• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Genre of Star Control II and alike games?

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-10-17

PM

Jackal - 18 October 2012 12:49 PM

Star Control 2 is clearly a cross-genre hybrid (resource gathering and ship building are definitely not adventure elements).  I haven’t played it to know whether it belongs here at AG, but from what I understand it’s certainly adventurey enough to be discussed here, at least.

Anti, you’re welcome to go ahead and post your game’s name and Kickstarter link here. If you were looking for permission, you’d have probably found it easier to just ask for it. Wink

Agreed and thank you for permission. I tried, I tried to write, but in this Kickstarter madness I never had a moment to do that! Besides, we were discussing genres so nicely - I didn’t want to interrupt that discussion.

I think our game is fitting into Adventures just fine, despite it’s combat system (automated, by the way - but you will have to build your ship and find what will work best for you).

I’ll double link to the first message too, so it won’t be lost in this hot discussion.

Link to the game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodogames/divine-space-sci-fi-space-arpg

By the way, thanks to our backers, we just got $10,000!

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

Jackal - 18 October 2012 12:49 PM

Star Control 2 is clearly a cross-genre hybrid (resource gathering and ship building are definitely not adventure elements).  I haven’t played it to know whether it belongs here at AG, but from what I understand it’s certainly adventurey enough to be discussed here, at least.

Star Control 2 is a real classic. I really recommend trying it out, whether you think it’s adventurey enough or not Smile
Be sure to try the auto-combat option if you do not like the combat parts (although they can also be pretty fun).

It’s become open-source, free to download, and ported to many platforms. Available at:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I think the optional parts of a game should be counted in what a game is. A lot of adventure games have optional puzzles and they’re still seen as adventures. That’s why the Star Control series is seen by many as action/strategy with adventure elements, even though you can skip the action bits.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Matan - 19 October 2012 04:39 AM

Star Control 2 is a real classic. I really recommend trying it out, whether you think it’s adventurey enough or not Smile

I play all types of games and own all three Star Controls. The problem isn’t whether they’re adventurey or not, it’s that they’re on a long list of other games I’ve always wanted to play and probably never will.  Meh

Regardless of the adventure merits of SC2, I must say that I’m just not seeing it in your game, Anti.  (Not to say it’s not interesting in it’s own right, but if there’s anything adventure-related in there, I’m missing it.)

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-10-17

PM

Jackal - 19 October 2012 02:55 PM
Matan - 19 October 2012 04:39 AM

Regardless of the adventure merits of SC2, I must say that I’m just not seeing it in your game, Anti.  (Not to say it’s not interesting in it’s own right, but if there’s anything adventure-related in there, I’m missing it.)

What adventures is, in my opinion? It’s travel. Interaction with other characters, solving riddles and quests. Moving through storyline - from mysterious beginning to the active and dynamic middle and to the end, where is a culmination of the whole story.

We are working on a complicated quest system that will allow us to make trees of events and ways to move through the plot.

Traveling, you can meet other characters, talk with them, cooperate with them or trade, ask questions or gain information. For me, it’s the spirit of a good adventure, but if you see adventures as, say, Sam & Max hit the Road - yes, it’s a different game.

I hope this explains how we are going to develop the game!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top