• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

“Small town” vibe games?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You know, the “Twin Peaks” likeness. Having that “50s”, road or B-movie feel would be a plus. Some titles that I can think of:

Dark Seed 2 - it’s weird, but I remember it having a nice atmosphere, mixing mystery, horror and good ol’ FMV.

Harvester - ok, it would be way too much bizarre even for David Lynch. But it has a similar kind of eeriness like Dark Seed 2.

Black Mirror 2 - and I’m thinking of the first half of the game in a small coastal town. I liked this portion, but unfortunately it ends quickly as we travel to England, and it’s kinda undeveloped to a full potential.

It Came from the Desert - talk about a B-movie. I’ve always wanted to play it, but had some technical troubles with game being too fast when I tried it couple of years ago.

Can you think of some more?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Hi Diego,

I like this thread. Smile  am a big fan of the Twin Peaks vibe. I have only played Black Mirror 2 that you mentioned below. I liked that game. Dark Seed 2 really picked my interest, I seem to have missed that game. I did some quick research on the game, looks really cool. Is it necessary to have played the first one to fully understand and appreciate the second part?

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mmm, not an adventure game but Alan Wake has a great small town atmosphere.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Niclas - 17 September 2012 07:18 PM

Is it necessary to have played the first one to fully understand and appreciate the second part?

I don’t think so, but don’t take it for granted since I’ve played it more than 10 years ago. Here’s the the beginning of the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Never watched Twin Peaks so I could be totally off, but for small town vibe check:
Diamonds in the Rough
Lost Crown
Necronomicon
Shadow of the Comet
Shady Brook

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Diego,

Where can I get this Dark Seed 2 game? Can I get it DRM free somewhere, and will it work on modern computers? Thanks

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition are probably the most Twin Peaks-inspired games, but they’re not adventure games. I can’t think of any adventures with that specific rural America setting.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Might I recommend Shivers 2? The whole game centers around learning more about the townspeople, their relationships, etc. The only thing is that you’re alone and don’t really interact with them.

It’s not necessary to play the first Shivers - completely separate stories. But I think Shivers 2 has what you’re looking for in terms of the small town vibe where everyone is connected.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Niclas, you need’nt have played Dark Seed but it also has a small-town atmosphere and is well worth playing.  I used to live in Woodland Hills where it is placed and I recognize some touches, especially the dirt path that runs behind the houses and the placement of the shops.  I believe one of the developers lived there as well and the Mike Dawson character is modeled after him.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

ooh, i’ve been looking for something twin peak-ish for quite some time. when i first heard of Alan Wake like 4-5 years ago (don’t remember exactly) I was very interested. I imagined something like a action/adventure/horror game, something like silent hill but in that twin peaks atmosphere and with much more adventure elements. I was very disappointed from the gameplay videos so I never gave it a try.  I can’t think of any adventure that reminds me of that atmosphere.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top