• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

So is My Brother Rabbit worth playing? I got it but don’t know if I want to play it. All the casuals I’ve played have been rather s#*t except for maybe the Drawn series. But I heard this has a more cerebral plot and more than just hidden object puzzles. I’d like to hear from an AG player on this.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yeah it’s pretty good and I had a good time with it. There are some adventure type puzzles in there but they are definitely on the easy side.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I, on the other hand, found it quite un-enjoyable. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just that I didn’t like it. At some point in time we’ve all played a critically-acclaimed game, but we find ourselves asking the question “What was all the fuss about?” This is one of those games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am finding Chapter Three a bit of a grind. The “Mouse Key” puzzle was a timed puzzle which I’m not particularly good at. The “7” puzzle was solved by brute force. I.e. Do I really need to shift that lever and turn that crank one more time? And the rest of the stuff I am working on is equally as tedious. Really looking forward to getting through this, and on to Chapter Four. Still love the game, but there are times when I long for a Skip button.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

rtrooney - 15 January 2020 11:34 AM

I, on the other hand, found it quite un-enjoyable. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just that I didn’t like it. At some point in time we’re all played a critically-acclaimed game, but we find ourselves asking the question “What was all the fuss about?” This is one of those games.

I’m kind of getting a similar feeling after an hour of playtime. It’s got nice art, and it’s relaxing and easy, which is what I want from a casual. But yeah, nothing spectacular.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I absolutely, positively plan on finishing Chapter three by the end of this week. Parts of it were so frustrating that I just stopped playing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vehelon - 17 January 2020 07:49 PM
rtrooney - 15 January 2020 11:34 AM

I, on the other hand, found it quite un-enjoyable. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just that I didn’t like it. At some point in time we’re all played a critically-acclaimed game, but we find ourselves asking the question “What was all the fuss about?” This is one of those games.

I’m kind of getting a similar feeling after an hour of playtime. It’s got nice art, and it’s relaxing and easy, which is what I want from a casual. But yeah, nothing spectacular.

I think one of the problems is that you buy into the premise, i.e. brother helping sick sister. That’s introduced at the very beginning of the game. And then, all of a sudden, it turns into a puzzle game. And the “backstory” of why you’re playing the game, helping your sister, disappears. I’m assuming the game ends satisfactorily, sister-wise. But I don’t know. The game lost me far too early, so I never finished it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did finish Chapter 3 this afternoon. I have mixed feelings. (Although no mixed feelings about finishing the chapter. I’m glad I’m done with it.)

It was definitely a “puzzler’s delight,” and I like puzzles. But I didn’t care for the repetitive nature of the puzzles.Everything involving the laser puzzle involved pushing the buttons to expose the lasers, then solving the numeric code puzzle (which was fun,) but then you had to make the connection between the rods and the buttons, and then you had to push the buttons once more to discover which shape belonged to which laser. And finally you had to push the buttons again to reactivate and set the lasers. All to what end? So you could be duped by Ruby and actually blow up the bridge instead of saving the people? And aside from a bit of commentary by Ruby, no further mention of the horrific deed is made???? Disappointing.

On to Chapter 4.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Welcome.

Tell us what games you’ve played. What style of game you like to play. Any questions you need answered. Any questions about where to find something.

We’re here to help.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Chapter 4. I’m back to really enjoying the game. I needed to confirm something I was about to do in the beginning of Chapter 5 was the right thing to do, I looked at my WT ... and it ended with the ending of Chapter 4. Did a little more research. Somebody may have said it earlier, but I was totally unaware that, from the beginning of Chapter 1 to the end of Chapter 4 was close to a five-year wait! I glad they finished it! Now I just have to finish it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Chapter 5. A great game. Although I don’t think I have the patience to wait for the completion of the sequel that was implied at the end of the game. Only two problems with this section. I had to look at a WT for the waterfall door puzzle. I don’t know if there are multiple solutions so I looked for the “correct” position for the center puzzle piece and took it from there. This puzzle would have benefited from a Reset option. I also discovered, after the fact, that there are multiple things to do with caught fish before feeding it to Gunther. Once Gunther is fed, all the other options disappear. Too bad. I don’t feel like replaying immediately just to complete some achievements.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just played Mystery Trackers - The Secret of Watch Hill SE version. Elf, the wonder dog, is still alive and well. While supposedly produced by BigFish Games, the actual work is still being performed by Elephant Games. Voice acting is good. Music is OK, if a bit monotonous. Graphics are fine. Neither overwhelmingly beautiful, nor underwhelmingly ugly. Puzzles are not terribly difficult, but occasionally tedious. Perhaps there a a few too many HO scenes, but they are of sufficient variety so as not to become annoying.

The essentials of the game is that a government-funded lab is doing some experimental with a synthesized entity with the hope of helping people with memory issues and/or other forms of dementia. Something goes wrong. You are sent to the town to find out what went wrong and fix it. A side twist is that your parents worked in the lab 15 years ago when this unfortunate event occurred. That makes finding the cause and fixing the problem all the more relevant. All in all an entertaining game.

Except ... it is awfully short. I should have guessed as much. The game’s demo gives you 90 minutes to finish. I finished in 38. I bought the game thinking that everything after the demo’s end had stretch the game out to four hours. That was not the case. I finished the game in slightly under two hours. That doesn’t make the game any less entertaining. But I will leave it up to you as to whether that’s sufficient “bang for your buck.” If there’s a BOGO sale going on and you have a game you want to get, this might be the “free” half of the equation. Or, if you need a quick fix and have a lot of credits to spare, give it a shot. Otherwise ???

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-03-05

PM

Great games I have downloaded and played them

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also just finished playing the three games in the Detectives United series by Elephant games. Maybe I should say “almost finished” because there were problems.

The first game was basically there to set up the premise. That is, three different detective game series have joined forces creating the titular Detectives United Group. The main influence seems to be the Mystery Trackers series, although Elf the mascot does not make an appearance. The first game is very short. Under two hours of gameplay. But it does set the stage quite well for what is to come.
Which means you will understand the mechanics of changing the person you play in order to solve different parts of the mystery.

Episode two in the series started out very well. Unfortunately I ran into a game-oriented glitch, and was unable to proceed past a certain point. Very strange. I restarted the game, but came to the same dead end. I reinstalled the game. Ditto. I reinstalled the game client and the game. Same result. Very strange. The game was functioning on my screen. Music was playing. Curtains were wafting in the breeze. I could move my cursor, but I could do anything. The hint button was frozen and I could not back out of the room or use the map function. As a result, I can neither give the game a thumbs up or thumbs down. A different player with a different computer might breeze right past this point with no problems at all. I saw no mention of the problem on BFG. So it is what it is.

BFG did send me a coupon good for any version of any game, so I got CE version of Episode three. It, also, is a bit short. But it comes to a very satisfactory conclusion. However, the bonus game, which I haven’t finished, seems to be almost as long as the game itself. So, seing as I got the CE for the same price I paid for the SE of Episode two, it’s a good deal. And I would recommend looking into the series.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I used to enjoy the Mystery Trackers games. They always had good solid stories with a bit of quirky humor, but the later ones seem too formulaic.

I played the second Detectives United game and didn’t have the problems you had. It was a pretty good game with a good story and decent puzzles although I don’t think I would give it a resounding endorsement.

I also played Mystery Case Files: Moths To a Flame. I thought this one was funny and the puzzles were enjoyable, as is usually the case with MCF.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top