• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I finally found the time to sit down with the game again today. I think I’ve reached quite far into chapter three. Luckily found the hedgehog after a only a few minutes of of aimless wandering around but was annoyed that it didn’t accept the blackberries I had in the inventory to still its hunger. By then I hadn’t even found the area behind the foot with the glass shard with the two vättar and the apple that for some reason the hedgehog preferred for food.

Anyway; I’m now seriously stuck. I have got into the cave with the bergrese but can’t seem to do much in that room (a piece of the wall fell down when using the leftmost rune, but not sure if it meant something). What I think I need to do next is give the svartalv another glimmering object (already gave him a coin) in order to fill the cup with his beloved silver, melt it in the melter and pour it into the mold to craft a bell to make the gruvfru do her thing. But what glimmering object!? I’ve tried giving everything in my inventory (including the piece of copper that I for some reason carry around) to the svartalv, but to no avail. I think I’ve tried everything on everything but things just don’t move along.

I still kind of enjoy the game, but the puzzle design continues to bog it down. It’s a bit too hard/abstract for its own good. And like someone else said, it’s lazy to use the “it didn’t happen that way” response to perfectly logical actions/combinations while the correct solution often makes less sense and does so only in hindsight.

Well. well. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious and that I’ll find out what next time I give the game a try. But if some kind soul can gently point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Veovis - 07 February 2021 11:58 AM

But if some kind soul can gently point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

You need to add a substance to an object to make it glimmer. The substance is naturally protected, but you already have the necessary tool for exposing it.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Thanks Pegbiter! I finally got it, but the solution didn’t exactly make me more positive towards the puzzle design…Using the piece of rock on the roots must have been the only thing I hadn’t tried to do before. For some reason I thought the main thing about sawing through those roots was to pick up, well, pieces of those roots (for some still unclear reason). Not to extract sap, especially since the narrator or creature comments that the roots are already covered with sap before putting the saw to them. And one would think that the copper wire that we (again for some unclear reason) carry around naturally glimmers more than a piece of rock covered in sap.

Having solved that I was soon also done with chapter 3. I guess I’ll give chapter 4 a try, although the puzzle design is beginning to annoy me quite a bit!:)

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Move on without me this week, amigos. I’ll combine ch.3 & 4 in one by the next due date. Thanks!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The vast majority of us managed to escape the mountain caves unscatched (despite some possible hate towards a specific hedgehog….) Meh

We are free to move to chapter 4.

Chapter 4 is not a big one. But it has a couple non-inventory puzzles that spread the variety a little bit. Ofc we will meet new creatures (and possibly old ones as well)! I always see it as a “prelude to Chapter 5 (the biggest one)”.

Start from the Burial Grounds. I am sure you will find your way as always.

You have 1 week (until the 16th of February) to finish the chapter, though I may speed up the process if I see that the majority has managed to finish it earlier. As I said, small chapter.

And do not forget: Your elemental powers are important. Smile

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Chapter 4
I have to say that I loved the cave lock puzzle. This was right up my alley. Pure logic. I wish there were more of those. On the other hand, I had trouble with the ‘tablet’ puzzle. I was trying to fit in all the thunder, rain, steam, tornado signs, etc. as per the snake’s message. I find those types of challenges open to interpretation as to the emphasis on the wording. “Crashing down” really means thunder to me.
The rest of our protagonist’s travails were pretty straight forward (in a way that means I didn’t get stuck, but found items that worked ), with a little pixel hunting for the roots.
The crow’s message was more ominous this time - unspeakable horror. With all the ghosts and ghoulies we’ve seen so far, it will be interesting to see how they portray this.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished chapter four. Not that short I think, but maybe that’s because I was walking around completely stuck for quite some time before even finding the burial ground. This may be my favorite chapter so far. Maybe I would have thought making one of each element (tornado, wild fire and thunder in addition to the default ocean) complete in that tablet puzzle would have made more sense, but I tried getting all the water ones complete next, so no biggie. But that puzzle was borderline underclued (unless I missed something). But as a whole I enjoyed the puzzles more in this chapter compared with the previous ones.

