that this extends as much as possible into the rest of the game as well. Could it be that because the rest of the game is necessarily less ‘directed’ than the intro, it is just impossible for it to hit every note on quite the same perfect bullseye? But I’m wowing at almost every line in every conversation. The yuks don’t seem to stop coming, and the best part is that they don’t ever seem to be forced either—it’s just a bunch of really wacky characters interacting with each other, each exactly according to his personality. It seems so natural. Even the wackiness is like ‘hey, I bet George Washington really *was* a whole lot like this sometimes. Let’s take those sometimes and make them *ALL THE TIME*. I think it works great.

Also, Yeah, I’m noticing that lots of the puzzles which I always thought were just try everything on everything or kinda large leaps of logic are actually pretty clearly hinted at. It’s just, like you said, there is so much dialogue that it’s hard to separate what’s there as a clue and what’s there for color. But that’s a great puzzle ‘gimmick’ in itself—making the player use auditory observation, much the same way a game like Myst relied on making the player use visual observation. And that is probably the only time I’ll compare Day of the Tentacle to Myst.
Make sure to look at every item in your inventory! Sometimes, yeah, the items are used in strange ways, but your characters will always make a comment to lead you to use it that way. It’s great.

I’m not sure which version I prefer, but I get why someone would prefer one over the other in either direction. (On a recent playthrough of Disco Elysium, the game mocked me for being so intensely Centrist. If the game could read that last non-parenthesized paragraphs, it would never stop laughing at me.)

Anyway, this game was always in my tippity top favorite games ever since I played it as a little munchkin, but now I’m thinking it might be my absolute favorite non-music/rhythm game.

Would like to write more—I’m at 15% and have lots to say, but I have to go wash my car.

Toodles!

PS: There is a preponderance of maids in adventure games—probably enough to make a picture quiz about—but in my eyes and in my heart George Washington’s is the only one that was maid in heaven. Extra large quantities of cuteness!

Image Attachments

IMG_5505.JPG

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 23 June 2021 09:24 PM

PS: There is a preponderance of maids in adventure games—probably enough to make a picture quiz about

Really? I challenge you to come up with a dozen games with a maid in it. I bet there are more games that feature a butler.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 24 June 2021 08:24 AM

PS: There is a preponderance of maids in adventure games—probably enough to make a picture quiz about

Really? I challenge you to come up with a dozen games with a maid in it. I bet there are more games that feature a butler.

Challenge accepted. Here’s some games in which there are maids:

DoTT
Gabriel Knight 3
Broken Sword 4
The Colonel’s Bequest
Phantasmagoria
Cassima in King’s Quest 5
Leisure Suit Larry 1 (and I’d wager there are several more over the course of the series)
Conquests of the Longbow (okay that’s a stretch Smile )

Hmmm…that’s all I can come up with off the top of my head, but I’m sure I’ve stolen things off of more housekeeping carts than that. Maybe I’m confusing real life with games again. Okay, let’s make this a Maid/Butler puzzle instead. Anyway, what is a butler but a male maid, and what is a maid but a female butler? It’s the same dichotomy as doctor/nurse.

*Ducks and runs*

But seriously, it’d be lovely if you’d join this playthrough. Playing DoTT once in a year and saying ‘that’s enough’ is like uhhhh….hmmm….eating ice cream once a year and saying ‘okay, I’m good for the next 18 months or so with ice cream.’

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron, I was sure you were going to mention Chantelle from “Technobabylon”! Even though she wears many hats.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 24 June 2021 11:11 AM

DoTT
Gabriel Knight 3
Broken Sword 4
The Colonel’s Bequest
Phantasmagoria
Leisure Suit Larry 1 (and I’d wager there are several more over the course of the series)

Here, let me help you. Smile
Overboard!
Not Another Weekend
Black Mirror 2
Dragonsphere
Les Manley
The Dark Eye
A couple of Nancy Drew games
Many Sherlock Holmes games

But seriously, it’d be lovely if you’d join this playthrough. Playing DoTT once in a year and saying ‘that’s enough’ is like uhhhh….hmmm….eating ice cream once a year and saying ‘okay, I’m good for the next 18 months or so with ice cream.’

Hmm… okay, if you promise not to ask me how many butlers I remember.  Cool

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Doom - 23 June 2021 08:27 PM

I decided to use this opportunity to test the remastered version, and I’m not sure I like the “updated” look much. It’s cool that you can play it on larger monitors, and even cooler that the opening video was reworked with additional art - at least I think so - to make the scenes look extra large (gonna insert this word everywhere now). And while the art was certainly updated to please even the youngets players, the graphics itself… I think it lost the depth and became too lifeless, too flash-like. Still better than Monkey Island remasters, that’s for sure. I also kept switching between old and new modes and I think I broke something, because the game started showing black artifacts sometimes.

Absolutely. The original is more vibrant, more stylish, and just better. That’s not to say a remaster couldn’t have bettered the original, just that this one doesn’t.

Baron_Blubba - 24 June 2021 11:11 AM
Karlok - 24 June 2021 08:24 AM

DoTT
Gabriel Knight 3
Broken Sword 4
The Colonel’s Bequest
Phantasmagoria

Hugo 2: Whodunit?
Alter Ego
Sherlock Holmes: Arsene Lupin
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

I think quite a few of the Nancy Drew games have several maids distributed through them, but I haven’t played enough of them to name them.

But anyway, that’s 12. Can you name a dozen games with butlers?  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top