• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 16 October 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess Under a Killing Moon is where the Tex series begins in most people’s mind. With 3D environments that can be fully searched for clues and FMV characters, it was very much ahead of its time, and still holds its ground today.

I guess some might find it to be a bit too much on the goofy side at times, and I definitely like the alien plots (MM, TPD) better than the mutant plots (MS, UAKM, Overseer) in the Tex games. And the section at GRS might not be to everyone’s taste (replaying it, I found it pretty OK once you’ve realized you can hide in the offices during the security sweeps instead of running away like crazy). But it’s still a fantastic game. And it even features celebrities, with famous in the early 80s Hollywood actress Margot Kidder getting top billing in the credits for playing an unnamed barmaid with 5 lines! (OK, there’s also James Earl Jones, who’s genuinely famous and has a great part as the Big PI in the Sky.)

Also, if you feel like you know that line in the screenshot by heart and you’re not sure why, it’s because it was used for the soundcard calibration in the installer.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

This and The Pandora Directive are on my queue. I hope to play them in the next 2-3 months. Last year I played Overseer in the community playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Need to catch up on Tex before Project Fedora!

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Loved the games (#3,4&5), loved the stories. My only wish is for the new game to have less keyboard controls.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Under a Killing moon and the Pandora Directive are among the finest Adventure Games ever made. Period.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Under a Killing Moon is where Aaron Conners joins Chris Jones in designing the games. The first two Tex Murphy games were co-designed between Chris Jones and Brent Erickson, who is now working at Harman Music Group.

The first two games will always be apart of the canon for me though.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

UaKM was the first Tex Murphy game I played and I still consider it even better in terms of atmosphere and storyline (not in gameplay however) than the Pandora Directive. Instant classic.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow - 17 October 2012 04:44 AM

The first two games will always be apart of the canon for me though.

Just to be sure: “apart of the canon” or “a part of the canon” ???
Kinda makes a big difference… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Hmmm, I just decided to do a reply of Under a Killing Moon tonight. Smile Looking forward to it. Smile

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top