Looking forward to the last chapter!

Edit: And after reading colpet’s post without spoiler tags I realise I probably solved the tablet puzzle with pure luck. I just figured the ocean tablet was a clue to which other runes should be completed and the ones reacting to the water rune turned out to be the correct ones. Must have got the order between them right through sheer luck! It never occurred to me that the whitesnake’s riddle was a clue to that puzzle.Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Made it through the end of chapter 3. I have to say it’s been a bit of a grind. Which is another way of saying I’m not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would. The dark atmosphere was supposed to be an asset. To me, it’s just depressing. So much so that it’s hard to find joy in any success. Not sure I will finish this game. Not sure I even want to.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished Chapter 4. Glad to see some proper puzzles, so this might be my favorite chapter so far too.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the second chapter.
When we first got kidnapped (by mushrooms - WTF?), I thought it was the end of the chapter and went “that’s it?”. Fortunately there was more to come. Smile

The creatures we meet have not been as benevolent, and I’ve a feeling that they’ll be getting worse from now on.
Still not sure where the game is headed. For now it feels more like a lessen in Scandinavian folklore than an actual story. Curious to see where it all goes.

Puzzles are *very* hit-and-miss, and I feel like I’m brute-forcing them more than I’m solving them. Took me forever to burn the bulrush pods, get a makeshift boat and make some wings.
Mostly I just resorted to using everything on everything, and every time something happened, I just went over the four runes for good measure. This came in very handy in the part with the hag, because I’m not sure I would have logically been able to solve that otherwise…

Sefir - 24 January 2021 07:34 AM

EDIT 2: Use your elemental abilities in every opportunity you have and when you can interact with an item/character always go with the “read” option first to get a nice description from the narrator and, if it is an item, go with the “talk” option secondly to get a nice comment from the protagonist. In general, the narrating is so atmospheric that I try to get as many comments and descriptions as possible. Smile

I’ve been doing the read-talk-take order ever since the first screen of the game. Feels like the only order to do it in. Smile

rtrooney - 02 February 2021 02:59 PM

Kind of like being impressed by a player’s musicianship, while not liking the song he’s playing.

That’s actually the reason why I stopped calling some musicians or bands I didn’t particularly like “bad”. Just because I don’t like the song or the genre or the style, doesn’t mean that I don’t recognize the talent involved…

As for the narration in the game, I feel like this is perfect “bedtime storytelling”. I would have probably disliked it if it felt more serious, but since it feels like it’s for a younger audience, I really don’t mind it. Smile

On to chapter 3 for me. I almost want to start this particular chapter with “and now we must face the long dark of Moria”. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished chapter 4 and yes the puzzles were definitely best so far. The game felt actually kinda easy here. I probably took the longest time figuring out how to get to the second small island on the burial grounds. Was pretty stupid of me…

Since I wasn’t really stuck, the chapter seemed rather short for me too. Good puzzles but not much in it storywise. The raven’s prophecy and the beginning of chapter 5 seemed more interesting though.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m also finished and I agree with everything said about the cave puzzles, it was fun figuring them out. Others consisted of several fetch quests for several creatures, not so original this time (the grumpy stump didn’t even come close to the grumpiness of the stump from King’s Quest 6), and I got stuck for awhile finding my way to the Luktegubte’s grave - by the time I solved it, I had already revealed all the hiding flames which, I guess, makes the game non-linear. Yet there’s still no story, and the game is so grim (yes, it’s not scary, but grim nevertheless) that I keep wandering whether it’s the Swedish folklore or the perception of it by those particular devs? Since Heroine’s Quest is also based around Scandinavian folklore, yet it’s full of humour.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Missed this previously:

Sefir - 02 February 2021 03:50 PM

EDIT: For those who finished both chapters, which was your favorite creature thus far? Smile
I have to go with the Ålvor personally…..

