• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Finally getting back to playing some pointandclicks… introducing my young daughters to The Secret of Monkey Island (Special Edition), and started DOTT remastered with my wife.  At some stage need to complete Sumatra: Fate of Yandi too.

It’s good to be back pointing and clicking. :-)

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m playing Disco Elysium and it’s quickly becoming my favourite game ever. I love the latitude it gives you in defining your character (especially regarding his political stance), how this freedom helps it avoid hasty conclusions of any kind, the depth with which it depicts a world that, despite not being our own, never really falls into the realm of fantasy or science-fiction, the tenderness it has for its glorious loser of a character and his ever-ongoing inner struggle between the paths of downfall and redemption, the gloomy, nostalgic atmosphere that sometimes lets a glimmer of hope shine in the most unexpected places, and, above all, the fact that, for all the complex issues and serious thematics it raises, it never, ever takes itself seriously. If I were to reincarnate into a video game (heh, why not) it would be this one.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m currently playing The Longing, a game with a unique concept. A combination of adventure and idle game. (I had to look that one up. Shifty Eyed) The player controls little Shade, who is all alone in a vast underground system of caves and has to wait for 400 days in real time to wake the sleeping King of the cavern. No restarting, no saving. In theory you can start the game, watch the introduction, leave and come back after 400 days to see one ending. But there are of course ways to speed up time. It’s a game of exploration and overcoming obstacles that have to do with passing time and human feelings like loneliness and depression.

I think it’s one of those games that you either love or hate. Shade can’t run and walks very slowly, which annoyed me a lot at first (great exercise in patience) and is bound to turn off many people. Fortunately you can bookmark caves, have Shade walk there automatically, exit the game and next time you play he will be waiting where you want him to be. 

It’s literally early days yet, but I love Shade and his longing.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Karlok:  That sounds pretty cool.  Since I’ve recently played Shadow of Destiny, Life is Strange, and even games from zero escape series, I’ve been intrigued by how game developers are playing with this concept of time.

Speaking of playing with time, I wanted to use this chance to give my first impressions of AI: The Somnium Files.

Let me be clear, I bought this game because someone said it was made by the guy that directed zero escape games.

This is not an escape room puzzle game.  Let me rip that bandaid off right now.  I was disappointed.

This is an investigation game a lot closer to the sherlock holmes series like crimes and punishments or the testament of sherlock holmes. 

This game has some silly plot devices and humor in it, that I think at times kind of doesn’t match some of the seriousness of the mystery.  There is a plot point that the detective can get a mob boss to spill secrets because he threatens to tell everyone he likes japanese pop idols??? Honestly I count that as a negative.

Much like the zero escape series, the protagonist likes to make puns when inspecting his surroundings.  I like that stuff.  Harkens back even to sierra and mucasflemm days. But this protagonist is a bit more of a perv than previous protagonists.  I miss being Jumpy or even Sigma <3

In addition to pointing and clicking and collecting clues and interrogating people, you also control an AI in the dream world that collects clues and can overcome mental locks, so that witnesses can testify, or we can learn what angle to press a suspect to get him to cave.  Sadly this is pretty weak.  The controls are great because it just let’s you walk around in a full 3d world with a character model, unlike the 1st person point and clicking of the rest of the game.  In the Somnium, you solve puzzles to undo mental locks, and whatever the goal is behind the mental locks.  The problem here is that these somnium puzzles work on dream logic.  Basically no logic at all.  They are not hard as far as I’ve gotten, but they don’t make sense, they are strung together with just random things connected.

Maybe I will change my opinion as I get farther (further?  shit I forgot which one) along, but this game needed a stern talking to.

If you like Sherlock games or ghost in the shell or psycho pass, or zero escape games, then I think you will enjoy what’s in store here.  If you are like me, and your favorite thing about adventure games are the creative, yet coherent puzzles, then you might be disappointed.

P.S.  I forgot to mention there’s some weird time jumping mechanic that hasn’t even come up yet, but I’m assuming either it’s just chapter skipping or maybe it is a relevant part of the plot like in previous games in the zero escape series.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Karlok - 14 March 2020 08:14 AM

I’m currently playing The Longing, a game with a unique concept. A combination of adventure and idle game. (I had to look that one up. Shifty Eyed) The player controls little Shade, who is all alone in a vast underground system of caves and has to wait for 400 days in real time to wake the sleeping King of the cavern. No restarting, no saving. In theory you can start the game, watch the introduction, leave and come back after 400 days to see one ending. But there are of course ways to speed up time. It’s a game of exploration and overcoming obstacles that have to do with passing time and human feelings like loneliness and depression.

