• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Comedy adventures

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

What are some of your favorites?

I feel I may have missed some of the best ones of the last decade or so and there’s no filter on the main site to only get the funny ones. I still get a good laugh out of the old Lucasarts classics, and my other faves are Discworld, Companions of Xanth and Starship Titanic. But those are all old. Some of the newer stuff I have tried has not been great - I disliked Al Emmo and The Next Big Thing, and some of the humor in Book of Unwritten Tales felt forced and tiresome.

Which must sound like I’m fussy, but really I’m not. There must be newer games as funny as Discworld and Day of the Tentacle? *crosses fingers*  Laughing

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Since I’ve enjoyed Al Emmo, I don’t know if you’d like games I found funny. The truth is - there’re not much of them looking in post-2000 era. Even though not perfect, I’ve found chatter in A Vampyre Story more hit than miss. Ceville is not a laugh-out-loud game, but has a decent underlining humor. To the Moon is far from comedy, but has an occasional sharp humor. Haven’t played them yet, but Edna & Harvey and Deponia might be your cup of tea. Also, I seem to be the only one who didn’t find Simon the Sorcerer 4 so atrocious.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Get a DS.

The Phoenix Wright games are hilarious!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Since you have already played Daedelic’s Deponia and Edna&Harvey; , why don’t you try Botanicula? True, there are no funny quotes (or quotes whatsoever Tongue ), but there are many funny moments that offer lots of laughs…

More traditional humorous adventure games that you didn’t mention are Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon and the first 2 Simons, both of them pretty old too but classics and must-play.

More rescent humorous adventures are Telltales ToMI and S&M games (I recccomend ToMI).

EDIT: A Vampyre Story is great too.
EDIT 2: Perhaps you would like to have a look at the AG Community Playthrough for “The Space Bar”!! It’s humour is just great.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

+1 to the whole Phoenix Wright series. Totally hilarious. I also found Ben There Dan That to be quite funny.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

You enjoyed Deponia and Edna, so you should play Harvey’s New Eyes as well. Smile
Not many new comedy adventures. I had lots of fun with Sam&Max; Season 1-2.

If you like Steve Meretzky’s humor, the Space Bar is a must play too. And one of my favorite humorous games of all times is ancient Zork Grand Inquisitor.

PS: Yes, Callahan’s and Botanicula. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Most comedic adventures these days aren’t all that funny. Not that the old ones gave tons of belly laughs, but the amusing parts just seemed more… amusing, than they do nowadays.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions…

TimovieMan - 16 October 2012 06:25 AM

Get a DS.

The Phoenix Wright games are hilarious!

That’s a good idea, I didn’t think of that. And I didn’t realize they were so cheap! This might have to go on my Christmas wish-list Smile

diego - 16 October 2012 06:13 AM

Since I’ve enjoyed Al Emmo, I don’t know if you’d like games I found funny. The truth is - there’re not much of them looking in post-2000 era. Even though not perfect, I’ve found chatter in A Vampyre Story more hit than miss. Ceville is not a laugh-out-loud game, but has a decent underlining humor. To the Moon is far from comedy, but has an occasional sharp humor. Haven’t played them yet, but Edna & Harvey and Deponia might be your cup of tea. Also, I seem to be the only one who didn’t find Simon the Sorcerer 4 so atrocious.

Ah yes I’ve played that one, and quite enjoyed it. It wasn’t hilarious but was still fun to play. I’ll have to take a look at those others. As for Al Emmo, it’s not that I didn’t find it funny I just found it mean spirited at times. Maybe I empathized too much with the poor guy.

Sefir - 16 October 2012 06:27 AM

Since you have already played Daedelic’s Deponia and Edna&Harvey; , why don’t you try Botanicula? True, there are no funny quotes (or quotes whatsoever Tongue ), but there are many funny moments that offer lots of laughs…

More traditional humorous adventure games that you didn’t mention are Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon and the first 2 Simons, both of them pretty old too but classics and must-play.

I love the Legend Entertainment games and have played them all Grin Botanicula looks charming and unique, I’ll have to look into it, thanks!

Fien - 16 October 2012 08:15 AM

You enjoyed Deponia and Edna, so you should play Harvey’s New Eyes as well. Smile [

If you like Steve Meretzky’s humor, the Space Bar is a must play too. And one of my favorite humorous games of all times is ancient Zork Grand Inquisitor.

Yes anything by Meretzky is a riot and I’m sad to have missed that Space Bar playthrough! I forgot about Zork Grand Inquisitor, played it a long time ago and loved it. I’ve got my sights on Harvey’s New Eyes already, the first Edna & Harvey was amazing Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 16 October 2012 09:32 AM

I’m sad to have missed that Space Bar playthrough!

It’s still going, and it’s going sloooooowly, so you can still join and catch up…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 16 October 2012 01:52 PM
Zifnab - 16 October 2012 09:32 AM

I’m sad to have missed that Space Bar playthrough!

It’s still going, and it’s going sloooooowly, so you can still join and catch up…

Yes Zifnab, join us, why don’t you. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-10-16

PM

Not a new game by any means, but the funniest adventure game I’ve played is certainly Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. The voice acting is top-notch and the humor is relentless. It’s my favorite adventure game (in case you couldn’t tell by my forum handle). I laugh just thinking about Whittlin’ Willy sometimes.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I have a very strong preference for comedy adventures, and the general decline in quantity and quality of these has been a big part of why I don’t play as many adventures as I used to.

My favorites of the last decade:

Tales of Monkey Island
Ben There, Dan That, and Time Gentlemen Please
Machinarium (not laugh out loud funny, but whimsical)
Sam and Max Seasons One and Two
Portal 1 and 2 (I actually don’t consider these adventures in any way, but I know others around here do. They are very funny, however)

That’s kind of it. I found the writing in Autumn Moon’s games pretty lacking, even if they are beautiful to look at. Telltale’s been sort of hit or miss, with the exception of the games mentioned above.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found “A Vampyre Story” to be very funny - I would recommend it to anyone. Secret Files 2 is very funny at times too and I also recommend that one too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top