• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The St. Christopher’s School Lockdown

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

SG59 - 02 October 2017 03:29 PM

I find it quite concerning how quick people are to light their torches and grab their pitchforks in this industry. There’s nothing else out there quite like it and I find it quite sad to see the beast this industry has become. It’s getting so bad, I tend to just ignore the social media side of it all now and simply focus on what I’m interesting in.

These people spend years of their life crafting their skill in art, programming, sound, animation and so on and they can spend years on each project just to be told what they spent 2+ years on gets a 4/10 or destroyed by gamers because there’s one minor thing they don’t like in the game.

I don’t think it’s limited to gaming, SG59. I’ve seen it happen lots of other areas as well. It’s the nature of social media that the worst of humanity ends up drowning out all the people trying to make something positive of it. (Or at least, making it very hard to overcome it.)

Less so here, of course. Smile (Most of the time.)

In my experience in dealing with developers (which is the majority of them in this genre), I don’t find most mind honest criticism, even the exaggerated, hyper-passionate kind. The 4/10s and nitpicking may suck, but it comes with the territory of “fans” being fan(atic)s, and that’s usually balanced out by the equally enthusiastic 10/10s and gushing praise. Rather, it’s the perpetually hostile people pushing toxic agendas that really do the damage. Dealing with such people (or even reading it) is a soul-sucking experience that accomplishes nothing except cause resentment and drive a wedge between creator and public. Everyone loses, and for nothing.

(Hence the reason I refuse to let anyone imply an honest developer is a cheat.)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SG59 - 02 October 2017 03:29 PM

These people spend years of their life crafting their skill in art, programming, sound, animation and so on and they can spend years on each project just to be told what they spent 2+ years on gets a 4/10 or destroyed by gamers because there’s one minor thing they don’t like in the game.

Yeah but Devs no matter who they are also not monolithic entities to have total free hand to be left unchecked or free from criticism
There have been alot of cases of abuses and bad business practices from the Dev side

You dont become moral authority as soon as you start making a game

it’s the perpetually hostile people pushing toxic agendas that really do the damage.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2042/#33149

And ask Veru how much i encouraged him on that time through PMs
and later gathering my friends to back the project
There is nothing perpetual about it

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Of course developers should be held to account for their failings, particularly during Kickstarters—in a fair, rational, respectful way unless proven they deserve no such courtesy. Entirely the opposite of (effectively) calling them cheats and liars.

As for the “perpetually hostile” comment, I wasn’t referring specifically to you. The internet is filled with bile-spewing trolls that wreck everything for everyone. But nor does showing support for something several years ago have any bearing on whether one is perpetually hostile NOW, especially to such a degree.

Perhaps you simply don’t understand because English isn’t your first language, but accusing someone of a scam is a very serious accusation that had sure better be substantiated by facts, not casually wielded as an insult. As I said, words have meanings.

Frankly, beyond the obvious disrespect to the developer, this whole discussion disappoints me greatly. Why can’t we just bloody well look forward to playing a really interesting looking game that a small indie team has been pouring themselves into for years? I will never understand wallowing in negativity, especially when something GOOD is about to happen.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jackal - 03 October 2017 12:01 PM

Perhaps you simply don’t understand because English isn’t your first language, but accusing someone of a scam is a very serious accusation that had sure better be substantiated by facts, not casually wielded as an insult. As I said, words have meanings.

Agree on many of that, but you know i enjoyed Lostplanet alot, got 360 just for Deadrising
Onimusha is like my one of my fav series, and i was like jumping on Mightyno9 KS
(same producer who i was fan of)
In the end Inafune became Conman for many fans, his old fans, including me
This conman meme is everywhere, same for many videos calling Schafer a fraud
Both are synonyms for scam, even though both delivered final product
Both had backers who had perceived expectations in product and service that wasnt met according to expectations
Maybe i got in memes storm , but thats a side effect of KS and its delivery model

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 01 October 2017 04:08 PM

Does anyone know of any other outlets for the game though? I don’t mind using Steam but it’s not my 1st port of call to buy a game.  Smile

Game is out on itch.io

https://classroomgraffiti.itch.io/the-st-christophers-school-lockdown

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

wilco - 09 October 2017 04:01 PM

Does anyone know of any other outlets for the game though? I don’t mind using Steam but it’s not my 1st port of call to buy a game.  Smile

Game is out on itch.io

This is only the first episode? I would like to know the plans for the rest of the series, as I never buy incomplete games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 09 October 2017 04:40 PM

Game is out on itch.io

This is only the first episode? I would like to know the plans for the rest of the series, as I never buy incomplete games.

First chapter of a saga, not sure how many. Game is 8-10h so it’s full length

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve been playing for approximately 90 minutes and encountered a few technical problems. The most annoying one is that both my Help icon and my Locker icon (for saving, restoring, quitting etc) somehow disappeared. I don’t know when or why, only noticed it when I wanted to save again. I’d already saved twice, but I still have to replay 30 minutes.  Foot in mouth Sent the developers an email and I’m sure they’ll fix any bugs soon, but I felt I should warn other players. Save often!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-06-12

PM

Bahahaha, Karlok, love seeing that quote from St Chris in your signature!!

