• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life Is Strange: True Colors

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Luhr28 - 22 March 2021 04:53 PM
PlanetX - 22 March 2021 02:22 PM
Luhr28 - 22 March 2021 07:10 AM

Everyone’s saying the same things as they did for the LIS2 previews. That didn’t turn out so well, did it?

What are they supposed to say? It’s not by the LiS2 dev and what they’ve shown so far looks good.

Maybe something like:
“This looks amazing but I’ll approach it with a healthy dose of skepticism because I thought the same about the last game, and maybe these games are made to look great in a trailer to create buzz but let’s wait for the reviews”

I’m not gonna hold the last game against them. It’s a different dev, LiS 2 was by DontNod this is Deck Nine.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Everyone’s saying the same things as they did for the LIS2 previews. That didn’t turn out so well, did it?

Ok, I checked. LIS2 got a 4.5 review score and an Aggie award. So what didn’t turn out so well?

There are advantages to having two developers, more games for one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Adv_Lvr - 24 March 2021 07:49 PM

Ok, I checked. LIS2 got a 4.5 review score and an Aggie award. So what didn’t turn out so well?

I didn’t check any reviews. Just that the thread was dominated by negative opinions.

Personally? I liked the game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This forum is dominated by negative opinions on most adventure games. I don’t go by hearsay, I read published reviews, especially from here and if it wins Aggie awards that makes a big difference also.

LIS the series is one of our best if not the best selling adventure game series recently published.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 26 March 2021 01:18 PM

This forum is dominated by negative opinions on most adventure games. I don’t go by hearsay, I read published reviews, especially from here and if it wins Aggie awards that makes a big difference also.

LIS the series is one of our best if not the best selling adventure game series recently published.

Heart

Life is strange 1 is good, lis2 sucks point blank period to me. Some posters take things to personally. I liked the raven, some dont, not a big deal.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If LIS True Colors was being developed by Dontnod, I would still be looking forward to it. Because it’s being developed by Deck Nine, there IS NO CONNECTION to LIS2 in any way. The game to be compared to is Before the Storm which I liked.

Heart

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Small sequence from the start of the game but it shows off that Deck Nine’s lip-sync and grasp of subtle expressions is a lot better than what DontNod has been doing.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Agree with you that was pretty well dobe and excellently voice acted.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I guess the facial animation is fully motion-captured or at least based on motion capture data. It looks smooth enough for that at last.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Adv_Lvr - 27 March 2021 07:33 AM

If LIS True Colors was being developed by Dontnod, I would still be looking forward to it. Because it’s being developed by Deck Nine, there IS NO CONNECTION to LIS2 in any way. The game to be compared to is Before the Storm which I liked.

Heart

I’m still hoping for a really good game, but I think in many people’s minds the ‘gold standard’ is always going to be LIS1 - by Dontnod - who also did LIS2, so regardless of who develops LIS3 that connection will always be there. LIS1 will always be the game this one is compared to.

Obviously all comparisons are pretty pointless until the game is actually out…

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

First unedited gameplay snippet for True Colors. It’s a simple sequence that’s early on, as evidenced by Gabe still being alive. So we don’t get to see how the powers are used, which is what I’m most curious about. Still, in terms of a general feel for the characters & such, it looks promising.

The gesture, acting & general animation continues to look improved from previous entries and it’s definitely capturing the lived-in, detail rich, environments the series is known for.

The characters seem likable enough, there’s a line or two that I could nitpick, but nothing compared to some of the legendary cringe lines of the first game lol. Overall I’m getting a good vibe from it, feels like a return to the elements that made the first game great. I liked how Ryan noticed Alyx was uncomfortable with Steph’s outburst and dissolved the situation gracefully.

Still want a more in-depth look at the powers and all that, but yeah, not bad at all so far.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Intense Degree - 27 April 2021 03:16 AM
Adv_Lvr - 27 March 2021 07:33 AM

Heart

I’m still hoping for a really good game, but I think in many people’s minds the ‘gold standard’ is always going to be LIS1 - by Dontnod - who also did LIS2, so regardless of who develops LIS3 that connection will always be there. LIS1 will always be the game this one is compared to.

Obviously all comparisons are pretty pointless until the game is actually out…

I liked Before the Storm so I’m ok with Deck Nine. I’m sure it will be great. Don’t know what happened with Dontnod and Square, but that relationship is over.

Heart

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

True Colors is out today. The wave of reviews that dropped yesterday affirmed the idea that this game is a return to the kind of slice of life/mystery story that made the first game appealing. Many of them also mentioned clever use of Alex’s empath powers. There’s actually been a surprising number of reviews I read that said True Colors is their new favorite LiS. Also worth mentioning it’s evidently around 10 to 15 hours, with 5 or so multiple endings.

I’ll find out for myself soon enough, hope it’s a good one.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 09 September 2021 02:01 PM

True Colors is out today. The wave of reviews that dropped yesterday affirmed the idea that this game is a return to the kind of slice of life/mystery story that made the first game appealing. Many of them also mentioned clever use of Alex’s empath powers. There’s actually been a surprising number of reviews I read that said True Colors is their new favorite LiS. Also worth mentioning it’s evidently around 10 to 15 hours, with 5 or so multiple endings.

I’ll find out for myself soon enough, hope it’s a good one.

Let me know what you think I value your opinion, I’m definitely intrigued by the game

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’ve played through the first two chapters of True Colors and so far it’s fantastic. Right off the bat they nail the comfortable, detail rich environments that made the first game so fun to get lost in. Alex is a really likable protagonist. A surprising number of her hotspot reads actually got a laugh out of me. When you cringe at her doing something embarrassing it’s actually part of her character and not by accident of 40 year old writers trying and failing to sound like teenagers.

The game does a great job of making you like Gabe (Alex’s older brother) to the point where I was still genuinely emotional when his inevitable fate befell him. Deck Nine has been upfront that he dies since the initial reveal trailer, but the build up ensures it hits hard. Plus the ancillary reading (via Text Messages. Journal Entries and a fake Social Media app) does a lot to characterize the townspeople as well.

The tone of Life is Strange is back with this game. It’s a mystery story tinged with paranormal aspects first and foremost. There is a degree of sociological significance you can glean from certain aspects of the world-building—mostly about environmentalism as mountaintop removal mining is part of the story—but it’s not a political screed and no side in the conflict it represents is caricatured to the point of absurdity as in LiS2. It’s handled along the same lines as the first LiS handled real world issues like assisted suicide and cyberbullying.

In terms of gameplay the powers effectively act as mind reading. It adds an interesting dimension to how you make choices. Sometimes you’re rewarded for exploring and reading people’s emotions with extra dialogue options you wouldn’t otherwise have. But it doesn’t play as big a role in the puzzle solving as the rewind ability did. 

On the plus side, unlike LiS 2, there are puzzles & mini-games in existence. It’s all really simple stuff, but varied and effective. There’s one where you track down a missing person by using a comic book they made as a reference. You help an old lady with dementia retrace her steps. They even find clever ways to make the slice of life moments interactive on occasion. I wish it was more challenging, but I’m still glad they’re making some effort.

Depending on how the rest of this game goes it could give the original LiS a run for its money. There are many aspects where True Colors has the edge. I still think the core mystery and appeal of the rewind power is better but I’m eager to see how things progress & how good True Colors can get.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top