• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Baron Blubba’s Crossword Quiz *Now Playing: Character Couplet Quest!* This will consume your weekend.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Update: July 2

Hi everyone (I’m Doctor Nick)!

Okay, the new puzzle is finally here. This took quite a bit of time to create, and the process was both joyfully and frustratingly addictive. The key to this one is that the answer to every single question is A) an adventure game character*, and b) part of a rhyming couplet*.

*One or two (mostly) obvious exceptions exist where the answer is the name of a character’s game, not the name of the character himself, because I thought that very few people would actually know the character’s name.
Also, there are a couple of instances where the rhyme isn’t perfect. For example, ‘Seldom’ might rhyme with ‘Sheldon’. Out of the 100+ clues, this happens hmmm…maybe twice?

Anyway, have fun, kids! And as usual, if you would like another clue for any part of the puzzle, just post here and I’ll try to help. Or help each other out, because we are all one great jigsaw puzzle here, each of us containing unique pieces that are needed to complete the bigger beautiful picture.

As Princess Zelda famously said: Link! https://crosswordlabs.com/view/adventure-game-crossword-3-character-couplet-quest

Oh! And there are at least two names that appears a few times. One because it is a common name, and the other because…well, if you’ve been following the Day of the Tentacle thread on this forum, you’ll know who it is without even having to read this sentence that you are reading right now. *Sigh…what a crooked bug eyed dreamboat.*

Hi folks,

I’ve made another puzzle! This one is based on Sierra Online. It’s a doozy, but not nearly as challenging as the LucasArts one (which is linked to a little further down in this post.
As always, let me know if you’d like any secondary clues to the ones included with the puzzle, and I will do my best to provide an alternate angle to the solution.

Sierra Puzzle
https://crosswordlabs.com/view/2021-06-16-336

Have fun!

Lucas Arts Puzzle

https://crosswordlabs.com/view/adventure-game-crossword-1

*Update below*

After getting as many as you can using the admittedly way too hard and sometimes downright obtuse first clues that are included with the puzzle in the link above,, please try using these additional clues to help you finish the puzzle.

Across:
2. If he likes the cut of your jib, he’ll join your crew. If not, he’ll at least cut your hair.
5. Full Throttle mercy words (second word)
9. Madame Xima may be a medium, but she shops off this rack.
10. She’s interested in anatomy…and has a pretty interesting anatomy herself!
11. Keep your hands off his hamster
14. Punk rock pianist
15. The only original cast member not named Edison or Tentacle or a rodent to make a return for part two.
16. Probably shouldn’t challenge him to a hold-your-breath contest.
19. Contains artificial sweeteners, red dye #2, and kerosene, among others.
20. Indy and Sophia can form one of these?
21. Occasional coffin seller, perpetual jacket wearer.
27. There is no other clue for this one.
29. Often gets confused with the creator of the Blackwell series.
30. Turncoats, in the world of Monkey Island
33. Bonewagoneer
34. Threadbare? You might need one of these!
36. If your baby frequently sounds like a motorcycle, you’ll need lots of this.
37. Wawa wasn’t around in 1776, but this guy was.
42. He’s black and white, just like his name.
43. Lively post mortem designation
44. Cousin Ted is wrapped up in this.
45. The Kickstand, for one. Scumm, for another.
47. This astronaut in pretty highbrow game shares a name with the developer of a very different style of adventure game.
48. “Behold! Yon primate possesses ________” (If Shakespeare did LucasArts)
50. This character’s game was given new life in 2015.
53. Edna, to Ed.
55. They will never start making minivans.
56. Lozenges, ‘For The Pirate Who Cares About First Impressions!”
57. When a pirate sees a big red X on the ground, this is what happens next

Down:
1. Fans were forging a sequel to this game, but its status since 2015 has been cloaked in mystery.
2. Guybrush’s ambition adjective.
3. Laverne doesn’t know what this is.
4. Rottweilers’ natural enemies.
6. Human cannonballs should always wear one.
7. Motorcycle heiress.
8. His revenge was controversial, in the end.
12. You can do this dance even when dead on your feet.
13. Sophia Hapgood’s career claim to fame.
14. His ears are fine; it’s what’s between them that’s scary.
17. Ducky Loom inspiration?
18. The puzzles in The Dig are often accused of not being nearly as clear as these essential game objects are.
22. Time in a port-a-potty?
23. His home doesn’t have four walls, but it has two of something else.
24. Author of “Hermocrates”.
25. No companion? No weapons? No problem for Indy! He’s still got these!
26. Bernard? More like Ber_ _ _ _!
28. He endered up writing the dialogue in The Dig.
30. Friend of Teddy Roosevelt who bares a striking resemblance to a certain zucchini.
31. Contrarian cannibals?
32. These red herrings are subject to inflation. So don’t be caught dead carrying too many of them.
35. Conveniently ubiquitous Sam & Max franchise.
38. Call her?
39. This one already has the perfect clue.
40. It’s not as intellectually stimulating as the other two paths in Fate of Atlantis, but you do get to punch more Nazis.
41. Scabb Island cartographer who ends up hanging out with Guybrush.
46. Stereotypical occupation for adventure game women of Romanian heritage.
49. Guybrush shouldn’t have given Elaine a cursed one.
51. The best section of Stan’s wardrobe.
52. LeChuck’s crew in The Secret of Monkey Island.
54. Rhymes with cumpus, dumpus, fumpus, gumpus, humpus, jumpus, kumpus, lumpus, numpus, mumpus, qumpus, rumpus, sumpus, tumpus, vumpus, wumpus, xumpus, yumpus, and zumpus. His hit song Broken Hearted Roadkill on the Highway of Romance went gold.
56. Destruction derby souvenir fare.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Yes!

