• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Some interesting views about adventure games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am not debating Europe had 8 bit and text adventures, obviously it did. What the Longest Journey was - is a multi million unit selling game and the most critical acclaimed game of its day. It is number 2 on the top100 all time great adventure games. This put Europe in the position of being the place where the best adventure games came from, especially compared to North America, which originated the genre.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

GateKeeper - 09 January 2021 12:45 PM

Speaking of 1999, about a month later from The Longest Journey, Shenmue was released, which at the time was the most expensive and technologically challenging adventure game ever made.*
Even by today’s game standards Shenmue would be an expensive production, and at the time it cost at least 15 times more than The Longest Journey.

That’s a fact that is often forgotten when discussing where and when adventure game development shifted worldwide. How many adventure games to this date have topped Shenmue production values? L.A. Noire* and a couple of others?

(* = genre definition is debatable)

I think this is interesting topic (opposed to “Adventure games in Europe almost didn’t exist prior to TLJ nonsense).
Do we know what are the most expensive adventure games ever produced?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There definitely was a surprisingly vibrant adventure game scene in Europe in the late 90s. Adventure Company acted as a publisher for a good deal of those games, many of which were made by studios that made only that one game. And that probably is the reason that might make it look like the genre was somewhat dead: it took some time for the more recognisable developers.
I’d also claim that many of those 2000-2009 published Adventure Company titles range mostly from mediocre to poor, so finding a good game among them is rare, which contributes to the idea they didn’t garner that much publicity back then.

I don’t know about the budgets of modern games, but Ken Williams stated Sierra games usually cost around 1 million to produce and for a good while Phantasmagoria was their most expensive title with around 5 million dollar budget.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Telltale Games were probably pretty expensive, if you count licensing costs.
Portal 2 probably wasn’t too cheap, but given its age maybe not quite up there.
Some of the FMV titles are maybe good candidates?
David Cage stuff should be somewhere up there, whether Beyond Two Souls or Detroit.
“Heavy Rain’s budget was $22 million and the budget for Beyond: Two Souls was $27 million, not including approximately $18 million in costs for marketing and distribution.”
Life Is Strange (2) might be another reasonable candidate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Don’t forget about the first two Broken Sword games, they sold around million copies each by 2001. Also Cryo Interactive was very popular during the 90s-early 2000s as a developer/publisher, at least in Europe.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Doom - 10 January 2021 04:04 PM

Don’t forget about the first two Broken Sword games, they sold around million copies each by 2001. Also Cryo Interactive was very popular during the 90s-early 2000s as a developer/publisher, at least in Europe.

So true, when adventure games died in North America, Europe had many hits, Broken Sword, and Cryo with Atlantis: The Lost Tales among others.

I recall going to GameStop at the time and buying them. Great Fun. And of course, Broken Sword is in our top 100 video games of all time list also.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top