• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure adventure game discussion thread

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 05:59 AM

I really should stop responding to this thread cause I’m monopolizing it. Yes, I have played the Psychic Detective. (I have also played Animal, by the way.) It is most certainly an interactive movie and it plays flawlessly. For instance, while a guy is talking to you through the open window of your car, you can choose to keep listening to him or start following a car that’s leaving the parking lot with an important NPC in it. Whatever you choose, the transition is seamless. There are 12 or 14 bad endings. It’s very hard to find the one and only winning ending, you can click on too many people and things. I needed a WT. The story is very dark and idiotic. I bet I’m one of the few people who liked the Psychic Detective in spite ofits many flaws. 

PS: It’s a DOS game. You could try DOS-box.

I could, although I always found it a hassle with later DOS games getting CD drives and sound to work properly.

Thanks for the insight.

zobraks - 20 December 2012 06:12 AM
Fien - 20 December 2012 05:59 AM

I really should stop responding to this thread cause I’m monopolizing it.

And rightfully so, cause you’re one of a few persons at this forums who had actually bought, opened and played many (if not all) of the obscure games (most of the) people hardly ever heard of.
Don’t stop - let us learn things!

I agree. Fien the Queen! (of adventure)  Smile

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

@Zobraks and Oscar:

Wink

One of these days I’m gonna get a life…  Innocent

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 07:01 AM

Please don’t. Life is overrated anyhow.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 20 December 2012 09:10 AM
Fien - 20 December 2012 07:01 AM

Please don’t. Life is overrated anyhow.

Easy to say 1 day before the Doom. AND - hidden in the middle of nowhere:

Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Easy to say 1 day before the Doom. AND - hidden in the middle of nowhere:

Damn you, Diego, you made me go find a translator again! Just tell me what zamlaten means.

Ik haast me naar Rtanj in de dug-out om te wachten op het einde van het oude en het begin van een nieuw tijdperk, dus als iemand genoeg heeft zamlaten - een plaats is de volgende vraag (hoewel ik zie niet waar en aan wie).

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 10:31 AM

Damn you, Diego, you made me go find a translator again!

Hey, that’s my message you translated into Dutch!

Fien - 20 December 2012 10:31 AM

Just tell me what zamlaten means.

“Zamlaten” is an adjective and it means “silly”, “crazy”, “crazily enthusiastic”.

diego - 20 December 2012 10:02 AM

Easy to say 1 day before the Doom. AND - hidden in the middle of nowhere Grin

Hey, that’s my message you linked to!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Here you go Fien. Brave Mr. Z says this:

“I’m hurrying to Rtanj, to welcome the end of old, and the beginning of new age in the dugout.”

as it was his turn to ask in an Education Quiz. As usual, he’s not doing it Cool but he also states that this time he has a good reason for it. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Crabapple:

Alice: An Interactive Museum - A very strange game that someone loaned me. It had no save feature. You’d essentially save your progress by taking notes of the clues you found. It was full of strange pictures of naked people.

I enjoyed the game though I never got all the cards (I always lost count somewhere).  It was disheartening that you could go through the last door anyway just to have to start over.  It’s on my ‘must finish’ list.

Drolin:

Gadget was a handsome game, made by Hirohito Shono the same artist who created Alice: An Interactive museum, but simple and there was not much gameplay involved.  Seminal for it’s time though, and worth playing just for that.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Dara100 - 20 December 2012 11:38 AM

It was disheartening that you could go through the last door anyway just to have to start over.

Start over, huh? It’s a MUSEUM, where you can interact with paintings and stuff, and find as few or as many cards as you like. Most cards are easy, a few are well hidden. That’s all there is. The game doesn’t even have a save/restore option because there is nothing to save! Every time you start the game it will be exactly the same, cards and all. So how on earth can it be “disheartening” to find yourself back in the museum?

There are several ways that lead outside. I found the action sequence in the chimney quite hard.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Fien, for your information I was never able to get back to the museum once I was outside and had to start over.  If that was not the same for everyone or if there was no ending sequence that required finding all the cards I would have no way of knowing that, and by the way I resent the dismissive tone you used with me and regularly do to others as well, as if only you are the supreme arbitor of other peoples’ experiences.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Dara100 - 20 December 2012 01:52 PM

Fien, for your information I was never able to get back to the museum once I was outside and had to start over.

Yes, that’s one of the different endings. So you’ve found one of several exits and if you want to continue playing you have to restart the game, is all. That’s disheartening only if you believe that you have lost some kind of “progress” you’ve made. But there’s no progress to be made with the cards and you haven’t lost anything. 

If that was not the same for everyone

The game is the same for everyone.

or if there was no ending sequence that required finding all the cards I would have no way of knowing that,

No ending sequence, just a couple of different exits which you may or may not find, based on the card hints. The chimney sequence is the most complex one and the hardest to do because you have to act fast. Find the right card with the relevant hint, no need to find any other cards first.

and by the way I resent the dismissive tone you used with me

Yeah, I know what you mean… I remember the way you treated me years ago just because I disagreed with Your Highness. I bet you have forgotten all about it. But I haven’t.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 04:55 PM

No ending sequence, just a couple of different exits which you may or may not find, based on the card hints. The chimney sequence is the most complex one and the hardest to do because you have to act fast. Find the right card with the relevant hint, no need to find any other cards first.

That’s the one that got me—the chimney. I think it was supposed to produce the “best” ending or something, but I wasn’t fast enough.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Crabapple, you haven’t missed much. I found the chimney exit hard and not very rewarding. You get a few nature screens outside the museum. The biggest reward was making it to the other end of the sequence after dozens of attempts (no save! Frown). I had to switch to a slower machine, I think it was my Win95 computer which I still used sometimes in those days.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

There is a whole bunch of Japanese adventures that fully qualify as obscure to us, for obvious reasons. Do these count?
Worth mentioning:

Tokyo Twilight Busters. Originally a PC98 release, got a DS remake which might possibly reach Western shores. It’s a point-and-click adventure containing some real-time and action segments, plays quite well and has a nice atmosphere of mystery. Some rewarding puzzles are present, such as how to get it working with the emulator (without checking the walkthrough).

Twilight Syndrome. A series of horror-themed PS and DS games which I never tried.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

All the talk about Alice: An Interactive Museum makes me think that the developers just made a confusing game… Crazy

It practically sounds like a pointless game, similar to Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time but at least that one was funny AND it told you it was a complete waste of time to begin with… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top