• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Observation, new game by the makers of Stories Untold

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I loved No Code’s previous game Stories Untold, so I’m dying to play Observation. Too bad it’s not on Steam and GOG. I’d have to use Epic Store, which I’d rather not because of all the negative things I’ve read about them. Does anybody here have positive/negative experience with Epic Store and its launcher?

PS: it’s getting good reviews Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Now I’m interested too.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok,

I recently played Untold Stories and loved it! I had played the demo a good while back and thought it was pretty ingenious so when I discovered the full game for free at Epic Games Store I knew I had to have it. At first I wasn’t thrilled with having to download and use (another) client/launcher since I already use Steam but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for free games Wink I haven’t had any issues, so if you are used to Steam then you should be fine with it.

Btw, I was not aware of Observation, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will definitely check it out!

Edit: Actually I lied. I already knew about Observation, me and a few friends had talked about it a couple weeks ago. I love all things scifi and getting to play as the A.I. definitely has me intrigued. What I did not know was that No Code developed it. That is a huge plus!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Good to know you haven’t had any problems. Apparently Epic Games copies stuff from Steam accounts, lots of players had their Epic account hacked, and their customer service sucks. At least that’s what I’ve read. It’s true that every company spies nowadays, but I’m still on the fence.

Bad Mojo, Obra Dinn, Cube Escape, Stories Untold… I like your taste in games.  Cool

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Speaking of Bad Mojo, just saw this… https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025410/Metamorphosis/ Interesting.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I liked Stories Untold, but unfortunately had to uninstall this after 20 minutes. They made the atmosphere way too unsettling and it felt like a horror game, which wasn’t indicated in the description. Maybe I’ve become more sensitive since I played Stories Untold but I felt they could have toned it down here. Subtlety works better for me than constant grating static, panicked voice acting and sinister words flashed at you. 2001 A Space Odyssey did subtle creepiness brilliantly and didn’t need all that.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished this today (started yesterday evening). Was definitely worth the play, though that’s easy for me to say since I played it as a part of Xbox Live pass, which cost me 1€/3 months. So basically free.

Anyway, I don’t think the game is perfect, but it is very engaging both in story and gameplay. The idea itself is nice, player being the AI. This also allowed some plot points to work, as in AI wasn’t smart enough (or consider important enough) to report some of the things that a human would have immediately reported to others.

The game is a thriller and it is a bit scary, but there are no jump scares and at least I didn’t encounter any deaths/dead ends. Absolute majority of the game there is no danger of any kind, though the atmosphere manages to often still feel kind of tense. I don’t have the heart to play many of the horror games but this wasn’t bad, I would recommend it if one isn’t completely against horror elements. Just having a space mystery will most of the time be a bit horrorish, as the space is a scary place.

The puzzles are mostly exploring the station and accessing the different controls. A few of them have timed elements. Exploring is done with security cameras or “drone” (I forgot the actual name).

The saving system seems to be pretty bad. I thought the “loading icon” or whatever it was in the corner indicates a save, but it didn’t. Had to replay a bit when I got back to the game. So not a good game to play a bit here and there.

I haven’t played Untold Stories but will definitely check it out too.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I thought that while Observation does have an interesting story, it is not a good game at all. It is really brought down by the terrible control scheme, at least on PC. I found the playability to be bad on all the methods I tried to play it. I only played it through because the story was engaging, but I can’t otherwise recommend it.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played it on PC but with a controller. The camera panning is slow and controlling the sphere is often disorienting, so controls are indeed a bit frustrating and definitely made me lower my score a bit too.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I also should have mentioned, I wasn’t a huge fan of the puzzles either. I found it to be basically a collection of busywork used to disguise the fact it had hardly any genuine gameplay in it. As a whole, it would have made a better movie than a game.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well there I somewhat disagree. I mean it would have been a good movie, but I think being able to play it myself made the experience better, not worse.

There is much more gameplay than in many other “interactive movie” type adventures. And I didn’t really mind that it is mostly “busywork” as it fits the setting. The player is an AI, those tasks are not supposed to be hard for it and its whole fuction is to do the busywork for the people.

But yeah, some of the puzzles obviously could have been better, there’s no phenomenal design to them or anything. The exploring would have been awesome though if the controls were better.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

millenia - 07 February 2021 11:27 AM

I haven’t played Untold Stories but will definitely check it out too.

I’d get onto that pronto. Observation was a big letdown in comparison.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I liked Observation more than Stories Untold. Not that Stories Untold was bad, but I REALLY enjoyed Observation. No problems with the controls (gamepad on PC), apart from a few moments when the player spend time outside the spaceship. Well crafted puzzles too. Would have been game of the year 2020 for me if it hadn’t been for Paradise Killer.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top