I agree. I’m going with the Ålvor as well.
They’re the only ones that don’t seem as dismissive towards us, and are actually appreciative when we try to help them.

I also like the ones from the first chapter that have an actual function, and while perhaps not entirely benevolent, at least they didn’t feel as hostile as some of the creatures in the more recent chapters…

Just finished Chapter 3.

Even though this is a chapter where the incredible darkness makes even more sense than outside, I’m tiring of the gloomy bleakness of the graphics.
I prefer actually seeing what I’m playing, especially if I have the gamma turned up to the maximum.

About the puzzles, I’m going to stop calling them hit-and-miss. They’re mostly “miss”. Basically, I’m pretty much just using everything on everything until something happens.
The only things that actually made any sense were opening the locked chest and using the smelter to create something. The rest of the time I’m just randomly combining inventory items until something useful suddenly gets made. Making a comb and a mirror felt random, even though their use is obvious once you have them, and cutting a root just to coat a piece of rock with amber is just plain nonsensical.
Not to mention the fact that using the pickaxe as a lever to move the boulder, instead of the sturdy stick, should have worked, imo, and using that same pickaxe to get the piece of glass, instead of using the clamps, should have worked too.

I liked that there were a bit more rooms to explore in this chapter, but there are a number of elements in this game for which my patience is starting to wear thin.
The story needs to start going somewhere, and the puzzles need to vastly improve from now on, or I’ll lose all leniency given by the intriguing subject matter and interesting narration.

I’m not counting on the darkness alleviating, though. Tongue
Or on the narrator having anything more to say than “Hmmm, no no no, that’s not how it happened.” whenever you attempt something that’s not correct (which is nearly always).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2021 10:15 AM

Or on the narrator having anything more to say than “Hmmm, no no no, that’s not how it happened.” whenever you attempt something that’s not correct (which is nearly always).

It’s not a funny game really, but it certainly would be suitable here if the game would track all your failed efforts and start being a bit snarkier in the responses. (Seriously, you buffoon, that’s not how it went.)

Honestly the game could still be improved today by just adding those inventory descriptions and some proper hints when you’re getting closer. “First it needs to be warmed up” etc. This would eliminate a lot of the unnecessary frustration.

Also I realised that the hedgehog conundrum wasn’t completely unfair. Already in chapter 2 we are presented with the Älv, who is initially sitting out of reach and thus isn’t interactable. The same thing is seen later on in some other places. While this is not exactly the same thing as the hedgehog, I feel it did give a decent clue that some items can’t be found while just sitting on one’s ass on the bottom of the screen. Though I am still a bit sour.

Oh, and the background noises, I haven’t commented them before and honestly I didn’t really even pay that much attention to them, but my spouse is hanging around in the same space here, painting and other stuff, and he told me he would hand out some kind of reward for the background sound. At least the dog barks in chapter 2 and some other noises in chapter 4 were so realistic that they kept bothering him.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have moved ahead to Chapter 5, since I have a busy week coming up.
I’m stuck, so it doesn’t look like I’m going to finish the Chapter anyway without some help.
There was more of the same type of inventory puzzles, and I actually thought I was getting the hang of manipulating the elements in my favour.
I enjoyed figuring out how to use the lightning to break the Draug free. Finishing the Snake totem had all the clues there, so I knew what to do, but not why. I totally missed why I needed to stop the Strange Spirit. I didn’t know it had something I needed.
I’m stuck trying to get the piece of chain from the wooden post. At least, I think that’s what I need to open the Copper Gate. All the ‘eyes’ are lit, and the lever has been oiled. I have a cup, necklace, cloth, ring, chisel, and papers. Frustratingly, the chisel doesn’t work to get the chain off. 
I believe I’ve tried every combo I can, and if I hear the narrator say those “Hmmm, no, no…” words one more time, I’m ripping off my headphones and throwing them across the room. Pan  Angry

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top