I think it’s one of those games that you either love or hate. Shade can’t run and walks very slowly, which annoyed me a lot at first (great exercise in patience) and is bound to turn off many people. Fortunately you can bookmark caves, have Shade walk there automatically, exit the game and next time you play he will be waiting where you want him to be. 

It’s literally early days yet, but I love Shade and his longing.

The time element certainly makes The Longing more interesting to me than if it had been just a normal point & click adventure. Normally you are running about doing quests and tasks, but having a timer and no particular goal other than to wait changes the stakes somewhat.

Still not sure if I’ll play it, but interesting anyway.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Interrogation. So far a very interesting game, different than your usual adventure game, no puzzles to solve to speak of so far, you just interrogate suspects.

I do like it, and it does seem to have a plot of some sort.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am now playing Secret Files 3. Finally out for IOS. It’s not the best game by far, but it was cheap. The review posted here is spot on.

I only recommend the game to people in love with the series. It does have a few good points, like the humor. It also has some good graphics too.

I have secret files 1 and 2 on the DS and it’s interesting to see how much graphics have improved over the years.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Funny I just got SF3 too since it was in a bundle that was great value.  It’s not bad, but as you say far from great.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished SF3. I had been looking forward to this game for quite sometime as I’ve played the other 3. I understand that none of these games are masterpieces or anything like that. The good news about this one is it is as good as the other 3 so if you are a fan, you’ll like it.

I like Nina’s humor, outright funny at times which makes up for the derivative plots and crappy mini games.

What’s interesting is digital prices vs physical game releases. I often payed up to $59.95 for these games on the DS (deluxe versions imported from England) vs the $3.99 to $9.99 on the average for these games as digital releases. However, I can still sell those games for what I paid for them as they are in mint condition.

But, physical game releases don’t happen on IOS, so I’d have to buy a Switch to go back to that.

I doubt there will be another secret files game, but if there was I’d buy it. I wish IOS games came out closer to the   PC release date, this IOS release was 7 years behind the PC release.

Heart

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Du Lac and Fey. Should never have bought this. I’ve never played a game this buggy and broken. Just when I finally find a way around one game breaking bug after hours of googling and tweaking I find another a couple of minutes later. How did this game even get released?

Also playing Observer for the first time which I’m loving so far.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I just started disco elysium. I can safely say its not what i was expecting… what was I expecting though? I have no idea. This is immediately turning into a wild ride… Its definitely in the vein of planescape: torment… except i dont think theres combat at all. A lot of the time im grasping to make sense of the skill checks… and the skills themselves…. It definitely feels like an adventure masquerading as an rpg… and its got me hooked so far.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am now playing Mirages of Winter and I can safely say its not what i was expecting…but actually much, much better. Quite a fun little game and it does have some educational value as well. Can’t wait to see how this game finishes.

Heart

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-01

PM

Lucien21 - 17 April 2017 09:31 AM

Currently on Part 3 of Thimbleweed Park. Loving it so far.

Hey, I’m also playing Thimbleweed Park Smile I’m on part 6.

Looking for all the Lucasarts in-jokes, easter eggs and references is so much fun!

Before Thimbleweed I had completed Broken Age, Psychonauts (not adventure game) and Sam and Max Devil’s Playhouse for the first time. Also enjoying King’s Quest 2015.  Grin

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Started Broken Sword 3 today, loved the first two. Don’t understand how you screw the controls up so royal though. At least everything else about the game is pretty great so far.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Phantom88 - 05 June 2020 02:36 AM

Started Broken Sword 3 today, loved the first two. Don’t understand how you screw the controls up so royal though. At least everything else about the game is pretty great so far.

I recently replayed BS3 and the controls are fine with a controller, bad with keyboard. The biggest problem is the camera imo. Would have helped especially some of the games lesser moments if the player was able to move the camera.

I’m currently replaying BS5. I’m not very fond of it, in some ways I actually think it’s a lesser game than BS4. The story is ok, but everything is so sloooow, with unnaturally long pauses in dialogues and slow reacting and moving characters. I remember having the same issues with the game the first time around, actually ended up left-clicking at the end of each line of dialogue in order to speed things up to a somewhat natural flow. I play it in chunks, losing interest pretty quickly each time I play.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top