• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best Text Adventures

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hello.

So, I’ve only played Bureaucracy (Douglas Adams wrote that one, by the way), which was pretty good, and the recent CYPHER, which was pretty bad. Anyway, these two got me interested in the whole text adventure thing, so can you give me some recommendations, please?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

My favorite Infocom games are Trinity and A Mind Forever Voyaging. Legend Entertainment has made great text adventures with clickable pictures. I love TimeQuest best. You can download the free program Winfrotz and play all the old Infocom games and most modern ones. For Legend’s games you need DOSBox.

At ifarchive.org you can find lots and lots of free games. Recommended: Curses and other text adventures by Graham Nelson (most of them very hard); Anchorhead (great atmosphere, Lovecraftian horror); Photopia by Adam Cadre (no puzzles, powerful story, very short)

PS: If you like Douglas Adams, you should also play his Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and the graphic adventure Starship Titanic.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I like Steve Meretzky’s sense of humour so I’ll recommend his games, which include titles like Hitchhiker’s Guide as Fien mentioned, the Spellcasting 101 trilogy, The Superhero League of Hoboken and the Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Thank you, Fien.

I just beat Photopia, that was a very good recommendation. It’s barely interactive enough to be called a game, but storywise it’s among the best games I’ve ever played. Very powerful.

I’m going to try a few of Cadre’s other games now: Shrapnel, I-0, and Varicella.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

All of Adam Cadre’s adventures are great.
Another of my favorites is Spider and Web, playable online here

Of Infocom’s adventures the first one I played (and still my favorite) is Trinity. I still have it in the original box with the comic book Smile

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Basically what Fien said. I’m not the biggest fan of TimeQuest though—I prefer both Gateways and Eric The Unready.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

When I first started playing adventure games - it was Text adventures done by Infocom on my C128 computer - they were fabulous too.

The best one was “Beyond Zork” - $49.95 well spent. Trinity was good too - and my first adventure game.

Tongue

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top