• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The season of the warlock

Total Posts: 1640

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just tried the demo to this game, it was short about 30 mins but very fun. Id love to see what yall think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1185380

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The soul of a warlock of yore, trapped in a portrait, will present Lord Alistair Ainsworth with an offer he will not be able to resist.

That line in combination with the title, I’m in. I’ll check out the demo this weekend.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 17 June 2021 12:34 PM

The soul of a warlock of yore, trapped in a portrait, will present Lord Alistair Ainsworth with an offer he will not be able to resist.

That line in combination with the title, I’m in. I’ll check out the demo this weekend.

Great, think the demo might only be to the 22nd

One thing I’m curious about the marketing says there are two different storylines depending on a choice you make in the beginning. I’m hoping that’s true and there’s different puzzles depending on your choice and this ain’t a Telltale type marketing gimmick.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2014-02-13

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2021 01:06 PM

One thing I’m curious about the marketing says there are two different storylines depending on a choice you make in the beginning. I’m hoping that’s true and there’s different puzzles depending on your choice and this ain’t a Telltale type marketing gimmick.

Yes, I’m also hoping it plays differently depending on your choice, not only some dialogue changes. It sounds like a lot of work, more like two games in one. Let’s hope they can pull this off.
I liked the demo a lot, so I’m looking forward to the game.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-05-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2021 12:27 PM

I just tried the demo to this game, it was short about 30 mins but very fun. Id love to see what yall think.

Thank you for mentioning! We’d really love to see what people around here think about the demo! We really appreciate all the feedback!

Hope you like it, let us know!

Esmeralda - 18 June 2021 08:51 AM

Yes, I’m also hoping it plays differently depending on your choice, not only some dialogue changes. It sounds like a lot of work, more like two games in one. Let’s hope they can pull this off.

100% no marketing gimmick guaranteed. From the choice on, all puzzles are completely different (albeit with the same characters and in the same locations), and the goals and even the rythm of each of the paths are different. It’s kind of two games in one, and it’s indeed quite a lot of work, we may be crazy!  Laughing

We did this because we don’t like artificial choices in obvious plot choice points, nor forcing onto the player something they don’t want to do. I mean, we got this scene in which the warlock makes you an offer. One way of doing that would be: “ok, we go for ‘yes’ and there’s no option to refuse”, and there would be an offer and an automated answer. What if the player wanted to refuse? We would be forcing them to go for yes. That’s not something we like. If you’re presented something as a choice, then you must be able to choose or else it won’t feel right. We could’ve fixed that by not presenting the pact with the warlock as a choice, but we didn’t know how to do that plot point interesting without the pact. So we went for the hard way, making the choice count.

Hopefully we’ve managed to make both paths interesting!

Thank you all for the kind words.  Heart

Currently developing: The Season of the Warlock

Wishlist in Steam if you like it, please! It helps a lot!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

enComplot - 18 June 2021 12:20 PM
Jdawg445 - 17 June 2021 12:27 PM

Thank you for mentioning! We’d really love to see what people around here think about the demo! We really appreciate all the feedback!

Hope you like it, let us know!

Esmeralda - 18 June 2021 08:51 AM

100% no marketing gimmick guaranteed. From the choice on, all puzzles are completely different (albeit with the same characters and in the same locations), and the goals and even the rythm of each of the paths are different. It’s kind of two games in one, and it’s indeed quite a lot of work, we may be crazy!  Laughing

We did this because we don’t like artificial choices in obvious plot choice points, nor forcing onto the player something they don’t want to do. I mean, we got this scene in which the warlock makes you an offer. One way of doing that would be: “ok, we go for ‘yes’ and there’s no option to refuse”, and there would be an offer and an automated answer. What if the player wanted to refuse? We would be forcing them to go for yes. That’s not something we like. If you’re presented something as a choice, then you must be able to choose or else it won’t feel right. We could’ve fixed that by not presenting the pact with the warlock as a choice, but we didn’t know how to do that plot point interesting without the pact. So we went for the hard way, making the choice count.

Hopefully we’ve managed to make both paths interesting!

Thank you all for the kind words.  Heart

How long would you say a single playthrough is.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Yes, that is crazy, and I love it. I’m putting this one on the must buy list.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This game looks adorable. Downloaded the demo, hope to play it soon. If not, I’ll get the full game asap when it comes out and play it then, based solely on the aesthetic and nice things people are saying here.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I like the dialogue, the playable character, The Master (terrible, vain and unaware)..

..but I can hardly play the game for more than two minutes. Then it just stops. I start it again and the cycle repeats.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-05-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 18 June 2021 01:08 PM

How long would you say a single playthrough is.

That’s very hard to assess, and it depends a lot on each player, of course. On our own playthroughs of the critical path, we’d say around 5 hours each branch at least—that’s when we play straight, so I can imagine if you stop looking at all the things and enjoying all the details, it’d be more. Wink

LittleRose - 18 June 2021 06:36 PM

Yes, that is crazy, and I love it. I’m putting this one on the must buy list.

Baron_Blubba - 18 June 2021 09:41 PM

This game looks adorable. Downloaded the demo, hope to play it soon. If not, I’ll get the full game asap when it comes out and play it then, based solely on the aesthetic and nice things people are saying here.

Thank you both!  Laughing

Vegetable Party - 21 June 2021 10:04 AM

I like the dialogue, the playable character, The Master (terrible, vain and unaware)..

..but I can hardly play the game for more than two minutes. Then it just stops. I start it again and the cycle repeats.

We’re happy about the first, worried about the last. Would you be willing to discuss this in private and help us pinpoint what may be causing the issue?  Smile

Currently developing: The Season of the Warlock

Wishlist in Steam if you like it, please! It helps a lot!

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

Played the demo and enjoyed it.Love the fact that there are different puzzles depending on the choice you make.Will definitely be playing it twice and definitely will be buying it.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Did anybody else try the demo

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I haven’t played the demo but I Know the project well as one of the creators is a friend of mine. I will help testing it before release.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top