• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sexualization of women in japanese adventure games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

In fact, you might go so far - although that’d be tough to really measure - as to say that you’d probably find more disgust for their games and anime there among the general population than here, to the point were being “a gamer” can easily be a social stigma.

I would have never have guessed that this is true. I have tons of Japanese games and no one says anything. And the reason is simply, a great game is a great game. Persona 4 Golden is considered one of the best RPGs around, despite the fan service in the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Mikekelly - 05 April 2020 09:48 AM

And the reason is simply, a great game is a great game.

It’s not about the quality of games, it’s about dismissiveness of gaming as a hobby as a whole.

In the West it’s surprisingly accepted these days; even if still last decade we had all those stupid debates about video game violence and so on. But even that was more of a loud fringe group.

Now you can go watch real-world F1 drivers streaming on Twitch; mainstream TV showing off newest game developments, real-world companies getting into eSports and so on.
If a 50-year old company owner talks about their weekly DnD session or LARPing or something nobody is going to think that that’s particularly outrageous.

I’m sure anyone even somewhat older can remember that the attitude was quite different until recently, and that maybe you wouldn’t openly admit to being into something as “childish” as gaming Wink

And Japanese society still has very much this contempt for gaming/otaku culture. If you are a “proper” member of society, you don’t “waste time” on frivolous things such as games.

I’m not saying this is universal or anything, and as with us, it’s changing with the time.

The point was just “overall Japanese society != Japanese gaming subculture”. Of course these are connected, but they aren’t the same.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Pyoro-2 - 05 April 2020 11:27 AM

And Japanese society still has very much this contempt for gaming/otaku culture. If you are a “proper” member of society, you don’t “waste time” on frivolous things such as games.

Indeed. Recently I saw a short documentary about an entire subclass of young Japanese men who refuse to leave their bedrooms. I guess that’s what happens when your passions are rejected by society.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top