You had me at the answer to 1. At AG crossword puzzle, really.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Haha, thanks. Yeah, I like that clue, too.

By the way, the most fun way to do this is probably to print it out.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I do not own a printer.

I use.. the theatre of the mind.

And digital files.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 June 2021 02:36 PM

I do not own a printer.

I use.. the theatre of the mind.

And digital files.

Let life imitate art: Evolve a plan to distract the secretary at your job so you can use the printer there. You’ll also need to murder the guard at the aquarium to gather some squid ink, and hunt, skin, cure, and papyrusize an antelope for paper. Then you’ll need to go to the local renaissance fair and pluck the feather from a minstrel’s cap, because you’ll need a writing utensil. Finally, travel to an Incan museum, set off the alarm, and then snag a priceless ancient clay vessel to use as an inkwell. Then, all you’ve got to do is figure out how to turn on the electricity back at the office (you know how to do this already from playing Maniac Mansion) and viola, enjoy your jigsaw puzzle. I hope you don’t make any mistakes, because the eraser making puzzle is total moon logic.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I worked on the crossword for about 2 hours tonight and found 20 so far.  For some I recognize the game but not the character or specific references.  I’ll try again in the next few days.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Found 50 out of 61. Some of these are *very* hard. Gasp

Noticed two small errors: 36 across is actually two letters shorter than it should be (missing -ed), and 50 across was in The Curse of Monkey Island, not Escape From Monkey Island.

2 down is baffling me, since it’s NOT “pirate”, and I can’t think of anything else it could be… Sealed Lips

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Thank you for playing, Lady Kestrel and Timovieman. I did not intend for it to be so hard. I will give some alternate clues later today. I am working on another one now with easier clues and much fewer co-dependent clues, which I think will be more fun.

Tim - you are very close. The answer is in the same sentence that the character frequently uses to introduce himself.
The clue should have been ‘x wants to be this kind of pirate’.

The most obscure games used in the puzzle are Loom and The Dig. The most recent game is Grim Fandango.
There is no Zak McKraken. There is nothing earlier than Maniac Mansion.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

53 out of 61!

Still missing 6 down, 9 across, 22 down, 30 down, 32 down, 38 down, 44 across and 53 across. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Holy smokes, great job, Tim!

Here are some clues for the ones you are missing:

6 Down - This might take some circus-like mental gymnastics to figure out. Perhaps it doesn’t take just a leap of logic, but a blast off of logic.
9 Across - I might be accused of fat shaming for this one.
22 Down - The key word here is time. I thought this clue was a gem, but it’s only cubic zirconia.
30 Down - I came up with this clue on a long hike in a National Park. It will require much more than max brain power to figure out.
32 Down - I didn’t think this one would bend anyone’s mind too much. If you’ve played the first couple of hours of the game it is referring to, the clue is a dead give away.
38 Down - Do you really want a hint for this one? *It’s your call.*
44 Across - This one is first cousins with 38 down. If you get that one, you’ll probably get this one. (Yes, this is a very hard one)
53 Across - Take a break, have some lemonade, and try again. Just inspect your mug before pouring. (Okay, this is a very very very obscure Curse of Monkey Island clue. I didn’t realize when making it that the line is only uttered once in the entire game…it’s just iconic for me. My mistake. If you still can’t get it, ask your mother for help.)

I’m going to go in and edit the Escape/Curse of Monkey Island mix up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Timovieman, you are an AG crossword beast.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

He is! How far did you get, VP? I promise the next one will be much more fun and have a better challenge/doability balance.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Oh, this one is fun. I have about 16 or 17 correct answers right now. I think there are a couple of descriptions I haven’t read yet.

I’m enjoying a couscous salad, reloading my brain, as soon as I feel up to it, I’m giving this puzzle another go.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well, I think I’m at my limit with 25 correct answers.  I look forward to seeing the ones I missed.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 17 June 2021 07:49 PM

Well, I think I’m at my limit with 25 correct answers.  I look forward to seeing the ones I missed.

I’m going to try and release another round of clues tomorrow, less obtuse this time. Did you use the new clues in the spoiler section of my reply to Tim above?

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I managed to get to 36 correct answers but am now stumped on the remaining words.  I’m really struggling with 2 down in particular (yes, I saw the earlier clarification but it sadly didn’t help).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top