• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Warning! Playing Scumm Games and Classics Can Cause a Serious Adventurer’s Block :)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Advie - 10 October 2012 04:27 AM

i hope i made even a slightest point here.

Sure, the point you’ve made is that you’re still comparing the BEST examples of years past with WORST of today’s, as if they’re the definitive representations of each era. Only now you’re making up examples of the latter. Wink

I could compare puzzles between, say… Resonance and Jack Orlando and it would appear like we’ve come a long way since 1998.

If you’re going to compare eras, then at least be fair enough to compare the best against the best or the worst against the worst.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 10 October 2012 12:01 PM
Advie - 10 October 2012 04:27 AM

on the other hand in a modern adventure with the same circumstances the manager defiantly will say something like ” i can not give you a costume unless you have an invitation ” ..Boring Boring why did you have to say it, i would have figured it out myself.

I don’t agree with your statement (or at least not with the example given).
Your MI2 example is actually an example of a puzzle that doesn’t even let you know it’s a puzzle.

Exactly

The second example gives you direction (get an invitation) without spoiling anything. You still have to figure out how to earn, win, steal, fake or otherwise obtain an invitation. The puzzle is the same, but this time around they just gave you a hint as to where to start, while MI2 didn’t.

i see no need to be giving a hint, anyway )

it reminds of something i played lately ato SF3 when Nina escapes the the car after an accent she needs that box which is far a way and when opens the compartment to find a Gliding Ruler which ((Sounds like a Puzzle is solved!)) but she generously have to say something like"a long “ruler the must be used for short handed people” Foot in mouth  Meh 

If anything, it’s an improvement, imo!

if this is an improvement by anychance it gave the ability for gamers to finish their Adventures in very less time.

—————

Jackal - 10 October 2012 12:31 PM

If you’re going to compare eras, then at least be fair enough to compare the best against the best or the worst against the worst.

if i have to compare i would not have an idea coto mpare which with which ;the 1stGF) with the 2ndTLJ of the AG 100 Adventures of ALL Time.

so if i could (if please) refer to PC Gamers Magazine and to the Adventure games at their (considering their Release time amount and positions their) Top 100 PC Game of ALL Time http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/16/the-100-best-pc-games-of-all-time/

that list was posted February 16 2011 and i think to the the Adventure Games in a Global Gaming List would surely show a different respective .

94. The Last Express
Release Date: 1997

83. The Curse of Monkey Island
Release Date: 1997

81. Kings Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Release Date: 1992

80. Grim Fandango
Release Date: 1998

58. Day of The Tentacle
Release Date: 1993

39. The Longest Journey
Release Date: 2000

37. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
Release Date: 1991

8. Portal
Release Date: 2007

only 8 Adventures!!Pan
we can surely deny it as well as the list (judges) doesn’t have any idea what Adventure Games ARE! Sarcastic

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie -

i see no need to be giving a hint, anyway )

it reminds of something i played lately ato SF3 when Nina escapes the the car after an accent she needs that box which is far a way and when opens the compartment to find a Gliding Ruler which ((Sounds like a Puzzle is solved!)) but she generously have to say something like"a long “ruler the must be used for short handed people”

if this is an improvement by anychance it gave the ability for gamers to finish their Adventures in very less time.

That’s where I disagree. I don’t think of it as a hint if it’s just a general direction.

A puzzle should make itself known in a game. If all you get is “I’m not going to give you a costume”, then you don’t even know whether or not you’ll need a costume. It’s a puzzle, but you don’t know it’s a puzzle.
You seem to think that makes it a good puzzle. I disagree. If you don’t know it’s a puzzle then it’s a very badly designed puzzle to begin with.
If you get a “I’m not going to give you a costume, unless you have a reservation.”, then at least you know that the puzzle is to get a reservation. It gives you direction, but it doesn’t help you whatsoever in obtaining a reservation, so it doesn’t diminish the puzzle in the slightest.
Yes, this “nudge” (you can hardly call it a “hint”) will probably save you some time, but that time will otherwise only consist of frustration in not knowing what to do. Frustration in games is a good thing to get rid of.

Your SF3 example is different. There they’re giving too much of a hint by telling you how to use an inventory item. That is indeed an example of a puzzle that practically solves itself.
Not so with the reservation-example (as you still need to find out both where and how you can get a reservation).

Advie -

only 8 Adventures!! Pan

Can you blame them? There’s more than one game genre, and if they want them all to be represented, then they’re going to have strategy games, RPGs, platformers, sports games, shooters, racing games, survival horrors, fighting games, flight sims, musical games, etc. within the list.
Given today’s market for adventure games, 8 in 100 sounds about right. We’re a niche genre (and have been for quite some time now), remember?

Edit: you missed Anchorhead at #67, which is a text adventure, so it’s 9 out of 100.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Yeah having 8 adventure games in a top 100 that covers every genre is actually pretty good…

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

I wouldn’t consider Portal a adventure game(maybe puzzle/platformer ?) or 8th place(much lower), for me it played out more like a platformer(that is where the challenge came from on the challenge maps).

Its such a shame the Portals had a delay or else it could develop some awesome stuff like the defrag community.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Adventure - 11 October 2012 03:27 PM

Yeah having 8 adventure games in a top 100 that covers every genre is actually pretty good…

so therefore you can surely see that the 7 of those 9 (which are covering the Adventure Genre) are ALL Classics ...

i didn’t say it, these are the fact like i said it before to Mr.Jack

and i had to take this Opportunity/Chance to re-stress on this/my point .

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yes, those 7 games are all certainly exceptional! (Hey, what do you know, they actually made a word out of being a noteworthy exception.) Grin

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

badlemon - 09 October 2012 01:18 PM
Fien - 09 October 2012 10:18 AM

its short or long term memory is no different than other inventory objects

well, it acts and looks like a normal inventar, but the fact that you can “carry” everything in your surroundings and talk about it makes it something totally different and really pushes your brain to actually think about your puzzle. 1 - the possible combinations are much more so try-everything-on-everything is no longer an option. 2 - the option to talk about a theme you’ve chosen is a great way for the player to actually participate in a dialogue and not just click all the possible options. Something I hadn’t seen well made since the era of text adventures.

I haven’t played Resonance but I like this kind of mechanism. However, I don’t really think of it as groundbreaking. Edna & Harvey had something like a ‘memory’ where you could drag any object from the surroundings to an inventory bar and use it from there as a theme to talk about. In that game it seemed like a natural extension of the inventory. Resonance sounds like it developed the idea a little further by letting you use memories together to deduce things.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

rareh - 11 October 2012 03:51 PM

I wouldn’t consider Portal a adventure game(maybe puzzle/platformer ?) or 8th place(much lower), for me it played out more like a platformer(that is where the challenge came from on the challenge maps).

As a puzzler with a narrative I think Portal is as much of an adventure game as Prof. Layton or Puzzle Agent, just with platforming element.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top