In any case, I’m not going to get into the whole debate regarding “is it a scam or not?”, because people have the right to their own opinions, and I guess viewing someone’s work as a scam counts as an opinion… Just about? Tongue Anyway, I’m sorry you feel that way, Nomadsoul, but I can promise that while this DID take us a ridiculously long time, it’s mostly because all of us actually have jobs outside of this project. Even though we did manage to raise a good chunk on Kickstarter (and we could never have made the game otherwise!), none of us were paid a salary for this, and have all been working on it out of love and passion for the project, as well as due to the responsibility of getting it to the backers. But we couldn’t neglect our actual livelihoods in the process, and that, sadly, sometimes meant that we couldn’t progress as quickly as we would have liked. Still, we’re very proud of our final release, and if you don’t like it, that’s absolutely okay! Not everyone needs to be a fan (or even tolerant of the product Tongue).

Karlok—we’ll have a look at the bugs you reported (I assume you sent them over to our help email address… .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), correct??) and try to get that ironed out A.S.A.P. That’s the first we’ve heard of THAT particular bug, how bizarre (and how frustrating that some of this stuff only appears to come out after release… yeek!!!). I’m very sorry if it affected your experience at all, but we’ll resolve that as soon as we figure out what’s causing it. Itch.io allows us to release patched versions, so you should be able to download it as soon as we have that uploaded! We’ll message you and let you know when that’s done. Thanks for reporting it!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

LaneyBerry - 10 October 2017 04:04 AM

Bahahaha, Karlok, love seeing that quote from St Chris in your signature!!

I’m not exactly a fan of Mr Yiannopoulos either… Smile

Karlok—we’ll have a look at the bugs you reported (I assume you sent them over to our help email address… .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), correct??) and try to get that ironed out A.S.A.P. That’s the first we’ve heard of THAT particular bug, how bizarre (and how frustrating that some of this stuff only appears to come out after release… yeek!!!). I’m very sorry if it affected your experience at all, but we’ll resolve that as soon as we figure out what’s causing it. Itch.io allows us to release patched versions, so you should be able to download it as soon as we have that uploaded! We’ll message you and let you know when that’s done. Thanks for reporting it!!

Yeah, I’ve exchanged emails with one of your teammates. Will continue playing later today and if it happens again, I’ll be sure to take a screenshot. I was enjoying the game, very nice graphics too.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

To anybody playing the game: Don’t play the Voodoo minigame (until they’ve fixed the bug) and your Help/Locker icons won’t disappear. Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Game is out on itch.io

Thanks wilco & it looks like they’ve now got an updated version.

Karlok - 10 October 2017 05:00 PM

To anybody playing the game: Don’t play the Voodoo minigame (until they’ve fixed the bug) and your Help/Locker icons won’t disappear. Smile

I didn’t have any problems so I guess that issue’s been fixed for anyone that may have encountered it?

I’ve only played for a couple of hours, enjoying it a lot & I just love the artwork!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well I’ve managed to get a little into Day 2 & left it at a good point where I just need to focus a little more to get a puzzle exactly right.

I’m loving the artwork + the story & the gameplay so far.
On the downside the loading screens seem to be very slow in places but I’m patient!

But annoyingly I had to fiddle with the screen resolution to be able to look at a certain ‘object’ in the inventory properly as the lower portion didn’t display & also in one close-up in particular the ‘X’ to back out couldn’t be accessed as it brought down the menu which obscured it leading me to having to log-off to get out of the game altogether - changing the screen resolution did help though! 

Apart from the slight technical problems one in-game aspect which in theory seems a nice idea I just don’t like in practise mood enhancing - sorry it’s tedious! Otherwise it’s a lovely game! (so far!)  Thumbs Up 

Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now completed the game having spent at least double the time than the advertised 8 hours in St Christopher’s School & despite a few technical hitches/glitches here & there I’ve enjoyed every glorious minute as the game IMO is excellent!

Some of the puzzling is dastardly but in a good way with some challenging well-integrated stand-alone puzzles along with some infuriating multi-stepped inventory type ones that reminded me of playing Broken Sword for the 1st time with no help! Thumbs Up

But even better, when I said I’d completed the game, that was just following one choice!
I reloaded to a previous save, changed it & am still trying to fathom out how to get another ending. There’s other things to be discovered too I know!

I see the game has finally turned up on Steam today so hopefully everyone that loves a good classic point and click game will buy from somewhere!    Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Is anyone else playing this? Karlok? Is anyone here at AG going to review it?

This is such a good game with so many variables to approach some dilemmas at the very least & also includes some very good stand-alone puzzles (IMO!) In my mind also the game would be very worthy of a 5 star A+ rating that reflects adventuring at its best but alas let down badly by so many glitches -  but despite, all within the game is doable (I think?) 
Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top