• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 9 October 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Tex Tuesday continues with Martian Memorandum. That was my first Tex game; we played with my parents at the time of its release. I remember thinking that that mysterious woman on the box looked like an interesting character… And then you meet her in person and she’s just someone’s mum with horrible 80s hair(*) and a tacky shirt.

(*) I know, I know… “Horrible 80s anything” is a pleonasm. But I felt that in this case it was worth insisting.

I have a certain fondness for MM, though it’s hard to say whether it’s because it does indeed do some things right or just nostalgia. The conversation puzzles are definitely obnoxious, as are the various dead-ends. And the gameplay is poorly balanced, with a first half on Earth that’s just talking, talking and more talking, and a second half on Mars that’s almost only standard adventure stuff with little progress on the story front. But I liked the mystery, and the way the story mixed classic noir investigation, the idea of a mysterious, advanced Martian civilization, and other themes such as the mutants and the way they’re treated.

To me, Tex is one part Sam Spade, one part Indiana Jones and one part Guybrush Threepwood, and I feel like MM was starting to get the balance right, even if there were some gameplay problems here and there.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Ahhh! It’s still MONDAY? I just KNEW this week was going to suck.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

What? I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about…  Innocent

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Well, that’s a relief. Grin

This week is still probably going to suck, though. For me at least… Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top